Bored of 1.6

Dannyhall

Reaction score
Fancy something bigger, looking along the lines of a 2.0 diesel A4 08+ or a 3 series 320i or 320D 06+, my insurancr renewal is in april and by auto trader most A3s within 200 mile around the same spec are going between 5,000-6,000.. Mine is 05 plate with the single grille abd S3 alloys which the alloys may be more desirable than others on a private sale, if a trade in they will be swapped for standard alloys

What do you rekon, pros, cons on upgrading if you will

I'd go with the 2.0TFSI personally, diesel is good but not fun at all. Try quattro if you can its brilliant! Otherwise get 1.8T and map it later when you get bored again:]

Before changing decide exactly what you are aiming for from the car. An A4 2.0TDi will be perky but may feel a bit large after the A3 and loose some of the sense of chuckability of the smaller car.

My bro in law decided he was bored of his Merc C200K Sport Edition and traded it for an Audi A3 170TDi Sportback and I get the feeling he's done nothing but regretted it since. Make the change for the right reasons rather than changing for changes sake.

I've had an E92 coupe 320 petrol, I didn't go anywhere quickly put it that way, it felt slow and the engine was noisy, I'm glad I've gone back to a smaller car

If it's a case of keeping a smaller car, i really don't think any hatchback has the wow factor like an A3, i'm still young so it's not a case of family space etc, just fancied a change in general, and would rather do it earlier than later because of the depreciation when the new A3 comes out.. Might have a rethink about the situation, i'm very anti finance so my budget is around 10-11k also

if the mk5 golf is anything to go by, the mk6 golf didn't dent the mk5 values significantly, I agree there isn't a hatchback out there as good looking as the A3

hello mate,

I've just got bought a 2.0TQS and I'm in love, i used to have a 8l 1.6, then got a a diesel mondeo ask crashed the A3 and knee jerk reaction, which was great for chucking me push iron in the boot,had cruise and cd changer but it was still a ford and worse still a mondeo.

Got back in an audi and i had forgotten how all the little niceties of them over other brands of cars make them so nice. The insurance for me was a killer although this A3 was cheaper then a golf GTI or CTR. My mate has just bought a CTR for similar money and i can honestly say, i do prefer the A3. For build quality and torque!

I was also looking at 123d, but the RWD killed that idea for me. Shortish wheel base and quattro has made me fall back in love with my car. The only other car i did like and has lots of little extras, and fairly good reviews was a Focus ST-3, but i couldn't get insured on one for a reasonable price and to be honest i think i still prefer this A3

ben

Thanks for the replies, i'm only 19 coming up 20 and to get insured on anything over a 2.0 with a reasonable quote is out of the question but i really like the exterior on a bmw 320 M sport, it's just the interior that gets me, unless you pay over 15k you're not even getting an onboard computer or any particular gadgets. Decisions decisions

Danny, im 22, a couple of things that i didn't think mattered anymore on insurance quotes as i thought they had become wise to these things but reduced my current policy to an affordable amount by reducing it nearly 700quid.
I didn't believe it at first so rang to double check the policy was correct.

I had my job title as gas engineer i.e. gas fitter/plumber - i am not I'm actually a Control room tech. in the gas industry (just put gas engineer as it was first similar thing to appear), this reduced it by around 350ish when i changed it to my actual job

second one was i put my brother who is 33 on the policy and again it reduced it by 350ish

Sorry if its teaching you how to suck eggs and you have tried this stuff, it just really shocked me as i thought that these things didn't matter any more on insurance policies. i only have 1 years NCB.

cheers ben

I'm actual not sure on my job title but it's making me want to dabble with it, i'm a NDT technician so i put welding inspector, but maybe i could become a gas engineer, also i have my dad on which dropped it 350ish also, looking into putting my uncle on aswell to try it, i got quoted 1800 on a bmw which to alot of people would be ridiculous but i think it's managable, when the cars paid off. I don't know where i'm at with jobs yet, i'm thinking about leaving a permenant position for contract work purely due to the wage increase so i might see what my money situation is later on in the year, don't want to leave myself with no money struggling for insurance etc

bolt a supercharger on your 1.6 and be done with it lol , on a serious note as warren said change it for the right reasons , but you will notice the difference in the fuel bill if you go to a 2.0 tfsi

I'm not saying change to suit cheapest as I have no idea whether or even if there can be any repercussions if you were to claim, just an idea to check your details are correct matey. I think any trades maybe higher due to using car for guvvies or transporting tools, im not sure though to be honest.
The TQS was cheaper by far compared to then other rivals , I think because there is probably less of them that get crashed as they are maybe less of a boy racers car. Such as a GTi or CTR. So possibly cheaper to insure, but to be honest I'm only guessing all this. But proof in the pudding as I have one and it's insured lol

Personally dan, if i was in your situation. Id go for a newer A3. Maybe a 2.0 but as said depending on fuel bill, insurance etc possibly a 1.8. But if your seriously going to be looking at contract work abroad i wouldnt be spening 10k on a car just now because you'll want a new one when you get back of your first trip. Also, where on earth have you got 10k from? Been working 60 hours a week again?