Bobby Singh's Audi S2 avant project

Bouncing doors - so for sometime my rear doors seem to bounce when you close them. Managed to get a used lock that's at least fixed one side:

T8H2UZC.jpg

KFJpiNp.jpg

I also bought a B4 sunroof as parts are getting harder to find - I also used this to learn how to take it apart and then finally changed my drip tray and drip tray arms:

JE2a67l.jpg

aSs7TcH.jpg

Drip tray replacement:

gN71kMF.jpg

rUPfEPM.jpg

HuwDk9m.jpg

EDNahU9.jpg

MNj7EeW.jpg

Roof bars

The paint shop and I was both confused on how the roof bars come off and after some invesigation and lots of wd40 they are finally off.
Im hoping to get the edge roof painted now

9qaZb19.jpg

XNitgFz.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: B5NUT and Sandra
Turbo turned up :)

G8DNv9O.jpg

3Ar7tjV.jpg

Rods

E1FKuVf.jpg

Pistons
1tuNaz4.jpg

Work on the spare ECU has started

ztAlVhk.jpg

Sockets installed

HcMcjFV.jpg

Ported changes from my current tune into prjmod (timing, injector cal and boost control)

f1DAc9U.jpg

Waiting on 4 bar boost sensor but car runs

bPp6VUV.jpg

Cheers

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing, RyanJonS4, desertstorm and 1 other person
Great work Bobby, This looks like a pretty serious build . That turbo looks meaty, looks like an 8374 or similar, What's the HP target ?

Hey Karl - correct 8374 T3, to be honest I don't have a target for power - it makes whatever it makes. I will make the bottom end a 2.5l to help spool, but off course if its too laggy I could downsize after.
I want that 5 pot sound from the group b days haha

Reactions: desertstorm and Bishop187
Can I ask where & what type of bulbs are used in the diff lock button, at least one of my bulbs have failed so may as well replace the lot

Can I ask where & what type of bulbs are used in the diff lock button, at least one of my bulbs have failed so may as well replace the lot
View attachment 251678
I tried looking through my ebay history and could not find the listing, however Im sure I used a thread on the S2 forum - maybe this is of some help:
Cheers

Reactions: B5NUT
Had a look at that thread but did not have much luck finding them. I'll keep searching.

Tracking

ZoSyJZC.jpg

8grDFdp.jpg

i8qGBqk.jpg

These guys managed to get the tracking pretty much perfect, only one side was a pain but we got there in the end

On a side note managed to find a old picture of me in a Audi S2 from the NEC motorshow during the early 90's

M9gGLzm.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: ttelracs, pelhamsdetailing, desertstorm and 1 other person
Hey Karl - correct 8374 T3, to be honest I don't have a target for power - it makes whatever it makes. I will make the bottom end a 2.5l to help spool, but off course if its too laggy I could downsize after.
I want that 5 pot sound from the group b days haha
With a 2.5L bottom end that will make it a lot better off boost and of course it will spool better than the stock 2.2L .
Those are 750bhp capable turbos so I would of thought you would be looking at around 700bhp plus crank hp with 2.2-2.3 bar boost. And those EFR turbos will deliver higher P2C ratios than the Garrett turbos so you can run more than that easily if the engine / transmission will take it.

Reactions: bobby singh
With a 2.5L bottom end that will make it a lot better off boost and of course it will spool better than the stock 2.2L .
Those are 750bhp capable turbos so I would of thought you would be looking at around 700bhp plus crank hp with 2.2-2.3 bar boost. And those EFR turbos will deliver higher P2C ratios than the Garrett turbos so you can run more than that easily if the engine / transmission will take it.
Indeed its very efficient https://www.borgwarner.com/go/TZ8V21

Reactions: desertstorm
Reverse Inlet manifold

U0HEmJX.jpg

Made by BST Germany - being reversed means shorter run and allows for brake servo if I decide to go down that route later.
Running this inlet will mean different Wagner intercooler.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing and desertstorm
So the car had the roof redone:

lTzS0aZ.jpg

vSZ7qNH.jpg

tDrJ7bM.jpg

vPwMxW4.jpg

E98gREu.jpg

Good news is the roof is much better now and with the roof bars out the way it made it much easier.
However, the roof trim still got in the way and it started falling apart when trying to lift it.
I've managed source one from a car being broken so this will need a revisit in the future.

In terms of tuning - I've managed to get wideband lambda going into the ECU

1lAyRHh.jpg

I'm using the following formula:
(((X*0.007212) + 0.3125)) for the TunerPro cal

My lambda controller is set as follows:
0.5 lam @ 0.5v
2.0 lam @ 4.5v

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: B5NUT and pelhamsdetailing
So have you found another MAF fits and will work with the stock ECU and a slight remap?

So have you found another MAF fits and will work with the stock ECU and a slight remap?
No I'm working on getting rid of the MAF and use speed density hence why wanted to get lambda logging into the ECU.
You have a broken MAF? I could flash some chips with a stage 1 tune with SD if you want?

Reactions: Sandra
No it's still working. However they are rare and expensive now. So was just looking around for future options. I'm good for tuning. Someone gave me "homefries" remap chips, however I'm planning on keeping the car stock. However if you have a chips that could bypass the MAF so I could keep the car working until a replacement could be found then I would be interested. Think I'm paranoid about most of the obsolete parts on this car!

Reactions: Sandra
No it's still working. However they are rare and expensive now. So was just looking around for future options. I'm good for tuning. Someone gave me "homefries" remap chips, however I'm planning on keeping the car stock. However if you have a chips that could bypass the MAF so I could keep the car working until a replacement could be found then I would be interested. Think I'm paranoid about most of the obsolete parts on this car!

This has the links for a stage 1 tune with Mafless tuning

Reactions: Sandra and B5NUT

The only real MAF solution i know of is prj:s own MAF swap for a B5 RS4 one. I run this on my B2 90, but it need hardware mods as the speed density do. The maf connector needs swapping for the appropriate one, and som jumpers made into the ECU. So you are basically stuck with your MAF as long as you don't go for the speed density mod.

Engine work

So with the help of a S2 Forum member I got my hands on a AAN block (same as a ABY but for a URs6) - It came from a car with a broken timing belt and the head had already been sold off - 100k on the clock before this happened.
Block had been sitting for 7 odd years like this:

6rWCyGN.jpg

UIVopMp.jpg

K42J7yW.jpg

Done the deal and got it home for a strip down:

Don't think the water pump is usable :)
h2KQzx5.jpg

3litres of oil came which was a good sign:

9pFqqTW.jpg

XONDNP0.jpg

Crank and pistons out - note the main bearings are like new with "95" stamped on all parts so its never been apart I would say

ucrulhC.jpg

Gave the engine a nice pressure wash and its looking a lot better already:

R7icTNo.mp4

R3RwbUV.mp4

With block cleaned - I wanted to get on with the grinding to clear the new rods.
In went the Diesel cranks with old pistons and new rods

hoHf10L.jpg

2PN22ty.jpg

6qZmUSW.jpg

20vt cranks Vs Diesel (top)

VG4B2Lc.jpg

More to come....

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing, B5NUT and RyanJonS4
What will you be doing with the ABY engine in the car?

Starting issue
Had a issue with starting the car when fuel level went below half

Took the fuel pump and pushed some pressure through it and found a bad seal:

UrgYuHi.jpg

Engine block

left it in white vinegar for a few days and the results are very decent

3lyR3zS.jpg

Reactions: desertstorm
Good find on the copper washer. I never tried but is the pump easy enough to remove?

What will you be doing with the bores on that bock, as the top section appear look a bit rusty in the photo's but it could just be the light.

I would be keeping the engine as well. Do you think you would revert it back to stock if you sold the S2?

Block work

Found some metal in the oil pick up so stripped the oil pump to check the condition and it looked mint:

Uh45hcl.jpg

p4VNOoJ.jpg

Tmf5tAc.jpg

7BC6cbB.jpg

Noticed the spring was already skimmed so should have plenty oil pressure

TPS still have the oil pick up rubber and oil pump spring so ordered those new

Torque plate - nice block of alu turned up

xNLZtER.jpg

My cnc guy will machine this soon - I haven't seen many use a torque plate for these engine for boring which seems very strange considering its rare engine to find.

Block condition looks a lot better after a soak in vinegar

dQeRXHG.jpg

S2 sump also landed - time to order a WELD-IN SUMP BAFFLE KIT

QfQiDRQ.jpg

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing
Good find on the copper washer. I never tried but is the pump easy enough to remove?

What will you be doing with the bores on that bock, as the top section appear look a bit rusty in the photo's but it could just be the light.

I would be keeping the engine as well. Do you think you would revert it back to stock if you sold the S2?
Good question - I bought this car to put a smile on my face when I drive it.
I understand it will be worth more stock but my objective was to extract that 80's 5 pot sound from this.
The bore rust I'm not too worried about as I'll be boring it 0.5mm+ to make way for the new pistons

Forgot to answer your question about the pump - mine runs a 044 pump which sits inside the stock basket. However, I believe the pump should be sitting lower and you need to hack the plastic to make it sit lower.
But I failed at removing the basket so just pulled the pump up.

I've ordered this so the pump depth can be adjusted correctly - https://turbozentrum.co.uk/034Motor...Pump-Adapter-Kit-Bosch-60mm-Audi-S4-2000-2002

So had the Air Bag light on for a while now and the error code was:

65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-10 - - - Intermittent

Its related to some bad memory or checksum issue.

I got hold of a replacement item - 8A0959655 but ended up with more errors. In the end I installed 8A0959655B from someone breaking a s2 - no more light :)

KUTzfp4.jpg

Reverse lockout has always been broken on my car (could get reverse when going for first)
After some serious research I found the lever in Germany brand new (note the 5 speed ones are different)

Uvt6nql.jpg

Engine parts keep coming:

Oil pick rubber boot:

yfGnH9x.jpg

CNC guy now has the torque plate and we found the PD 8v head lines up pretty well to the 5 cylinder head gasket:

YIuWkTz.jpg

As I've had the pump out in the past I've noticed the pump could do with sitting abit further down in the basket. So rather than using cables etc to hold it in place I got the correct part for the job:

vOWndWH.jpg

Also, shocking news but the oil pump spring is still available from Audi - So rather than risking a spring thats not seen much action for the last 7 years I ordered a replacement:

8JGPvLe.jpg

Block is looking well I must say - Just waiting on the torque plate before I can move onto the next step:

jrH6nSP.jpg

Cheers

Reactions: B5NUT, NHN and pelhamsdetailing
What a great resto/build! Really looking forward to se this

Reactions: bobby singh
Looking good, I like the fact that the bolt spacing on the cylinder head looks to be the same as a 1.9PD. VAG really do seem to stick with proven concepts and designs. So much is swappable between platforms . It may be an optical illusion on the picture of that oil pump spring but the diameter of the wire on the new spring looks a little thicker?

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing and bobby singh
Looking good, I like the fact that the bolt spacing on the cylinder head looks to be the same as a 1.9PD. VAG really do seem to stick with proven concepts and designs. So much is swappable between platforms . It may be an optical illusion on the picture of that oil pump spring but the diameter of the wire on the new spring looks a little thicker?
Hey Karl the old spring is actually on the left side - I cleaned it with wire wool as I thought I had seen some rust. But to remove all doubts I rather fit a new spring so I can sleep at night.
Plenty parts keep coming so hopefully get the block bored soonish

Reactions: NHN
Sometimes its the simple things that make you happy
Been hunting after this metal ring for the rear light and finally found one in mint condition:

wwCeWcz.jpg

RlrOnWf.jpg

Better than my ghetto fix:

3Iv2Acn.jpg

Front fluid filled dampener arrived

0fV9ujn.jpg

eIi8B6A.jpg

zdCBJHC.jpg

What is the price of the fluidampr, and is there much benefit over the standard pully?

Progress has been a bit slow but managed to wire in the lambda controller with a Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor. This Controller also give output for narrowband control back into the ECU so no need for oem sensor anymore.

UMtUQUa.jpg

Used the old plug from the old sensor for power and narrow band back into the ECU - less wires and lambda controller now only comes on when car is running (just like the heater for the oem sensor)

c2DOk5k.jpg

All connection done via super seal 5pin plug

FhsGy7r.jpg

Straight into the glovebox:

ZkuES68.jpg

RS232 connector available in glovebox for config

5MQxGcO.jpg

Cheers

Block work

Found some metal in the oil pick up so stripped the oil pump to check the condition and it looked mint:

Uh45hcl.jpg

p4VNOoJ.jpg

Tmf5tAc.jpg

7BC6cbB.jpg

Noticed the spring was already skimmed so should have plenty oil pressure

TPS still have the oil pick up rubber and oil pump spring so ordered those new

Torque plate - nice block of alu turned up

xNLZtER.jpg

My cnc guy will machine this soon - I haven't seen many use a torque plate for these engine for boring which seems very strange considering its rare engine to find.

Block condition looks a lot better after a soak in vinegar

dQeRXHG.jpg

S2 sump also landed - time to order a WELD-IN SUMP BAFFLE KIT

QfQiDRQ.jpg

What were the metal bits or didn't you dig that deep or you'd not sleep lol.

Added TFSI coils with a wiring loom from -

Coils I used - BERU ZSE032

ceQUY3i.jpg

I've managed to install the OEM coil cover back
Still need to adjust the dwell time in the tune but these work so much better than the 27 year old coils and wiring. There is now no more random flat spots, rev's nice and clean.

I would like to refresh the injector loom next especially near the cam cover area (heat source).

Quick video

Was messing around with a dragy and clearly shows how this turbo drop plenty of boost between gear changes

bytzIdU.png