Bought vs. Brought

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
Why is it that a large number of people seem unable to tell the difference between the two?

idd,
if my education serves me correctly :

bought - something you "bought" in a shop
brought - i "brought" this with me today to show you all

correct ?

Olly_K said:
idd,

correct ?

Give yourself a gold star young man! :p

There's also:

Two, to and too, as and has, whose and who's and there, their and they're to name a few more.

It used to bother me more than it does now so I must be mellowing in my old age. The only time it really ****** me off is when someone like a newsreader or a journalist can't get it right. The overuse of apostophes has to be my pet hate at the moment :rtfm: .

Sorry for the hijack but I feel better for that!

Olly_K said:
idd,

correct ?

If my education is right:

bought - something you've purchased or arrived with.
brought - NO SUCH WORD!

The other one is "brang". Again, no such word according to my trip throught the education system...

What about Medsin, this is all over every news report at the moment.
Is Medicine just too hard to say these days.

SamDude said:
If my education is right:...

brought - NO SUCH WORD!

Sorry SamDude, don't want to slate your education but meaning of brought.

AndyMac said:
What about Medsin, this is all over every news report at the moment.
Is Medicine just too hard to say these days.

That's like "sickth" - the new version of sixth!

One of my favourites:

Brakes = Breaks.
No they don't...
One is the system that stops your car...the other is the time you take from work to drink some form of herbal infusion.

Or how about:
Nucular?
Nuclear?
...and the confusion those two generate.

joost said:
their and they're to name a few more.

Don't forget There as well....
Their.
There.
They're.

The overuse of apostophes has to be my pet hate at the moment :rtfm: .

...and the incorrect use of the apostrophe...as in Has'nt.
No, no, no...
The apostrophe replaces the letter/s missed out when shortening the word...as in Hasn't (as I'm sure you all know)
That winds me up...

Just found this. Looks like it could be a laugh - obviously I've checked out a couple on the F list just to make sure it's worth looking at!

Good shout Jason, that one always gets me going. I swear a mate of mine does it deliberately to wind me up :shutup2:

People who say "should of" instead of "should have" also get my goat.

I have been known to react with extreme violence to the splitting of an infinitive: ...."to boldly go..." etc

I actually dont understand the whole brought instead of bought

Surely you would need to have grown up in some sort of shady hillbilly infested town to not understand very basic english.

It particularly ****** me off when its in the title of a thread!

theres another one

of and off

your, you're

haha i should check my own english before slating other peoples

should have been 'there's'

Ess_Three said:
The apostrophe replaces the letter/s missed out when shortening the word...as in Hasn't (as I'm sure you all know)
That winds me up...
The other use of the apostrophe is, of course, to denote possession: i.e.
  • "Ess Three's Porsche" or
  • "Bowfer's wonderful DSG gearbox"
Apostrophes in place names often fall into disuse over time, so"Earl's Court" becomes "Earls Court".

A frequent cause of confusion occurs when the two different usages (abbreviation and possession) collide over the two different words that can be spelled with the letters "i", "t" and "s". Hence:
  • "It's" is an abbreviation of "It is", and uses an apostrophe.
  • "Its" is the possessive form of the indefinite article "it" (i.e. "Scotland is a beautiful country, except for its climate"), but despite this, does not use an apostrophe.
The worst misuse of the apostrophe, however, has to be with plurals. The plural of "potato" is "potatoes", not "potatoe's".

None of this is fancy stuff, but basic English, as Rodenal said. I learned it for O-level English Language - the equivalent of today's GCSE, for those under the age of 35.

jcs356 said:
Why is it that a large number of people seem unable to tell the difference between the two?
Bizzare, I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. Not sure if I saw it on here or another forum but so many people seem to say "brought" instead to "bought".

joost said:
That's like "sickth" - the new version of sixth!
On the topic of mispronunciation, I popped into a phone shop a while ago to look at new handsets. When I told the 19-year old airhead that I wanted a handset with a radio, she told me that handsets with radios were being replaced with ones with built-in "MPfree" players. As I am balding & grey-bearded, she obviously thought I was King Lear's grandfather, and so proceeded to ask me: "Do you know what MPfree is?"

"Sorry", I said, taking my iPod out of my jacket. "I've never heard of MPfree. Are you sure you didn't mean MP Three?"

That'll teach the little ****-for-brains to try patronising me.

That reminds me when I was a lad (of 16) starting my first job in what was then Texas Homecare. A customer asked me if we sold "piano hinges" - these are the long metal ones you get on large outside wooden gates. After a brief search, we couldn't find any, so I helpfully advised the man to try any good music shops ...

My Dad was laughing so hard when I told him I was considering taking him to casualty!!! :think:

Someone has just posted a thread in the Welcome Section, with the heading:

"New to Audi's"

Grrrrrr!!!!!!

benw123 said:
That reminds me when I was a lad (of 16) starting my first job in what was then Texas Homecare. A customer asked me if we sold "piano hinges" - these are the long metal ones you get on large outside wooden gates. After a brief search, we couldn't find any, so I helpfully advised the man to try any good music shops ...

My Dad was laughing so hard when I told him I was considering taking him to casualty!!! :think:
A few years ago, I asked a girl in a book shop if they had a copy of Kirk Douglas' autobiography. "I'll just check", she said. "Who wrote it?"

BTW, when you are using an apostrophe to denote possession, and the subject word ends in "s", you do need to not add another "s" if you can't be *****: hence "Kirk Douglas' autobiography" in the above sentence. This is not a hard and fast rule. If you really insist on adding the extra "s", you can do so: hence "St James's Park". It's one of those either-is-acceptable rules that makes English so rich and varied.

(For anyone under the age of 40, Kirk Douglas is Michael Douglas' father.)

jdp1962 said:
The other use of the apostrophe is, of course, to denote possession: i.e.
  • "Ess Three's Porsche" or
  • "Bowfer's wonderful DSG gearbox"
Apostrophes in place names often fall into disuse over time, so"Earl's Court" becomes "Earls Court".

A frequent cause of confusion occurs when the two different usages (abbreviation and possession) collide over the two different words that can be spelled with the letters "i", "t" and "s". Hence:
  • "It's" is an abbreviation of "It is", and uses an apostrophe.
  • "Its" is the possessive form of the indefinite article "it" (i.e. "Scotland is a beautiful country, except for its climate"), but despite this, does not use an apostrophe.
The worst misuse of the apostrophe, however, has to be with plurals. The plural of "potato" is "potatoes", not "potatoe's".

None of this is fancy stuff, but basic English, as Rodenal said. I learned it for O-level English Language - the equivalent of today's GCSE, for those under the age of 35.

Now that, right there, is a quality post!
Respect! :applaus:

Lol its like learn with Ess three and Jdp monday

Being Scottish, its all greek to me LOL

Brung and bought, in the scottish langauge there is no confusion with these word.

E.g
Wee bobby brung his pieces tae school
Big Wullie bought his pieces frae the shop

see problem sovled!!!!

One of the ones that gets me at the moment is affect and effect.

"Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of "to influence" (how smoking affects health). Effect means "to bring about or execute": layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about."

jdp1962 said:
A few years ago, I asked a girl in a book shop if they had a copy of Kirk Douglas' autobiography. "I'll just check", she said. "Who wrote it?"

BTW, when you are using an apostrophe to denote possession, and the subject word ends in "s", you do need to not add another "s" if you can't be *****: hence "Kirk Douglas' autobiography" in the above sentence. This is not a hard and fast rule. If you really insist on adding the extra "s", you can do so: hence "St James's Park". It's one of those either-is-acceptable rules that makes English so rich and varied.

I always thought that you put in the extra "s" if you pronounce it. Hence Kirk Douglas's surfeit of spurious esses :)

Oh, and for any Americans reading - it's called English because we invented it, and aluminium has the letter "i" twice - please pronounce them both!:beee:

Actually the original name was Aluminum. It was the english who added the extra i

And no I am not american.

Stiff upper lip probably couldn't handle the phonetics...

jdp1962 said:

And for anyone under the age of 55, St James's Park is the home of a football club that did once win a domestic trophy.

nivagh said:
I always thought that you put in the extra "s" if you pronounce it. Hence Kirk Douglas's surfeit of spurious esses :)

Now that's what I call alliteration!

Stringster said:
One of the ones that gets me at the moment is affect and effect.

"Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of "to influence" (how smoking affects health). Effect means "to bring about or execute": layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about."

Quite. :applaus:

Once saw a play called "The Effect".
Amazing how the special effects affect "The Effect" effect.

ow.... my brain hurts....

SamDude said:
The other one is "brang". Again, no such word according to my trip throught the education system...

I think you'll find thats "brung"