Bought myself a 2.0TFSI 2009 Allroad....

ItsAllGood

Reaction score
After 2 years of searching for the perfect car, Wednesday was the day. I bought the car, it has a full service history, has rolled 60k, fully loaded, nice colour, perfect. Test drove, and everything was expected......

.....But......6 hours after owning the car, I had to top up 1L of oil (MMI was telling me to do so). Checked the oil level, and was at max.
It was too good to be true. I have a feeling that this car has the oil consumption problem.

After topping it up, and starting the engine, the EML went on about 1 min after starting. Plugged my code reader and has the P0016 or Cam/crankshaft Pos. correlation sensor A - Bank 1 failure.

So days went by, and I have been observing the oil level from the MMI. It has now the middle of Medium and Low oil level.
I also noticed that the engine starts about 2 seconds longer (have to hold the start/stop button longer, instead of just pressing it).

I haven't driven the car since Saturday evening, and actually tried to start the car today (Monday at 2 o'clock noon). It wouldn't start at all. After holding the start/stop for about 5 seconds, the engine cranks 2-3 times and nothing happens. So I charged the battery about 4-5 hours. Tried again and exactly same fault. Battery fully charged, starter is fully working...

I have messaged the dealer about this. Hopefully they will eventually pay for the full costs of repair, or I just need to return the car... What do you guys think I should expect?

Last edited:
Reactions: xpoweruk
Not another one, audi need to recall these engines & do the lot, don't be messed about by the 50% goodwill bs mate, as so many have, either return or get it all done under there cost.

Not another one, audi need to recall these engines & do the lot, don't be messed about by the 50% goodwill bs mate, as so many have, either return or get it all done under there cost.

My thought... When did Audi actually fix the engine, 2012 facelift or which engine code?
At 18k the car had a TPI from Audi, but that was in 2011. And seems like they only did a quick test on oil consumption, but didn't actually fully fixed the problem... Hopefully the dealer (not officially Audi dealer) will fix this 100% of their expense or I need to return this......

its a known fault on petrol Audis from 2009-2011/12.
I had the same problem (Cam/crankshaft Position sensor) as you.
I have a 1.8TFSI A3 8P.
Drank oil like a whale.
had the car since 7.4k miles (hence almost new).
At 65k miles the engine wont start.
Audi initially said it was my fault because I put in an S3 bumper
and coilovers and as such I had to pay £9k for another engine.
After much haggling I ended up paying £2.8k for a new engine.
if you bought it from a main Audi dealer then you can quote sales good act 1979.

Last edited:
sorry I forgot to tell you that the main reason your car wont start is that your chain
has more than likely collapsed (most likely taking the valves with it).
the high oil consumption is due to design fault in the piston rings not sealing properly.
in old school engines without Catalytic converters its should smoke like hell but yours wont coz its got a Cat.
this results in a drop in oil pressure and the eventually the weakest bits of the engine such as the tensioners
can fail resulting in the cam chain collapsing. (hence the fault code "Cam/crankshaft Pos. correlation sensor")

sorry I forgot to tell you that the main reason your car wont start is that your chain
has more than likely collapsed (most likely taking the valves with it).
the high oil consumption is due to design fault in the piston rings not sealing properly.
in old school engines without Catalytic converters its should smoke like hell but yours wont coz its got a Cat.
this results in a drop in oil pressure and the eventually the weakest bits of the engine such as the tensioners
can fail resulting in the cam chain collapsing. (hence the fault code "Cam/crankshaft Pos. correlation sensor")

Yicks! They get really greedy when it comes to that is not relevant to the actual problem...
I have the symptoms that the chain is collapsed, the starter works and the engine is spinning, but the engine does not seem to have any compression.... Also, the exhaust tips are really black aswell..
Anyways, the dealer will use my insurance to get the car working again, perhaps a new engine (lol). They will pay the deductible for it too. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. I really am in love with this car and hope everything will be fixed. I got a confirmation that I shall not pay a single dime for this.
Getting a rental car tomorrow as this may take a while to repair!

I would be surprised if the w,arrant guys pay as any car which is faulty in the first 6 months should be covered by the Consumers right act. The fault would have been present when the car was sold so up to the dealer to fix it. Makes no difference to you though. Audi seem to be better now that this has been covered on TV so the dealer you bought if from may want to try them. They would need to do a consumption test probably.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the w,arrant guys pay as any car which is faulty in the first 6 months should be covered by the Consumers right act. The fault would have been present when the car was sold so up to the dealer to fix it. Makes no difference to you though. Audi seem to be better now that this has been covered on TV so the dealer you bought if from may want to try them. They would need to do a consumption test probably.

so am i right in thinking, I've bought a 2nd hand audi 2.0 tfsi, it has the oil problem or any other defect, I'm able to take it back and they HAVE to do something with it?

If you got it from a dealer. It would also depend on what the description of the car was and what you paid.

If you got it from a dealer. It would also depend on what the description of the car was and what you paid.

LOW MILEAGE EXAMPLE THAT'S A PLEASURE TO DRIVE**GOOD FUEL ECONOMY**HALF LEATHER**SERVICE RECORD WITH THIS CAR ALL BY MAIN DEALERS**CALL TO ARRANGE A TEST DRIVE**, Excellent bodywork, Black Part leather interior - Excellent Condition, Tyre condition Good, Deluxe 3 - Zone Climate Control w. Separate Air Distribution and Digital Display, 18in x 8J 5 - Spoke S Line Design Alloy Wheels with 245/40 R18 Tyres, Audi Concert Radio - CD Player with MP3 Compatibility, 6.5in Colour Centre Console Screen, and SD Memory Card Reader, Automatic Windscreen Wipers, Drivers Information System (DIS) in Colour, Electric Front and Rear Windows, Thatcham Category 1 Alarm, Upholstery - Cloth/Leather Combination. 5 seats

car is advertised for £9989/registered september 08 (58)

I've bought the car, get it in a few weeks after prep work done on it etc, i did mention it to the dealer at the time that i was worried about incase it had the problem, but still went ahead with the deal we had. if this problem is on the vehicle, would i stand with anything on the 6 months consumer ?

I would think you had a good case as its described as excellent with no problems listed. Would also think that in a car that age, the problem would have shown up. It also has a main dealer service history which may help further down the line.

ive had a good look on which website, i wasn't even aware i had these rights buying a car haha, i feel much more confident now about buying the vehicle

Yicks! They get really greedy when it comes to that is not relevant to the actual problem...
I have the symptoms that the chain is collapsed, the starter works and the engine is spinning, but the engine does not seem to have any compression.... Also, the exhaust tips are really black aswell..
Anyways, the dealer will use my insurance to get the car working again, perhaps a new engine (lol). They will pay the deductible for it too. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. I really am in love with this car and hope everything will be fixed. I got a confirmation that I shall not pay a single dime for this.
Getting a rental car tomorrow as this may take a while to repair!

I also had zero compression on all cylinders.
Yes my starter motor was spinning when attempting to start the car.
Tell Audi to do an endoscope test which would confirm a collapsed chain.
Black exhaust tips is also a symptom but the car wont smoke because you have a Catalytic converter.
insurance companies/ extended warranty firms are getting wise these days and can easily decline repairs of known manufacturers fault.
read your terms and conditions.

I would think you had a good case as its described as excellent with no problems listed. Would also think that in a car that age, the problem would have shown up. It also has a main dealer service history which may help further down the line.
no, there were no symptoms in my case.
on the day my chain collapsed, the management came on for a minute or so
and cleared after I switched off an started the car.
once the 15 minute journey had ended I went back to the car and it wont start.

at this stage its impossible for Audi to do a consumption test as the engine wont start.
the only applicable test would be and endoscope test or to strip the engine.

Got new piston and piston rings - after 8000 kilometers the oil level hasn't dropped
New chain aswell, all at no cost. Well I needed to get a lawyer tho.....