Boost pipe issues S3 8L BAM

whizz371

Reaction score
I put a post on a couple of weeks ago with regard to the car not picking up well when the throttle is floored but when depressed progressively reaches the limiter with no issues. I have now checked and there are no codes showing. I have noticed that the original rubber pipe that connects to the metal boost pipe seems very soft and it has been mentioned that this might be collapsing when trying to accelerate as quickly as possible. Any one had this issue? or any other thoughts please?

Attachments

• PXL_20220501_090803487.jpg
    PXL_20220501_090803487.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 83
I doubt that pipe would collapse bud, if you think about it, hard acceleration will cause the turbo to spool up forcing air through that pipework. Sound to me like a boost leak somewhere, you wouldn’t notice as much gradually going up the revs because your not at full boost. The majority of our S3’s have had various rubber hoses changed over the years, it’s surprising to see old standard hoses on any of them these days, unless of course they’ve been replaced with OEM parts. Not many of those parts anymore either with VAG no longer manufacturing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK thanks. Had not thought that through properly. Vertical learning curve here. I was assuming that a boost leak would through up a code? So best place to staret looking is around the TIP presumably ?

I’d look at all the pipework from the turbo to the intercooler on the drivers side, then under the car to the other intercooler and then up to the throttle body. Assuming your still running side mount intercoolers. Also check over the PCV system. Depending on what TIP you’ve got, standard ones can get very weak and collapse under load, best bet those is to get yourself a Badger5 TIP silicone replacement if you haven’t got one already. If there was a leak at the TIP though this would throw up a fault as the engine is getting unregistered air because it’s bypassing the MAF sensor.

Reactions: NHN
The TIP can collapse but not that boost pipe. If you have VCDS you can use it to do some logs. Logging specified and actual boost you can see if the TIP is collapsing. I suspect the issue is more related to the N75 / wastegate not working as it should. Check all the vacuum hoses on this part of the car.

Reactions: NHN
Many thanks for posts and help, will certainly get me going.

I have stripped out the oil breather pipes and bits out of the TIP. Looks like a boost leak from somewhere in the turbo area as the bottom half of the TIP has a very fine coating of oil no drips. Just trying to get in there to see where its coming from. Will have the tip off this afternoon and see if I can get to the connector from the Turbo to the solid boost pipe.

You’d expect to see some fine oil residue in the lower half of the TIP, this is due to the recirculating of the crank and rocker breathers going in via your catch can. This is only something that can be stopped by venting to atmosphere, however that only moves the oil vapour from one place to another.