Bose system sounds low

antonio87

Reaction score
I have a April 2010 A3 with Bose sound system I have been happy with it since I bought it back in June.
My problem is by girlfriend bought a may2011 A3 with Bose sound system and it sounds so much better. Louder and a lot of base too. They both have rns-e, don't know if that helps.
Is there something wrong with mine?

The 2011 may be slightly differnent system or have different bose amp is yours coded all up properly

The 2011 may be slightly differnent system or have different bose amp is yours coded all up properly
I can get a coding from both. Mine was factory fitted and has ami hers is a retrofit (by me) and no ami.
I'll get the code and post it up I a moment

So, my coding: 0209725. H03 SW0150

Her coding: 0215757. H05 SW0200

Yes, I meant to post earlier today, I recall a BOSE pin that enabled the BOSE system and that some people were pulling because it sounded 'better' without.

Yeah I noticed my mates A3 sports back black edition was louder and more bass than the one in my S3?

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89
did you retrofit the RNSE in hers? if so did you move the bose pin?
I did the fitting yes. To be honest I just removed the old standard radio that came with the car and plugged in the rns-e. Didn't pay any attention to the pins

Yes, I meant to post earlier today, I recall a BOSE pin that enabled the BOSE system and that some people were pulling because it sounded 'better' without.
I have read something similar. What pin is this? Where can I find it? Back of the radio? Might give this a try

I think it's in the big connector that pulls out of the back of the head unit. It was a while back now. Possibly requiring a repair wire?

had rnse and bose in my a3 and exactly the same setup in the s3

the s3 blows the a3 system out of the water, both 8p2 though so shouldn't make a difference.. always made me wonder why though

Bose pin is in blue plug of quadlock on back of the stereo its a brown wire that needs to go from pin5 to pin 7

Reactions: D3mon
I guess there could have been some improvements in those couple of years. Possible that the RNSE was a retrofit to the S3, without the BOSE enabled?

To be fair, my BOSE system has been horrendously 'flat' since buying it from new. Only now at some 30,000 miles and some extended, high level listening, it seems to be loosening up, particularly with regard to the sub. The highs however, are still not at all sharp, seeming as if they are barely connected sometimes.

To be honest I was completely happy with mine but the moment I fitted that rns-e and switched it on, WOW! What a difference.

If I had some release pins, I'd be disconnecting mine right now to see how it sounds without BOSE intervention!

Bose pin is in blue plug of quadlock on back of the stereo its a brown wire that needs to go from pin5 to pin 7
Is there not a wire already in pin 7 or is it just a straight remove from 5 and put in 7?
Thanks

If I had some release pins, I'd be disconnecting mine right now to see how it sounds without BOSE intervention!
If I take the car to work tomorrow I will try to do this and update on how it goes

Snap a pic if you can. I think this would interest a good number of BOSE owners! :icon thumright:

I'm getting ideas about a dash switch... BOSE on / BOSE off...

There wasnt a pin in 7 on mine i went from symphony to rns-e though it can be a s**t to get pin out youll need a pick or paper clip to poke release tab on the wire

This is diagram i used for bose pin

Attachments

• Quadlock.jpeg
    Quadlock.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 221
I guess there could have been some improvements in those couple of years. Possible that the RNSE was a retrofit to the S3, without the BOSE enabled?

not sure, could be possible, its so powerful in the s3 i have to run the bass on -2 where as i had it on max in the a3 and it was still no where near as powerful.

subwoofer still sounds crap in both though, that thing needs throwing away!

Update.
Came in early to work to try and sort this out. Radio out, quad lock out and removed the blue plug. Checked the brown wire and it already was on pin 7. But me being me I couldn't accept this and tried to remove the pin anyway. Stubborn **** wouldn't come out so I just turned the black plug (once removed from the blue casing) 180 degrees and put it in the radio to try. WOW amazing! So much better. Why wouldn't Audi just do this at the factory?
Any who, I refit the quad lock and then had to feed the black plug through it as I didn't reuse the blue plug ( now in the glove box). Sorry didn't remember to take pics lol. Thank you very much guys especially DAVE@REMAPS for the help

Nice work. So, pulling (or not connecting) that wire pin #7 in the blue connector, disconnects the BOSE DSP, which shapes the output. I'm now wondering about the VCDS configuration needed (if any).

Last edited:
Same keys I used to take a symphony 2 head unit out, are they the right ones?

I've no idea. I'm checking eBay now to find the right set of keys to pull mine (concert) - So far, I'm reading that if the key holes are horizontal or vertical the key design is different, but that's it.

Update.
Came in early to work to try and sort this out. Radio out, quad lock out and removed the blue plug. Checked the brown wire and it already was on pin 7. But me being me I couldn't accept this and tried to remove the pin anyway. Stubborn **** wouldn't come out so I just turned the black plug (once removed from the blue casing) 180 degrees and put it in the radio to try. WOW amazing! So much better. Why wouldn't Audi just do this at the factory?
Any who, I refit the quad lock and then had to feed the black plug through it as I didn't reuse the blue plug ( now in the glove box). Sorry didn't remember to take pics lol. Thank you very much guys especially DAVE@REMAPS for the help
Least youve sorted it what about other wires on the blue plug though if youve just turnt it around? as has cdc wires and a earth i think. Do you have disc changer or ipod dock?

Least youve sorted it what about other wires on the blue plug though if youve just turnt it around? as has cdc wires and a earth i think. Do you have disc changer or ipod dock?
There where no other wires on the plug just the brown one. I have iPod connect in glove box and that works. Have to check on the way home