Boost Issues - Need some help

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
Right Folks....

I've had a issue recently (past 2-3 weeks) on my S3 APY with stage 1 remap and mods that has slowly developed. First of all it was a few flat spots on high gears when on full throttle, which gradually got worse.
It started hesitating and jerky moments with slight loss of power.
I always run on Super Unleaded or V-Power.
Car was scanned with VCDS on Wednesday last week and all that came up was SAI incorrect flow (bypassed) and CTS ( recently swapped for new genuine from Audi). Faults clearex
This weekend I decided to do some investigating.
First of all was plugs (NGK BKR7E) which are 4 months old and gapped to 0.7mm. Checked and all ok. Then checked coils (bolt downs) for signs of damage and all ok. Checked Coilpack loom and found some damage (splits) to outer protected casing. This was repaired with electrical tape. Then test drove and was still the same hesitation and flat spots.
Cleaned up earth's and positive terminals and cables on battery.
Then swapped fuel filter and still the same.
FPR was checked and was all clean and good.
Then AVLO (Matt) on here came around with his fully working spare fuel pump, fitted and test drove which resulted in same issue. So nothing to do with fuelling.
He then scanned with VCDS and nothing showing.
So Matt suggested it's could be something to do with Boosting as the issue developed after 3000revs onwards, and seems as its hesitating on boost.
So I disconnected the N75 and test drove. Issue has gone but obviously I'm down on boost and power.
Nevertheless today I recieved my new N75 direct from Wakefield Audi.
Fitted it and the problem still persists.
I also ordered a new throttlebody gasket so going to clean out the throttle just to rule this out aswell.
Myself and ShaunS3 will be doing logging at the weekend and posting the results up.

But has anyone got any suggestions?

I've got a Forge 008 DV which was tested and no leaks/loss of pressure.
Turbo was replaced 25,000 and car has done 139,000miles.
Full Service history and last one done 4,000miles ago. Injectors was cleaned last May in a ultrasonic bath and all seals replaced.
I've done N249 delete and PCV with a Saikuo Michi S3-OCC install.
Most hoses replaced for silicone hosing. I've got a Badger5 V2.2 TIP.
It's been a healthy 3years of ownership until now.

Thank You

will a failing coilpack always throw a code before dying is question i would be asking? are they old packs?

you say you cleaned the earths under the battery tray? hope its not one of them nasty wiring shorts/breaks, that could be anywhere mate...

Reactions: mark_S3
will a failing coilpack always throw a code before dying is question i would be asking? are they old packs?

you say you cleaned the earths under the battery tray? hope its not one of them nasty wiring shorts/breaks, that could be anywhere mate...

Not sure on the age of the Coilpacks as they haven't been replaced in my ownership but there the Hitachi Bolt downs. I'm now planning on replacing the wiring loom to coils and probably purchase TFSI Coils but after investigating and doing some test drives with Matt who is abit more clued up than me, he thinks it could be a boost related issue rather an ignition or fuel due to the problem starting after 3000revs on either partial or full throttle.

Like you said, if a Coil was failing it would throw up a fault code.

Problem being when the car is building boost is when any component on its way out is put under the most stress surely?
Ive known tuned cars actualy kill the spark as they climb boost.
Thats on a healthy big power car but... tired coils and the like wouldnt need massive boost to make them show issues i wouldnt have thought?

missing?
fuel or ign

weak fuel pump?

leaks? smoke tested it?

APY narow band ecu I presume? (very reliant on maf working properly)

missing?
fuel or ign

weak fuel pump?

leaks? smoke tested it?

APY narow band ecu I presume? (very reliant on maf working properly)

Bill,

Don't think it's missing... Doing a logging session on Saturday so that may tell me score...
Booked in aswell for a Smoke Test.

After Saturday I will hopefully have better evidence.
Seems a issue that most have experienced but turns out at various cures.
Done the basics I think and replaced some parts.

if missing, weak coils, and or weak mixture (tired pump)
hitachi coils fail also... they are not infallable