BMW "love in?"

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Why was the thread in the A3 forum locked because it deviated a bit from the original post?

Have we moved from an easy going forum to a nazi style one now where anything slightly off topic will be moderated?

WTF?

There were hints that there may possibly be something better than an Audi, so the dissenting voices were silenced :rulez:

I like Audis, I may even have another one, but if the A3 gets replaced by an S4 then I will still need an old-skool BMW to actually enjoy just driving for the sake of it. Some people just won't have it, that a VAG platform is a ****** VAG platform and therefore compromised by the amount of "different" cars it has to hold up.

A BMW platform can only be found under a BMW. (slight exception is the rover 75 which had some bits of a 5-series floor lol).

And the best steering feel for a driver can only be had when there is no drive going through the front wheels...

BMW love-in? I'm here. Here's a pic of the elderly BMW I keep to use in the UK when I'm there.
Image084.jpg

My absolute favourite kind. Something about 'em just fits me perfect. Had about a dozen now :laugh:

And there's a 250 bhp M535i (dogleg 'box, LSD, Bilsteins) working its way slowly towards me. After I'm done getting married this year I should have the cash and room to finalise the deal. then it's the 'ring for me, yay :yahoo:

I'm so considering an M3 CSL, but I want one that hasn't been raped...

so so quick, especially a 'charged one!

And a gorgeous noise as well :thumbsup: just lovely.

If you're not dead set on a CSL you can get a very good result from a normal E46 M3 for a good bit less cash. Bit of weight loss and a supercharger, presto, 4-seat supercar :yahoo:

There were hints that there may possibly be something better than an Audi, so the dissenting voices were silenced

That is utter rubbish. If you want to discuss and post pictures etc of BMWs or any other make or model then please don't use the 8P forum to do so. Use the correct forum and you can post and say whatever you like about BMWs or any other makes.

I would have taken the same action if the thread had gone away from it original postings to start discussing and posting pictures of the A4 or A6 for example.

If members start posting appropiate items in some of the other forums perhaps they will become as popular as the A3 forums.

That is utter rubbish. If you want to discuss and post pictures etc of BMWs or any other make or model then please don't use the 8P forum to do so. Use the correct forum and you can post and say whatever you like about BMWs or any other makes.

then you should have locked it straight away as the thread was about BMW in the first instances....Jesus

How dare we discuss a BMW in an A3 forum!

To start with it was comparing the power of a BMW model with an A3 which is fine. But then it became a 'BMW love-in' with members posting pictures of their particular BMWs etc. As I said it would have been the same if members had discussing another Audi model so it's noting at all to do with it being a BMW. That is why it was closed.

:end_of_discction:

This looks to me like you have come here to make trouble, moderator or not.
We're in the right forum now so why have you come in here to start throwing your weight around?

Power goes to some people's head I tell you.

By the way, my first post was rhetorical. I knew the answer.

I don't drive an A3, I drive an A4. But I've also owned a BMW.

They're all great cars, the BMW i think has the edge for sheer driving 'pleasure', whilst the Audi seems more of a 'cruising' machine.

However - particularly moderators - please don't go the same way as an old Vauxhall based forum went a few years back (yes I used to have Vauxhalls too...), when any post mentioning that any other car was remotelly better than GM's finest was not only 'closed', but the final 'say' in almost each instance was by a moderator clearly stating that threads to that effect were derogatory etc.

That forum died - members just had enough and buggerred off elsewhere.

Finally, a quick point - I've driven better cars than my Audi. But, I enjoy my Audi, and will look after it as it's a good car and worth looking after and suits me and my family a treat at the moment. When the kids have grown up I'll no doubt by a rear wheel drive car again and have some proper driving fun in a car that suits my natural style.

That's my 2p's worth.

Respectfuly

Impster

This looks to me like you have come here to make trouble, moderator or not.
We're in the right forum now so why have you come in here to start throwing your weight around?

Power goes to some people's head I tell you.

By the way, my first post was rhetorical. I knew the answer.

Perhaps you should have said so and not started referring to the Moderators (me in particuler) as Nazi's and then none of this would have been necessary.

And I'm not throwing my weight around, just making sure we keep to the rules. If you don't like it that's your problem, not mine. My job is to act as a Moderator for ALL forums not just the 8P so I will in to this forum as well as any other.

Right, so I hope everyone is happy! Enjoy discussing your BMWs. Perhaps you can make the 'Other Brands and Makes' forum more popular in the process.

It may have been an idea just to inform people that the thread was going off target and maybe to stick to the point, rather than the first post from you being one to close it.

By closing the thread you don't give anyone the chance to "stick to the rules" because you have inhibited any further comments.

I appreciate a mod's job is not an easy one as you have plenty of dissenting voices to contend with, and heavy handed authority certainly is not going to help.

I have been on so many forums where the mods rule with iron fists, everyone is scared to break the rules, its like an electronic prison.

Those of you with BMW's will no doubt know bmwland, if you step out of line there they come down on you like a ton of bricks, that makes it an informative forum only where not much banter goes on.

It makes the place tidier to keep discussions in the right forum, and I do agree that it should have been conducted elsewhere, so why not move the thread rather than lock it?

I know you're new to this role, maybe this is part of the learning process, for you and for others. A warning is better than instant punishment.

in retrospect, maybe this may be better in general chat.

you can move if you like.

Well here's a non-controversial post in reply to the thread topic :) I have no BM experience, but think they are appealing cars and can offer some opinions!:

The E46 3 series was very nice, but I think the E90-93 models don't look right - some colours look better than others, the saloon and estate are ok, but the coupe and the hardtop/soft top one just look out of proportion to me!

I have always liked the Bangle designed ones personally, but I think the E60/61 5 series looks the best of them all - I can see a 530/535d Tourer replacing my A4. Maybe.

The latest 6 series is gorgeous :)

X5 and X3 are a bit take or leave, but X5 if you pushed me! X6 looks strangely appealing in real life.

Never liked the Z3/Z4's but the latest Z4's look nice in the magazines - just not really into 2-door sportscars personally.

My ultimate Beemer? Probably an E39 M5 :rock:

I had an E46 M3 last year , it was my first ever bmw and was pretty awesome , so quick but i dont think i would buy another bmw though , not after owning audi`s :kissmyrings:

rob

It may have been an idea just to inform people that the thread was going off target and maybe to stick to the point, rather than the first post from you being one to close it.

By closing the thread you don't give anyone the chance to "stick to the rules" because you have inhibited any further comments.

I appreciate a mod's job is not an easy one as you have plenty of dissenting voices to contend with, and heavy handed authority certainly is not going to help.

I have been on so many forums where the mods rule with iron fists, everyone is scared to break the rules, its like an electronic prison.

Those of you with BMW's will no doubt know bmwland, if you step out of line there they come down on you like a ton of bricks, that makes it an informative forum only where not much banter goes on.

It makes the place tidier to keep discussions in the right forum, and I do agree that it should have been conducted elsewhere, so why not move the thread rather than lock it?

I know you're new to this role, maybe this is part of the learning process, for you and for others. A warning is better than instant punishment.

I did think of just moving it but the initial part of the thread was fine because it was comparing an A3 2.0TDI with a BMW 330ci. If the thread had started as a 'BMW love-in' then I would have just moved it and put in a note explaining why. But in this case I would have been wrong in some eyes if I did that and obviously wrong in others eyes for locking the existing and suggesting a new thread in 'Other Brands and Makes.

As you say a Mods job is not an easy one and you will always be wrong in some members eyes. But I hope that now the thread is in the correct place for members to chat about their various BMWs then 'almost' everyone will be happy. Personally I'm not anti BMW or any other make for that matter. I'm interested in all cars, I just happen to drive an A3 at the moment. Who knows what I will be driving in the future!

I did think of just moving it but the initial part of the thread was fine because it was comparing an A3 2.0TDI with a BMW 330ci. If the thread had started as a 'BMW love-in' then I would have just moved it and put in a note explaining why. But in this case I would have been wrong in some eyes if I did that and obviously wrong in others eyes for locking the existing and suggesting a new thread in 'Other Brands and Makes.

As you say a Mods job is not an easy one and you will always be wrong in some members eyes. But I hope that now the thread is in the correct place for members to chat about their various BMWs then 'almost' everyone will be happy. Personally I'm not anti BMW or any other make for that matter. I'm interested in all cars, I just happen to drive an A3 at the moment. Who knows what I will be driving in the future!

Another A3 probably like the previous 6 :lmfao: do you think you might actually try some other cars next time round.

And its just typical of this place that if you say any car has the upper hand on the mighty Audi you get flooged to death.:asskicking: IMHO.

Another A3 probably like the previous 6 :lmfao: do you think you might actually try some other cars next time round.

For your information I have owned 22 cars to date. My first was a second-hand original Mini Van, followed by a Mini Saloon and a Singer Chamois. All those 3 were second hand. My first new car was a 1968 Hillman Imp Sort, followed by an 1971 Austin 1300 GT and a 1973 Triumph Dolomite - which was without a doubt the wrst car I ever owned.

This was followed by a 1976 Golf 1600 and then 3 Golf GTi's. All the GTi were different with different engine and gearboxes. Then in 1985 I had an Audi 80 Sport which unfortunately was written off in a accident when someone drove into the back of me whilst I was stopped at traffic lights pushing me into the car in front. When I came home without a car I bought a second-hand 80 Sport to keep me going until the new 1988 Audi 80 1.8E was delivered. In 1991 I changed that for an Audi 90 2.3E. This was followed in 1994 by a Golf 2.8 VR6 which was brilliant and I kept for 4 years. I would have been happy to buy another one but VW has stopped production. So in 1998 I bought my first A3 1.8T Sport. I had a total of 4 of these and they were all different in some way. Two were the original 8L design and two were the face-lift 8L design, all petrol and manual gearbox. In 2004 I bought I first A3 8P and this time it was a 2.0 TDI-PD140 diesel with a DSG gearbox. In 2007 I changed this for another A3 2.0TDI but this time a PD170 but again with an s-tronic gearbox.

This brings me up to date with my latest change to another A3 diesel with an s-tronic gearbox but with the new 2.0TDI-common-rail 140. So I'm now on my 7th A3 but they have all been different.

As far as other cars are concerned I have driven on test or otherwise BMW 1 series and various 3 series over the years. Audi A4s and A6s, TTs plus various models from Ford, Vauxhall, VW, Renault, Porsche, Maxda, Toyota, Nissan and many others.

So you see by now I know what I like and what I want and at the moment the current A3 fits the bill. I cannot think of any other car I would prefer.

And its just typical of this place that if you say any car has the upper hand on the mighty Audi you get flooged to death.:asskicking: IMHO.
As far as this point is concerned no one on this forum (unlike some others)has any objection to you talking about make of any car. It's just that this should be done in the appropiate "Other Brands and Makes" section and not in the A3/S3 8P forum. Yes by all means compare cars in the A3 forums to the A3 but as soon as people start discussing and comparing and posting pictures of their various, in this case, BMW models then that should not be done in the A3 8P forum. The same would apply if members were discussing another Audi model.

Am finding this thread most interesting, for my 2ps worth I prefer BMWs generally having owned 8 against 3 audis. But when looking for a new car thiss time my budget was more wisely spent on an audi. Next time it may be an audi or a BMW all depends on what I can get for my money.

What mainly interested me was posts getting removed for going off topic when there was a long running post in the A4 section a while back that advocated and encouraged violence and criminal behaviour that was left up for a very long time. Tell me to mind my own business if you like but seems like some topics are ok but BMWs are a big no no!

Otherwise great forum but when I read that A4 thread a while back I was a bit shocked and disapointed.

Am finding this thread most interesting, for my 2ps worth I prefer BMWs generally having owned 8 against 3 audis. But when looking for a new car thiss time my budget was more wisely spent on an audi. Next time it may be an audi or a BMW all depends on what I can get for my money.

What mainly interested me was posts getting removed for going off topic when there was a long running post in the A4 section a while back that advocated and encouraged violence and criminal behaviour that was left up for a very long time. Tell me to mind my own business if you like but seems like some topics are ok but BMWs are a big no no!

Otherwise great forum but when I read that A4 thread a while back I was a bit shocked and disapointed.

There was a lack of interested Moderators a while back. Some new ones have now been appointed and things should improve. We do not have any particular dislike on any make of car and, unlike some other forums, we are happy that you discuss any car, providing it is done in the correct forum. This may also make some of the 'other' forums become as popular and busy as the A3 forums which can only be a good thing. We have a VW forum and an Others forum, perhaps we should also have a BMW and perhaps even a Porsche forum.

hopefully these new mods are the ones that instigated the removal of the posts inciting violence in the a4 section. I was pretty disgusted by it and thought less of those posting the threats. This isnt a pub at closing time, most of us are mature adults so it needs to be kept in order.

as for posts in the wrong place, i can see its a thankless but necessary task to keep the site user friendly. Maybe a gentle reminder acts better before a stern telling off and post removval.

Not having a go as i know being a mod is a thankless task, just a newbies point of view thats all.

as for posts in the wrong place, i can see its a thankless but necessary task to keep the site user friendly. Maybe a gentle reminder acts better before a stern telling off and post removval.

In the case of this BMW thread it was not removed just closed to further input with the suggestion that a new thread be opened to continue the discussion in the correct forum. That is the policy I personally will be adopting in the future where a thread goes too far away from the original. It's not meant as a 'stern telling off' just helping to keep the whole place tidy and prompt the use of sections other that the A3 section for non-A3 discussions.

Violence? Never saw that.

Yep, in a thread about someones car getting stolen, various people advocating a gang mentality against the alledged thief. I seem to remember arson got mentioned too. Was absolutely ridiculous.

Another post about someone supposedly selling a dud car also ended up in threats. Some stupid people with tiny brains going for the fisticuffs route.

All post removed now i think thankfully

Yep, in a thread about someones car getting stolen, various people advocating a gang mentality against the alledged thief. I seem to remember arson got mentioned too. Was absolutely ridiculous.

Another post about someone supposedly selling a dud car also ended up in threats. Some stupid people with tiny brains going for the fisticuffs route.

All post removed now i think thankfully

There is certainly no place for that sort of thing on ASN or any other forum for that matter. If you spot anything in the future that we have no yet picked up, please report it using the button top right of a post.