Bose radio random switching on and off

Reaction score
hi all,

my system has been faultless up until today when i was driving it and the bose symphony II just switched itself off and then on again. happens randomly and with the volume high/low. i thought it maybe a lose wire from the recent andy mac sub i installed (ie ground or remote) but it still happens when the car is at a standstill. i have tried it on my ipod and cd's and it still happens.

has anyone come across this and is there a way to fix this?

any help would be appreciated!

i am running the bose symphony II with standard speakers and the amss. there have been no issues since the install over a month ago.

Alex, didn't you have some issues with the sub amp when you first installed it? I seem to remember the amp wouldn't turn on until you'd driven the car. Thought this was just a battery drain issue, but it could be something to do with the remote on connection or feed from the HU. I know you bought the AMSS system from another member on here so no idea how old the Alpine amp is now, but it could be trying to pull too much current from the HU's feeble remote on feed. This would cause the HU to power down. The remote on from the stock HU is pretty fragile and could be the Bose amp is also pulling a bit too much from the remote on and the Alpine is just pushing it over the edge. The remote on is a very very low amperage feed, just a few milliamps in order to trigger the relay in the Bose amp, so any deterioration in the Bose relay and/or Alpine relay would easily strain it.
I know it's a pain to get to but first thing I'd do is rule out the Alpine amp by disconnecting the remote on and see if the problem goes away. If it is the cause then you just need to wire in a small 5 amp relay and use the remote on just to trigger the relay, so the Alpine won't be directly connected to the HU. Of course it could be totally unrelated to the sub install, but it's a bit of a coincidence, although I've never seen this issue before on 60+ installs.

Last edited:
My HU did this aswell but seemed to resolve itself. I put it down to the extreme cold we had over winter when the car was sitting outside when I was at work. Maybe it wasnt though.

hey thanks for the advice, i kinda hoped that my system was going to be ok like yours minty, had a quick drive around today and no problems! going to keep my fingers crossed as i don't really want to rip out the interior panels again...