Boost leak

Alex_007

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on the best and easiest way to get to the pipe that goes to the turbo so that I can check for cracks etc

Tdi 140

Cheers

Last edited:
I always want a boost leak test done.. Not sure if anywhere actually does these? Or it's just a trial and error of testing all the pipes till you find the bad egg if there is one!?

I always want a boost leak test done.. Not sure if anywhere actually does these? Or it's just a trial and error of testing all the pipes till you find the bad egg if there is one!?

I think there is something called a smoke test that they do , not sure who does this though.

Which area are you in?

I'm going to look around in the London/Essex area .

I'm all the way down in Cornwall... See I had mine remapped at Christmas... He guy said my boost was dropping off early... Made 182, So to go away.. EGR delete and get a new MAF sensor in... I did and took it back and it made 189 BHP... But after a few months now I don't feel it as much! I could just be used to it! But would like a leak test done somewhere too!

I'm all the way down in Cornwall... See I had mine remapped at Christmas... He guy said my boost was dropping off early... Made 182, So to go away.. EGR delete and get a new MAF sensor in... I did and took it back and it made 189 BHP... But after a few months now I don't feel it as much! I could just be used to it! But would like a leak test done somewhere too!

Yea maybe you've got use to it, but when I had a golf tdi at stage 2 it always felt the same .

something is up with mine , when idling i get this hoover type noise , it actually sounds exactly like a hoover, I was gonna clean the egr valve today but read that your better changing the gaskets at the same time , I'll give bit a go in the week, it doesn't look to hard to do.

My EGR is blanked as the guy have me a plate who did the remap and deleted it in the software... Ican definitely hear an air leak when I rev it at a stand still. Don't know where to Strt though! You had any luck?

You can do a boost leak test yourself for a few quid. You need to go to B&Q, go to the plumbing aisle and get a couple of caps about the same size as your intercooler/intake pipe (measure first), a couple of jubilee clips, some plumbers tape and one of those threaded brass fittings similar to what you get on a manual boost controller, or you could use a Schrader valve instead. You drill a hole in one cap, screw in the brass fitting (using tape on the threads) then jack the car up. Take off the big pipe from the turbo, block the pipe with the cap and secure it with the jubilee clip. Then take the pipe off from the intake and do the same. Now use a pump to pressurise the system up to whatever boost you normally run, then listen for leaks. If you get some soapy water and spray it on the pipes and fittings, the boost leaks will bubble.

Today I opened my bonnet and reeved it at about 1.5 ad I could clearly hear a pshhhhh... Air coming out of somewhere! Couldn't identify where but it's definitely air! I text my mechanic and he's having it in on Monday to have a look.... He asked if I get a lot of smoke and I don't think I do... And also do I have an engine management light on but I don't that either but he's still gunna have a look! My boost is definitely not right! Went in my friends fabia vrs today which is apparently 160 BHP and mine is 190 apparently and his threw me around!

Don't be so quick to send it to a garage, this is likely something you could fix yourself a long time before Monday and likely cost you a lot less if you do it yourself. Its really not that complicated, you already have a good idea that its a boost leak, so you are halfway there!. You can hear air leaking, so find where its coming from and stop it, its really is not difficult. The worst leaks to find are the ones you can't hear, so yours should be easy to sort. If you don't want to do a proper boost leak test, run the car at idle, spray soapy water on the pipes by the hissing noise, then blip the throttle, the leaks will bubble.

I have a 2.0 tdi quattro.... It's plastic and stuff everywhere! You can't see any of the boost pipes and I'm not he best anyway! Just seems easier as it's going into a garage in the morning! Hopefully something simple and a cheap fix!

Reactions: Alex_007
Well I wasn't being paranoid! My mechanic has found the boost leak! Going onto my inter cooler the clio that holds the hose on had complete bust off! Sorted!! Hope it helps some of you! Pick the car up tomorrow and I'll report how it feels now with full boost! Cheers.

Well I wasn't being paranoid! My mechanic has found the boost leak! Going onto my inter cooler the clio that holds the hose on had complete bust off! Sorted!! Hope it helps some of you! Pick the car up tomorrow and I'll report how it feels now with full boost! Cheers.

Result , my pipes to the intercooler look on but you never know, I've not had them look at by a professional yet as it's not bothering me that much , seems to be boosting fine from the readings, I'll prob wait till something goes pop then sort it .

Going to attempt to clean the egr on the weekend .

See mine was boosting and not even that slow really! But you could hear the air p***ing out so was probably not as efficient as it could be! Also my MPG went through the roof!

let me know how he get clean goes! Should be easy!

I've thought about doing the turbo clean with good old mr muscle! There's a how to guide somewhere on here!

Cheers!