Boooo BMW...

Amchlolor

Reaction score
The Alpina D3.
Used to be a list of £26995
Upped to £28500 now..

Sniff....

Can only assume it's demand that pushed up the price? The D3 got everyone talking since it appeared in EVO.

They must have realised it made the standard 320 pricing look daft.
You were getting a D3 for less than a mildly specced 320D with 37bhp less !

wouldn't worry it will be replaced soon anyway by the new dual turbo 2.0 with 204bhp (323d???) mind you they will have to up the 325d, 330d and 335d too!

When you consider what you can pay for a similar specced A4 with less power the D3 is still pretty good even with the price hike, in the flesh they look pretty good especially those alloys.

They did a review in a relatively new magazine recently called Performance Tuner comparing it to a superchipped Leon 170 (213 bhp) and a MK5 Golf GTi, basically the idea was to compare fast diesels with the Gti to see if they offered a viable alternative, the D3 never came out on top in this review but it did feature lots of good pics etc.

Spin140 said:
When you consider what you can pay for a similar specced A4 with less power the D3 is still pretty good even with the price hike, in the flesh they look pretty good especially those alloys.

You're right,of course.
I'm just pig sick I didn't push for one when they were £26995 OTR...
Bummer.

ive seen 3 pre owned at sytner's,with low mileage,i wonder how much they are on the coast2coast site now?.

I would happily go for a used D3,but I haven't come across any companies that lease used cars ?

There's the added problem that I think they are limited to 100 cars per year.
So the leasing companies may not be able to assist.
I may have to opt out and buy one,if I really want one.

how about a 320d m sport though,with whatever spec you want,and the option to remap,and now with 177bhp.

i was driving mine the other day and even after 10 months thought to myself i realy do like this car.

tinka said:
how about a 320d m sport though,with whatever spec you want,and the option to remap,and now with 177bhp.

i was driving mine the other day and even after 10 months thought to myself i realy do like this car.

But a basic 320D M-sport is £28230.00
No offence,but it would be madness not to go for a D3 instead.
You're getting an extra 23bhp and umpteen other things,including exclusivity, for only a few hundred pounds more.

no offence taken mate,i see your point.
i paid £29500 for mine with 18" wheels,auto,pro nav,met paint,xenons,heated seats,auto lights,ext mirror pack.
i think the only problem with the d3 is you have to pay a higher premium to get the options,but as you say its exclusivity with the d3,and ive only ever seen 2 on the road.

Sounds like you got a good deal Tinka,with all those extras.
I have to go by list price though,being a company car driver.
What would the list price of your car have been ?

if i remember rightly,£33100,which is a lot for a 2.0d,infact so is what i paid,but i wanted it.

got the price off broadspeed,first dealer could'nt match it but the second dealer called me back in 5 mins a said yes i can do it at that price,and the rest is history.

im changing the wheels tomorrow for 19" alpina reps,not the deep dish one's though,as im not to keen on them.

IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/tiptro/PC090106.jpg[/IMG]
blank.jpg

bmw6.jpg

PC0901072.jpg

I quite like that but I can't get used to the new interiors.
I'm thinking my next car will be a 335d coupe.
How's the BMW ownership experience been so far? Had any problems?

Also, do you rate the build quality?

build quality,tbh is on par with the a3,ive had a small niggle with the steering creeking but thats it,its just a pleasure to drive,realy smooth.

tinka said:
build quality,tbh is on par with the a3,

Really ?
I'm hoping for better,TBH.
I've never been that impressed with the build quality of my car at all.
Nowhere near as 'solid' as my previous A4 was.
I'm assuming you find the 3 series a helluva lot more refined than the A3 ?
My wife's new style Clio is more refined (no joke,it's quieter at motorway speeds)

I'm growing to like the 3 series a bit more but cant seem to like the interior! Or the prices. You dont even get leather as standard.

1 series is a bit more reasonable but its far too ugly so instantly not an option

Matt said:
I'm growing to like the 3 series a bit more but cant seem to like the interior! Or the prices. You dont even get leather as standard.

Does leather come standard on any Audi though ?
I suppose some of the outgoing A4 models might get leather chucked at them to clear stocks,but who'd buy the existing model when there's a new one coming ?
The new A4 doesn't have leather standard.

I'm comparing to an A3 S-line which is different class to a 3 series I guess!

And you do get leather as standard on the A3 S-line :)

Matt said:
And you do get leather as standard on the A3 S-line :)

Only part-leather on my S-Line,like a Rover I had 15 years ago !
Leather doesn't really bother me.
I'll take it for nothing,but I won't pay extra for it.

marriedblonde said:
Well I'd say that my beamer is a lot better built than my audi was. It also feels alot more solid.

Then again, at least my mom's 1-series was utter horrible. It felt cheap inside, and couldn't compare to my A3 at all. Then again, my mom sold it after less than half a year, it just wasn't good car.

Sadly, that's what I've felt in 3-series also, with that new interior style they're having. Then again, I haven't had any problems with my A3 in terms of build quality, so I guess all cars are individual..

bowfer said:
Really ?
I'm hoping for better,TBH.
I've never been that impressed with the build quality of my car at all.
Nowhere near as 'solid' as my previous A4 was.
I'm assuming you find the 3 series a helluva lot more refined than the A3 ?
My wife's new style Clio is more refined (no joke,it's quieter at motorway speeds)

yep,its miles ahead in terms of refinment,better to drive,the steering is perfect,and the power curve is smooth,almost petrol like,compared to the a3 which was a sudden urge then nothing.

in terms of build,lets not forget the rft's,which can affect the feel of the car,(ive just fitted 19" alpina reps with normal rubber so it might improve a bit)my a3 was'nt falling apart in terms of build,so thats what im comparing it too,others may have had different experiences,but im not going to say it's much better built just because i have one,just that im happy,and there is'nt loads of rattles,yet.

you must test drive one though,you may well be surprised at the difference.

I cancelled my s3 order and got a 335i coupe - love the car, very smooth as said, happy with the interior and build quality, and service seem good.

Did not know the true meaning about understear until I got used to it not being there.

And what an engine!!!

Just hate being a bmw driver - hence keep looking back at this forum...

Hi Guys, I had to join this forum to give you my 2 pence worth!

I have just ordered one of the last D3 Saloons Allocated for this year.

Heres how it went, I opted out of the company car scheme and wanted something cool, unique, special, economical and fast (ish) Tall order you might say. I was going to order a 320D Msport Coupe and managed to get 10% off a new one. But while on holiday, I rememebred an article in Evo about the D3 that I had read over a year ago, and how much they raved about the car.

So I got back and made it my mission to find a year old low mileage example and save some cash in the process. To my amazement, the cheapest second hand car was a 15k miler for about £1500 cheaper than a new one!

So I rang all the sytner dealers to get a deal, expecting at least 5%, I was shocked, and was politely told to Fur Cough!!

Aplina do not discount at all, and it has really helped resale values on D3s - It is arguably the lowest depreciating car you can buy today. Hence IMHO a far better by then any standard BMW.

Another key point is that the D3 averages 50MPG, a 325D (3.0D) averages around 40MPG and the 330D slightly less.

RE: Price increase, Price was £26995 at launch, went up to £27750. The new price is £28350 but they have upped the spec:

BMW Professional Audio
Rear Parking Sensors

All of which were not on the first generation cars.

Mine is being delivered end of Oct, brought from Sytner Canary Wharf, Their service is excellent!

The D3 will be changing at the end of 2008 where they will be adding 'Dynamic Efficients' - some new technology.

On another note, My friend has a DMS chipped 335D Coupe with around 340BHP. Dont get me wrong, the car was fast before, but now Holy Moly Batman!! Its so fast its mental, Mate reckons 60 in low 5s! and still returning 30-35MPG on combined cycle

Seems like diesels are the future!

CJP80 said:
I quite like that but I can't get used to the new interiors.
I'm thinking my next car will be a 335d coupe.
How's the BMW ownership experience been so far? Had any problems?

Also, do you rate the build quality?
Granted I haven't had to live with a BMW but having been in a 530 I can't see how the BMW comes even close to the Audi for build quailty. Leather - not as good. Plastics - not as good. Look - not as good. Granted I'm basing this on the S3 for comaparison, but that's not that different to a standard A3 inside?

Would getting the 335 after a S3 really be a stepforward in anything else bar fuel effeciency? You know you want the 3.0 L A5!!

Rationale?

Fuel efficiency aside; given that I drive 25K+ a year at the mo. I 'd quite fancy an automatic and a more comfortable ride, along with the rwd dynamics and the knowledge that I'm driving the fastest diesel car in production. Well, outside of the 4.2 Audi V8 oil burner.

Perhaps I just get bored too easy. I'd also love a cayman S!

CJP80 said:
Rationale?
Personally I think the A5 looks nicer and the interior is amazing. Not driven either the BMW or the A5 so can't comment on dynamics. I expect the BMW would be difficult to beat (as always). Although you've mentioned the Caymen which would probably blow the BMW away.

[/quote] Fuel efficiency aside; given that I drive 25K+ a year at the mo. I 'd quite fancy an automatic and a more comfortable ride, along with the rwd dynamics and the knowledge that I'm driving the fastest diesel car in production. Well, outside of the 4.2 Audi V8 oil burner.[/quote]

Ignoring the fastest production diesel (which looking at the mods you've done wouldn't make much difference), what about the C320 CDI Sport? The new C-Class seems to be getting rave reviews. :yes:

As an aside would you really be happy having the fastest diesel in production when a good old petrol (granted a very good one) pulls away from you at the lights! Looking at your mods again, I suspect comfort and fuel efficiency will be the furthest thing from your mind! :whip:

[/quote] Perhaps I just get bored too easy. I'd also love a cayman S![/quote]

I think so... What about Z4 M? Or an old M3? Get a diesel runabout for the day job and something for the weekend. :icon_thumright: