BMW E46 M3 (not CSL or CS)

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
Cant fault the looks, handling, performance (0-62 in 5-2 seconds) or the power (343bhp)... but the SMG transmission is flawed, and some may consider it slightly vulgar (round my way only rude-boys and knobs seem to drive them...) this doesnt include the CSL which in my eyes is sub-zero just the bog standard M3 coupe/cab

[URL="http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/silver75_2006/m32.jpg"][/URL]

m31.jpg

..I say cool :cool:

Seeing m3 lookalike e36's everywhere driven by wannabe gangstas has really put me off bmws

same here, but the E46 is still a nice car maybe a victim of its own success? :think:

Yea you might be right, i do really like the e46 coupe as a design just seems to have the wrong image.

I'm deciding between 'cool' and 'uncool'?

Decided on Cool, as I still think they command a bit of respect everytime I see one! They are pretty common though, and every footballer has one as a runaround along with their BMW X5's.

Voted uncool as they all seem to be driven by twats. Having said that I still have great respect for BMW's engineering. Plus, not many things sound nicer than a BMW straight 6.

Think they were cool when they first came out but now they're just a bit old hat. There's hundreds of them in Guildford, all driven by morons. That said, they do sound the business.

X5's still rock though.....

I just think that M3 drivers look like at least one of the following.

(1) A t**t
(2) A Drug Dealer
(3) A Chav.

Saying that they are a good lump of motor just shame about the peeps that drive them round my way. Would have an S4 over it any day of the week.

Lost its kudos a little over the years, but still an awesome car especially fully loaded in Carbon Black! A fantastic used buy, some examples getting as low as £15k now. Cool car.

When I was looking to change from a 911 earlier this year I looked at a 3 month old M3....a real beauty and sounded wonderful....until the salesman took me on the road to demonstrate how good the SMG gearbox was.....it was a real turn-off.....changing from 1st to 2nd it almost came to a standstill.....an ideal way to get rear ended....needless to say I declined.
I then looked at a 3mth old S4 and loved it especially when the salesman overvalued my 911 by £4k...yes overvalued....that doesn't happen too often, and swapped for the S4.

gjcknocker said:
...until the salesman took me on the road to demonstrate how good the SMG gearbox was.....it was a real turn-off.....QUOTE]

Saying that, the M3 has various style of driving settings. The hold back which you get from the SMG box when changing gears can be eliminated via a sports function. Once you've played around with the settings, you can fine tune it to your driving requirements. I hired DB9 for my cousins wedding and that seemed to suffer from the same 'problem'. Almost as though a granny was driving a manual car..until I found the sports button.

nevertheless, apart from how common the car is, I think it still has great road presence, and people who appreciate nice cars, still rate them.

Uncool, far too many about, so far too common.

How many B6 S4's do you see compared to M3's on your way to work....

CSL M3 would be cool.

Macduff said:
Voted uncool as they all seem to be driven by twats. Having said that I still have great respect for BMW's engineering. Plus, not many things sound nicer than a BMW straight 6.

:iagree:

Yes tis true is a twats car but id still have one,without the silly gearbox!

i have to admit that i dont like the early e46 shape (as above) but dont mind the post 2001 facelift models

my boss has a 2002 e46 330i and i have to say its a smart looking motor and not too in your face at all

a friend of mine has a M3 CSL and f*ck me is that thing quick... she (yes SHE!!) took me for a run down some country lanes and a blast down a couple of junctions of the M40

needless to say, i was impressed

I thought the only difference between the older E46 M3 and later ones were the LED tail lights? The pic above is of a later spec M3

M3s kept the same front but the normal 3 series coupe/saloon and cab all had the fronts facelifted
AETV999584_1b.jpg

this is the saloon facelift the coupe and cab facelift have slightly different lights again

ohh dear seems like im a rude boy and a knob/ **** around here then!!..lol
well heres a picy of my beast molly :)
4noplate.jpg

i suppose i better go and hide before i leave my fogs on or undercut someone! lol

Must admit i do like the M3 and think it is cool.
But i would rather have Audi than one.

Beerzo said:
Saying that they are a good lump of motor just shame about the peeps that drive them round my way. Would have an S4 over it any day of the week.

Funny that I just traded mine for an S4 for that very reason, as they fell down the price range they just started to fall into the wrong hands, but be careful there are some real driving enthusiasts who still own them.

It's all about the age, when the new one is out next year V8 400+bhp it will be sub-zero, no doubt.

p.s. I have a deposit down already.

:yahoo:

CARACTERE007 said:
ohh dear seems like im a rude boy and a knob/ **** around here then!!..lol
well heres a picy of my beast molly :)
4noplate.jpg

i suppose i better go and hide before i leave my fogs on or undercut someone! lol

Have you thought about Silvertec Bulbs?

Too common around here for my likings

I voted cool as it is still a good looking and performing car with out a doudt
Just to many look alikes about

We have had 3 in our family and still have one. They are underrated and have some serious top end power. The prices dipped 2 years ago, now on the up for a nice one. They suffer from rear subframe issues and rip out the floor so beware. But for price power and chunkiness they are hard to beat. And remember this, without question it is a future classic!

My brother got his M3 with SMG a couple of years ago and I have loved every drive in it. For pootling the SMG box is a bit naff and lurchy and from cold it's ****** awfull and tends to kangeroo a bit. On a nice bit of road when you can get your toe in it's ****** awesome and very rewarding to drive.

Would consider one myself.