boost pipe seals leaking?

Trucker_Anders

Reaction score
Hi All, Im new to all this and needed some advise,

I took my car into West London Audi for a visual health check last month and they told me the Boost Pipe Seals were Leaking and need replacing, they have quoted me £95 for the job (parts and labour), when i asked the parts department she said there are 3 boost pipe seals which retail at £4.67 each

I was just wondering, is it an easy job to do yourself? ive got some axil stands and a toolbox but im fed up with being ripped off by mechanics and thought id give it a try myself?? is it wise or should i get a qualified mechanic to do it?

Ive got a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport 140bhp.

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks guys....​

Not sure what seals they are refering to, maybe clips as in Jubilee clips, but sounds like they are charging you 1 hours labour plus parts. Im sure someone with more knowledge will come along shortly. But, boost pipe seals leaking, means a boost leak usually because of a split pipe!!

DC

Hi mate,

I've just done this job myself after having the same diagnosis from Audi. I

ts a simple job to change the o rings on the lower boost pipes. All you need to do is jack the front up anough to get under (and axle stand). You'll need to unscrew and drop the engine cover down to get to the pipes (cant remember the hex screw size but will check). you will see the inlet/oulet pipes going into each corner of the intercooler, on the far left and right front (you cant miss them). Carefully prise off the clips that lock the hoses in place and pull the pipe out. You will easily see the o rings on the end of the pipes. take the old ones out and give the ends of the hoses a good wipe down and replace. Push the hoses back in (make sure you locate them into the slots for a snug fit) and replace the clicks correctly so they snap in place in their locators. While you are down there, swap over the 2 on the others of each pipe just to be sure.

They cost around £4 each from Audi and it takes no more than 1 hour max. Shame it it didnt sort out my "limp home mode" problem though...:(

Thanks mate, very helpfull description mate will give it a go, just need to get the o rings from audi, I got a shock when they quoted me £94 and i knew it was something simple not major, will let you know how i get on

They are probably quoting £80 an hour labour charge which is the same as most dealerships, complete rip off. Yeah easy job to do aslong as you have a bit of hands on knowledge

The Audi told me that mine need looking at and when I asked about them on here I was told by a few people that its not an urgent job and that most boost seals leak so I left it for the time being.

Just letting you know incase you thought it was something that needed doing asap.

When I took mine in they told me I needed them replacing. I reckon its because they ran a diagnistic and the error code was coming back as Overboost (which I confirmed myself by buying a VAG Com). Doesnt mean these though but they are the cheapest part to change as a test. Now I am narrowing down to MAF, Boost solenoid or leaky vacuum pipe :eek:(...

I would moan about all my problems but what else woudl I do on a weekend if I wasnt getting my hand oily lol...