Bolt size turbo S3

Solberg

Reaction score
Anyone know the correct size and type for the bolts to connect turbo to manifold when you have a Franken F23 turbo with Chinafold?

I believe Bill uses 12.9 hardness stainless bolts as you can't just use any old bolt... heat will make it stretch

<tuffty/>

yep A2 or A4 bolts (I didnt know what this meant, quick read on goodle and easily found on ebay). Sure Bill supplies 17mm head bolts, you can also get 8mm alen key bolts

The bolts bill supplied with my chinafold came with nordlok washers, might be worth getting some also

Reactions: scotty_24
Bought some off earlier which arrived today from Turbofun in Norway, payed a god damn salary for it, 17gbp ish pluss 17gbp more in transport **** me.

M10 - 75mm length - 8mm allen key - 12.9 grade "Z T", what ever that means.

Only thing missing is nordlocks and a pray that they fit...lol. Old ones where heavy damaged in the threads and the bolts looked like spaghetti(bent). Kept coming loose and blew my turbo gasket, and I went loco tightening the **** again.

20160913 174539
20160913 174717

Stainless A2 grade I have been told is what Bill uses

<tuffty/>

Reactions: scotty_24
Anyone considered trying 1.25 pitch bolts instead of the usual 1.5. Slightly more contact area between bolt and housing/manifold, as well as a surface more normal to the applied tension

Reactions: Solberg
Bought some off earlier which arrived today from Turbofun in Norway, payed a god damn salary for it, 17gbp ish pluss 17gbp more in transport **** me.

M10 - 75mm length - 8mm allen key - 12.9 grade "Z T", what ever that means.

Only thing missing is nordlocks and a pray that they fit...lol. Old ones where heavy damaged in the threads and the bolts looked like spaghetti(bent). Kept coming loose and blew my turbo gasket, and I went loco tightening the **** again.

View attachment 103224 View attachment 103225

I've been running my hybrid turbo and badger5 chinafold gasketless, for around 6 months without any problems, just make sure the two mating surfaces are nice and flat, you shouldn't suffer with the bolts coming loose without the gasket

I've been running my hybrid turbo and badger5 chinafold gasketless, for around 6 months without any problems, just make sure the two mating surfaces are nice and flat, you shouldn't suffer with the bolts coming loose without the gasket

I tried running gasketless(franken f23/franken chinafold) when mine blew now... had a tiiiny exhaust leak sound on high idle. And bolts kept coming loose, so after a drive it would get much worse. Been tightening the bolts a few times and now they are all stretched, wavy looking and threads are ruined. Did not have washers etc though. Think I have to take out manifold and turbo and get it machined to run gasketless. Might consider it if I find out the threads in the turbo is damaged when fitting my new bolts and have to take the turbo out for re-threading.

Nordlock washers is on the way tho so hope the bolts will fit, and sit tight for a good time when I get this crap together again.

A2 grade M10 1.5 pitch thread 65mm long bolts *3
M10 Nordlock washer pairs *3
Gasket less chinafold to turbo

^ Badger spec

Reactions: Solberg