Boost and Oil DIS

Callem

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know its a well kept secret, but can someone please PM me with the addresses and edits that need to be done to enable the oil temp and boost above the lap timer display please.

I habe needle sweep and lap timer, just lacking the one last bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 506
Is this for the earlier white screen DIS clusters? Or non S/RS models etc?

Just wondering why it is kept secret? Are people making money from selling the info or something?

I have messaged him couple of days ago but no reply as of yet, thanks

Is this for the earlier white screen DIS clusters? Or non S/RS models etc?

Just wondering why it is kept secret? Are people making money from selling the info or something?

Yes white screen dis clusters on none rs3 models.

It comes standard on the RS3, and apparently with an eeprom edit it can be done on the other models too. Not sure why its such a secret.

What tool (software) did you use to extract and flash the EEPROM?
I ordered the programmer hardware, just not sure how to extract and flash the software.

Lap Timer
Address 00000060 and bit 5 should be on

Needle Sweep
Address 00000061 and bit 2 should be on

So perhaps it's address 00000062 that is for the boost/oil, or it could be a different bit on address 00000060.

I believe we have the same cluster, I have the 8P0 920 931 T

I don't understand this secrecy regarding automotive on forums tbh.

Edit:
Here is another thread with some more information.

Last edited:

Oswald posted here. He's done it on his.

As to the 'secrecy', alot of this info not being widely known in English forums. The Polish and Russian forums are the place to be for this kinda info

No offense, but that thread isn't clear either. Oswald says it's address 60, 61, and 62, but he doesn't mention which bits you have to flip.
Looking at this post, it seems like 2010+ clusters can do boost/oil pressure, but it's again unclear. My cluster is from 2008. To be honest, don't expect that year numbers are accurate, part numbers should be (although, an example where year numbers should be accurate are the interface box for the Bluetooth addon).

Regarding 'secrecy', I see tons of forums that have this toxic behavior of "like and rep for password". I don't see the point why people aren't willing to help others and hide the knowledge behind internet reputation points (gladly not a paywall). I am glad that this is one of the better forums out there.

What tool (software) did you use to extract and flash the EEPROM?
I ordered the programmer hardware, just not sure how to extract and flash the software.

Lap Timer
Address 00000060 and bit 5 should be on

Needle Sweep
Address 00000061 and bit 2 should be on

So perhaps it's address 00000062 that is for the boost/oil, or it could be a different bit on address 00000060.

I believe we have the same cluster, I have the 8P0 920 931 T

I don't understand this secrecy regarding automotive on forums tbh.

Edit:
Here is another thread with some more information.

You can use a VCDS cable in dumb mode and Vag EEPROM Programmer 1.19 to read and write the cluster eeprom. VCDS software wont let you and I need to check VCP but I dont think that will either.

Im going to read mine again and have a good look around. I agree, that link isnt much use and its the most useful one I have found so far. It must be around 62 because thats where most of the settings are.

Maybe if I could get an RS3 eeprom dump i could do some comparisons. I dont see any need for the secrecy cus people are happy to hand out needle sweep and lap timer bits.

No offense, but that thread isn't clear either. Oswald says it's address 60, 61, and 62, but he doesn't mention which bits you have to flip.
Looking at this post, it seems like 2010+ clusters can do boost/oil pressure, but it's again unclear. My cluster is from 2008. To be honest, don't expect that year numbers are accurate, part numbers should be (although, an example where year numbers should be accurate are the interface box for the Bluetooth addon).

Regarding 'secrecy', I see tons of forums that have this toxic behavior of "like and rep for password". I don't see the point why people aren't willing to help others and hide the knowledge behind internet reputation points (gladly not a paywall). I am glad that this is one of the better forums out there.

I believe it is possible to do it on a 2009 cluster. Someone posted up a photo of one online and they managed to get it to work on that one.

You can use a VCDS cable in dumb mode and Vag EEPROM Programmer 1.19 to read and write the cluster eeprom. VCDS software wont let you and I need to check VCP but I dont think that will either.

Im going to read mine again and have a good look around. I agree, that link isnt much use and its the most useful one I have found so far. It must be around 62 because thats where most of the settings are.

Maybe if I could get an RS3 eeprom dump i could do some comparisons. I dont see any need for the secrecy cus people are happy to hand out needle sweep and lap timer bits.
So far I only found S3 EEPROM dumps. Odd thing is that the "staging on" version isn't different in addresses 60, 61 and 62. I believe they mean needle sweep with staging.

Attachments

• 24LC32 S3.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 165
So far I only found S3 EEPROM dumps. Odd thing is that the "staging on" version isn't different in addresses 60, 61 and 62. I believe they mean needle sweep with staging.

What do you mean by staging?

I will have a look at those dumps later and see if i can source an RS3 file. If I figure it out I will let you know how

A couple of days ago I ordered the EEPROM programmer to use the method shown here, but I'll try tonight with my HEX-V2 cable and VAG EEPROM programmer v1.19.

A couple of days ago I ordered the EEPROM programmer to use the method shown here, but I'll try tonight with my HEX-V2 cable and VAG EEPROM programmer v1.19.
Yes I have one of those but id rather go through obd, a lot less risk. Especially when connecting directly onto a chip.

My hex-net vcds cable can not boot in dumb mode, nor will a hex v2. Ross tech dont allow those two cables to be used with anything else than VCDS.

Mine is a clone, not an original. It's also not the STM version of the HEX-V2 (wasn't manufactured at the time. I have the ATMega162 version). The STM version supports the new extended UDS protocols (but that's not an issue for our generation).

How do you boot it into dumb mode?

Last edited:
Mine is a clone, not an original. It's also not the STM version of the HEX-V2 (wasn't manufactured at the time. I have the ATMega162 version). The STM version supports the new extended UDS protocols (but that's not an issue for our generation).

How do you boot it into dump mode?
Go into settings in vcds and uncheck boot in intelligent mode or check forced dumb mode. Close vcds, reopen it, check settings and close again

Reactions: FPSUsername
I tried but it doesn't look like my HEX-V2 clone works outside of VCDS.
Even in intelligent mode, VAG EEPROM programmer can't read fault codes. Looks like I'll have to wait for 3-4 weeks for the EEPROM programmer hardware to arrive.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-23 190608.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-23 190608.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 283
What programmer have you ordered?

I ordered a clip on CH341A clip on eeprom to usb thingy from ebay, arrived in 3 days from a UK seller.

Item I.D 273673803002

I ordered the same clip-type programmer but from AliExpress (color: 1 set).

Paying nearly 20 euros is insane (and add the import fees because the UK left the EU. I already paid 10 euros for the interface box to get Bluetooth support).
Guess I'll wait. In the meantime, scout the web for more information. It is a shame that all those YouTube videos showing the features don't show how it's done (in the description) and the comment section is as useful as asking the dealer, or you see an answer as "You have to read the EEPROM".

Last edited:
I ordered the same clip-type programmer but from AliExpress (color: 1 set).

Paying nearly 20 euros is insane (and add the import fees because the UK left the EU. I already paid 10 euros for the interface box to get Bluetooth support).
Guess I'll wait. In the meantime, scout the web for more information. It is a shame that all those YouTube videos showing the features don't show how it's done (in the description) and the comment section is as useful as asking the dealer, or you see an answer as "You have to read the EEPROM".
Be very careful using the clip because if you do not put pin1 on clip onto pin1 on the board, youll fry the chip.

Is this possible with vcp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no vcp will not read the cluster eeprom, even though it is perfectly capable

hi @Callem

I got your PM. I've done this one my TT 8J cluster - it required a reflash of the software in order to get the boost/oil temp on my white cluster (i upgraded from the red)

I used XPROG with some remote help from one who is much more seasoned than i in clusters/flashing eeproms

Hey @IPG

Would you be so kind to share the steps you took and share your EEPROM data and micronas dump?

Which cluster model number do you have and does it have the silver accents on the needles or are the central caps black?

I'd love to be able to do this on my 2012 S3, if you guys work out how to do it please share, I check my oil temps by going into the menu check option but this would be miles better.

I'd love to be able to do this on my 2012 S3, if you guys work out how to do it please share, I check my oil temps by going into the menu check option but this would be miles better.
I have come up with a working method but it only displays a temperature when its over 60°c. Im seeing if i can work a fix up for it.

Attachments

• 20210425_123433.jpg
    20210425_123433.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 202
  • 20210425_123912.jpg
    20210425_123912.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 274
Reactions: phateuk
I have come up with a working method but it only displays a temperature when its over 60°c. Im seeing if i can work a fix up for it.
I think that's because the sensor can't read below 60 deg. It's the same on the 8v models.

I think that's because the sensor can't read below 60 deg. It's the same on the 8v models.

When its on the normal menu, under check, then oil. It reads all temperatures. However when its permanently on the dash, it doesnt read all and only over 60

Hey @IPG

Would you be so kind to share the steps you took and share your EEPROM data and micronas dump?

Which cluster model number do you have and does it have the silver accents on the needles or are the central caps black?
Hi FPS sorry for the ultra late reply.
It was quite long winded and i'd need to go back in a whole bunch of messages to find the steps.

A complete teardown is not required as the only MCU chip that needs interrogating is on the "back half" of the cluster board (as the front half only contains the needles and lights).
Using X PROG this is the pinout. A couple of legs require lifting from the board. Using the supplied BDM adaptor highlighted in the green box, you connect the coloured wires as shown. You are reading the big MICRONAS chip on the board.

Once all the connections are hooked up you can take the data. This data is then modified within X PROG (this is where i had help with the modification - i literally don't know what he did with the files) and then was instructed to write the modified files back onto the MICRONAS chip. Yes, i was sweating bullets this whole time.

Once that was done i removed all the connections and reconstructed the cluster. Finally on start up all of the coding needed to match the hardware in the car (like mag ride off, AWD tank or not, AFS lights or not etc.), Scanned for errors, cleared them. Power cycle the car and there in the white cluster was the upgraded timer/oil temp screen and needle sweep.

I"m sorry i can't be more specific and i don't know exactly what mods are contained in the files. The files were also not stored locally as he was teamviwered in and ensured they were deleted before logging out.

It's laborious but you can end up with some cool features. Nothing beats colourMFA though TBH.

Reactions: FPSUsername
Thanks for the instructions, it's unfortunate that you don't have the files to share.

ColorMFA is indeed a next-level upgrade.

yeah sorry about that :p

I"m sure the people with the top knowledge have thei reasons to keep these things close to their chest