BMW 335d test drive

aro03

Reaction score
I've managed to get hold of a 15 plate 335d xdrive for an extended test drive this weekend. After endless DSG woes i've been considering making the switch. Spec of this car:

335d Xdrive M Sport Saloon auto, pre-LCI
Glacier Silver
Adaptive M Sport suspension
Interior comfort package + few other small items

It was dropped off this morning so i've only had a quick 20 minute spin, but my first impressions are pretty underwhelming. Having heard others make the switch from an S4 B8, the BMW is not at all what I was expecting. Far less sporty overall, the 335d feels more like a luxury car with a big engine rather than a luxury sport saloon. In terms of engine/transmission/steering response, it reminds me of the A7 3.0 tdi 272PS quattro stronic loaner I had recently (although the latter was still more fun to drive).

The main area I feel is lacking is the engine/transmission performance, which is far less aggressive. I think the ZF gearbox with conventional torque converter has a lot to do with this. Admittedly once the TC is locked up, the transmission feels pretty fast and effective. However acceleration off the line just pales compared to the kick an S4 stronic provides. The other shortfall is the horribly light steering. Even in sport mode it is lighter than the S4 in comfort, but with another level of numbness added for good measure (I can't believe journalists claim audi's have numb steering compared to bmw ?!!!)

Has anyone else compared these cars? Be interested to hear what you think.

Upload 2015 9 10 15 14 14

I tried a 330D Xdrive before buying my S4, it did not seem comparable to the A4 3.0TDI that I had at the time let alone the S4. Steering didn't feel good, didn't seem to go that well, uncomfortable seats, etc. I was keen to change as I like Audis, but the dealers don't inspire much confidence at times. Also got a much better trade in offer on the A4 than I could have got on the BMW, so now on fourth Audi.

Far less sporty overall, the 335d feels more like a luxury car with a big engine rather than a luxury sport saloon.

I think this phrase hits the nail right on the head. It's exaclty how I felt about my B7 3.0TDi. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, but despite being effortlessly fast, it never excited me in any way. I don't think diesels can ever imbue a car with a sporty feel. They're built to do something different.

Reactions: aro03 and TahirS
The same for me jdp. Came to the S4 from the tuned B8 3ltr Tdi. Torque monster. Absolute efficiency. Thats what they are meant to do.

@aro03 i agree with most of what you say because it isn't a sports saloon, it's a diesel and so it should feel effortlessly quick without the fanfare but about the steering although I haven't drove the model you mention over the years I've learned most BMs are much more direct, give more feedback and are just better in the steering department which I normally attribute to them being rear wheel drive. I recently drove an xdrive 1 series which was quick and exciting so I'm not sure it's the xdrive system but for power and aggression no diesel will feel like your S4, hell the previous s4 b7 feels nothing like the b8 for aggression so I doubt anything else will.

Reactions: aro03
I had a 320d wagon. It was pretty good. Except for those woeful runflats. I would have thought the 335d would have been a bit of a bullet. Unluckily I'll never get to drive one here. BMW, or Audi for that matter, now don't bring bigger capacity diesels in, in that segment of the market any more. Sounded like a bit of a disappointment of a test drive.

Agreed quick cars, interesting you didn't get on with it. Think the 0-60 is fractionally quicker than a standard S4. However, went the extended country road home tonight in Dynamic and was thoroughly enjoying the S4 soundtrack even if half of it is made up. :) Tank range had gone down rather alarmingly by the time I got home. :)

Long live the S4 amen! :s4addict:

Reactions: Keef, chucky1, skiptowncat and 1 other person
I must admit, the first time I drove the diesel I thought the fuel gauge was broken. Definitely their biggest plus. Diesel is a very stable price here. Stays that way due to trucks apparently, and that it accounts for about only 3 percent of the car market. Petrol fluctuates wildly and can vary say $1.40 to $1.65 a ltr depending on the price cycle, relative to whats called the Tapis,( the Singapore index). Our cycle is on the internet and you buy your fuel accordingly when prices are down.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76
I think this phrase hits the nail right on the head. It's exaclty how I felt about my B7 3.0TDi. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, but despite being effortlessly fast, it never excited me in any way. I don't think diesels can ever imbue a car with a sporty feel. They're built to do something different.
I would take a test drive in the latest mercedes 2.0 diesel with 350 Bhp from factory ! I bet you'll get a different feel of the speed that diesel delivers ! Big engines will deliver torque in a big wave which is nothing like a 4 banger engine does !

I dont understand why people are comparing the 335d to the S4? Pretty different cars really. Surely this is an apples to oranges scenario here?

Reactions: aro03
I would take a test drive in the latest mercedes 2.0 diesel with 350 Bhp from factory ! I bet you'll get a different feel of the speed that diesel delivers ! Big engines will deliver torque in a big wave which is nothing like a 4 banger engine does !
Wow! 350bhp from 2.0 litres, that's astonishing!

Wow! 350bhp from 2.0 litres, that's astonishing!
Yep ! I took a ride in a friend's 300 Bhp audi a4 2.0Tdi and it was savagely fast, i wonder what's been done to the internals of that mercedes to support that much boost for 350 Bhp !

I dont understand why people are comparing the 335d to the S4? Pretty different cars really. Surely this is an apples to oranges scenario here?
Yeah perhaps its not strictly a fair comparison but it's the closest xdrive 3 series model in terms of spec and base cost. I want AWD.

The main reason I'm considering this car is because my company car scheme discounts on the 335d xdrive are huge.

Reactions: s3_trev