Boot Handle - soft touch opening not working

IPG

Reaction score
I believe the two handles inside of the number plate lights are supposed to be soft touch buttons to open the boot without having to use the fob or key.

I've not been able to get this to work.

Tried to problem solve while I was installing a rear parking camera but haven't been able to fix the problem. The switches are good as a multimeter on the two pins give a reading when the button is pressed. So there must be something else down the wiring, lock releasing hardware (which looks to be a separate mechanism to the main actuator) or a fuse/relay somewhere. Anyone know where else further down the electronics I can look to fix this?

maybe check the wiring in the grommet between the boot lid and the roof? Don't know about Audi but Ford and Volvo are quite notorious for broken wires in there.

I ran wires through the passengers side. They looked good. Will check driver's side ...

I do have a plug that's not hooked up to anything near the stock subwoofer but that looks antenna related - will get a pic when there's more light

Audi do a repair loom for the boot release buttons. I had one installed last year. It's a common fault for water to get into the number plate light hole apparently. Worth checking by popping off the internal boot cover

Audi do a repair loom for the boot release buttons. I had one installed last year. It's a common fault for water to get into the number plate light hole apparently. Worth checking by popping off the internal boot cover

Repair loom eh? This is just the wiring look getting replaced?
How much did this set you back? It was dry as a bone in there, no rusting or mineralisation.

Looking at the wiring diagram there should be a black 6 pin connector on the left in the boot. Pin 4 is the feed too the switch. If you stick your meter between that and ground and test the switch that would prove the wiring between the switch and boot.

Here you go. It says A3 but the wiring in the S3 is the same.
284EB9D5 5742 4728 8CD2 5287EF8593B4

oh whoa. i don't even know how to read that... but left side, in the boot, look for a black 6 pin/ 6 wire connector :)

thanks!

The switch is labelled as F111 in the diagram. you will be looking for the White/black wire in that 6 pin connector. Cant guarantee there will be 6 wires in the connector but by the looks of the diagram there will definitely be 5 wires. Use the earth in the tailgate for the first measurement. be worth testing the earth wire between the tailgate and the body to make sure that is good too.

Reactions: IPG
Repair loom eh? This is just the wiring look getting replaced?
How much did this set you back? It was dry as a bone in there, no rusting or mineralisation.

It wasn't soaking wet by any stretch of the imagination. It was just apparent that there had been moisture tracking into the back of the switches over the 12 years since the car was made. There was a lot of mineralisation and the switches basically fell apart.

I had it done when the bootlid was replaced after somebody drive into it, so I'm not sure of the cost. It wasn't super expensive though!