Bose Pack

PigPen

Reaction score
My car was already made and it came with no options. Having managed to get the Black Styling Pack fitted the only other option I would have wanted was the Bose Pack. I have read loads and things about this saying it is rubbish in the A3 setup and other people saying it is virtually impossible to retrofit and the best option is to upgrade the front speakers to something like Focal as the standard ones are rubbish. Has anyone had any experience in any of the above? Any advice or comments appreciated. Thanks

I like it, its not obviously the very best system which aftermarket would bring, but its more than adequate for what it costs tbh, its good enough.

It can be retrofitted, I can offer this if you're interested.

PM for pricing etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: PigPen
I like it also ,had it in my first s3 ,and not in my 2nd s3 and missed it badly ,now have it back and love it :)

Or you could get the Bose special glowing upgrade ;)

01e39e59.jpg

Oh yes thats a fun mod :)

Ring you later mate.

I like it, its not obviously the very best system which aftermarket would bring, but its more than adequate for what it costs tbh, its good enough.

It can be retrofitted, I can offer this if you're interested.

PM for pricing etc.

Have messaged you!

Broad dynamic range I don't think it adds much over stock however it does add a good level of controlled distortion free base over standard.

I had the B&O system in a loan A5 for 4 days, did 500 miles in it - overall sound quality is better and when tuned to the 'driver focused' setting is a match for the Individual Audio offering in a BMW M5 (e61); it was though a massive let down when the base was turned up, it would rattle the doors with ease.

In my experience Bose doesn't do that - I gave up on chasing sound quality in a tin box being pummelled by road noise a long time ago, the Bose though does a decent enough job in my opinion; as said, the obvious benefit is turning it up a tad and leaning on the base - base flat and low volume there is little benefit.

If you can get it retro fitted at a reasonable price I would say go for it.

When I bought mine I thought about this, for one minute, and then went for the spec I wanted and didn't fret about the stereo!

I had Bose in my 911 and my RS4, all were disappointing and I much preferred listening to the engine than the radio!

If speccing from new I suppose £400 isn't bad but I would rather 4 tanks of petrol at full chat with the S Button on than grimmy the mincer on Radio 1 ;)

Reactions: PigPen and RYes3
I've got the FULL BOSE package in my RS3, and Tinnitus in the left-ear, so I can ONLY really hear that wonderful 5-pot anyway - and it's probably why I can't hear the driver-door seal noise.

I rarely bother with the audio...

Swap anyone my BOSE with Tinnitus for their 24/7 ZERO 'hiss' anytime...

I've got the FULL BOSE package in my RS3, and Tinnitus in the left-ear, so I can ONLY really hear that wonderful 5-pot anyway - and it's probably why I can't hear the driver-door seal noise.

I rarely bother with the audio...

Swap anyone my BOSE with Tinnitus for their 24/7 ZERO 'hiss' anytime...

Sorry what did you say?

Radio ! With ami and ipod get some banging trance ;)

My thoughts in my 8p world....

1st 8P S3 - no Bose, I was very impressed with the Audi symphony sound though. Far better than any GTI/OPC/ST and BMW.
2nd 8P S3 - had Bose and was adequately better. Depends on what music you enjoy. Doesn't like hard rock imo.
Current 8P RS3 - Has bose. Sounds exactly the same as the S3. Is it worth a retrofit? I would listen to an A3 or S3 before doing it.....
It's good. But the 5pot and exhaust note sounds far better!

Spend your money on some decent hifi gear for home.

Have some already! I have been quoted 300 quid today to upgrade the front speakers to 'focals' (fitters recommendation) does anyone know if they are good?

To be honest to do a proper after market install requires more than sticking a set of updated speakers in where the old ones were. You ideally need to upgrade the wiring plus most decent speakers will require amping they will sound no better than standard if they are fed underpowered.

That was the advice I received based on keeping the existing headunit as they said it was nothing special.

The only headunit that looks right, especially in an rs3, is the oem one. Everything else just looks kinda cheap, chavvie and out of place. Ok there's no full postcode search, and I'm sure a complete aftermarket setup would pack more punch than the Bose, but making every panel rattle in a car like this is a crime. The Bose is more than enough, and like most other owners, I find the stereo turned right down so I can hear that 5-pot trumpet playing anyway...
definitely do not replace just the speakers - that's just cutting corners halfrauds style. Either get the Bose, or go for a full setup with amps, crossovers, new wiring etc etc.. And that would be silly in a car with RennSport heritage?
just my 2p...

Hopefully I can get a 'reasonable' price for the Bose otherwise maybe I should stick to the standard set up. Thanks for all the advice above!

Hopefully I can get a 'reasonable' price for the Bose otherwise maybe I should stick to the standard set up. Thanks for all the advice above!

JUST WAIT till SATURDAY!!!

You haven't heard the 5-pot singing yet!

It aint like a boxer-bl**dy-Scoobie's engine, or a Lotus for that matter (1558 Twin Cam excepted) , believe me!

By the time you get it back to Devon you'll be convinced!

PigPen! MAKE SURE (on Saturday) to bring an SD card (format Fat32) FULL of your favorite MP3 music!!!!!!

Last edited:
I was advised not to constantly red line it during first 1000 miles... and maybe lay off launch control, but other than that, drive it normally and use the entire rev range....