Facelift Brake Discs and Pads

alpesh26

Reaction score
I'm needing new discs and pads all round as my front discs have warped and the rears have scored. I'm running a JB4 so power is up to around 350-360bhp (not verified) and may replace this with a "proper" map in the future. I'm not tracking the car so it will be fast road use.

With the extra power, I've been looking at MTEC discs but unsure if the different types will be of benefit to me or a hindrance compared to a standard flat disc (cracking etc.). I've also been looking at Brembo Xtra discs as well as Golf Clubsport S discs and pads but these are £££ and I doubt the 1kg weight saving per disc over stock would make much difference (they do look cool though!).

What disc and pad combo's are you guys using considering the extra power and are you happy with them?

Some reading for you, it’s the usual suspects normally, Pagid / Ferodo / TRW / Mintex etc

Good luck in the hunt

This pic that @AlS3BE posted tells me to go with flat face discs...

Reactions: AlS3BE
This pic that @AlS3BE posted tells me to go with flat face discs...
View attachment 241940
Ahhh that brings back memories. Scariest thing was this happened on a track. Maybe daily runs to shops might not have cracked it so bad.
saying that my last merc had drilled disc from factory and after 40k they didn’t crack. I suppose it’s the aftermarket stuff to be more aware of.

Reactions: alpesh26
After looking about, I'm thinking TRW Discs all round and rear TRW stock pads as the discs come painted and probably what Audi use anyway and Ferodo DS performance pads up front.

Anyone using the DS Performance pads? How do you like them over stock?

Reactions: AlS3BE
After looking about, I'm thinking TRW Discs all round and rear TRW stock pads as the discs come painted and probably what Audi use anyway and Ferodo DS performance pads up front.

Anyone using the DS Performance pads? How do you like them over stock?
Trw is my go to. Can’t fault the quality and they almost always come with new bolts, shims and even sensors.
not had any experience with ferodo performance but their ds2500 is one of the best fast road/track pads I’ve used. A little bit dusty but well worth it for better braking. Why not try the trw pads unless you really needing shedload of extra performance? I had them in my a6 272 and for 2 ton big barge they held up very well. Would say better than the Audi oe pads.

Trw is my go to. Can’t fault the quality and they almost always come with new bolts, shims and even sensors.
not had any experience with ferodo performance but their ds2500 is one of the best fast road/track pads I’ve used. A little bit dusty but well worth it for better braking. Why not try the trw pads unless you really needing shedload of extra performance? I had them in my a6 272 and for 2 ton big barge they held up very well. Would say better than the Audi oe pads.

TRW make the braking systems on the S3, they're reasonably priced and painted (saves me getting the Hammerite out).

I spoke with RFT Group (Trevor) who's name came up on the RS3 side and he recommended the Ferodo DS Performance, they were designed with the stock disc so should be fine with the TRW discs. For the rears I went TRW disc and Brembo Xtra pads. I couldn't justify the cost of the DS Performance on the rear, and the Brembo Xtra is a performance pad too. I'll report back with my findings once I've fitted it all and had it all bedded in.

Skimming the current discs was an option but probably not worth the faff over the cost of new ones

Reactions: 8YARWY and AlS3BE
I went Mtec drilled discs all round, and Brembo xtra pads, I didnt track the car but they got used and were an upgrade over the standard stuff, plus less dust.

Reactions: alpesh26 and AlS3BE
TRW make the braking systems on the S3, they're reasonably priced and painted (saves me getting the Hammerite out).

I spoke with RFT Group (Trevor) who's name came up on the RS3 side and he recommended the Ferodo DS Performance, they were designed with the stock disc so should be fine with the TRW discs. For the rears I went TRW disc and Brembo Xtra pads. I couldn't justify the cost of the DS Performance on the rear, and the Brembo Xtra is a performance pad too. I'll report back with my findings once I've fitted it all and had it all bedded in.

Skimming the current discs was an option but probably not worth the faff over the cost of new ones
Always seen skimming discs was a waste of time. Especially now discs are relatively cheap and it’s not worth spending £30+ to skim 1 disc when you can get a new one for not much more. Suppose it’s different when you have fancy discs that’s like a grand a piece.

I’m about to fire on this myself.
A quick question though? What front pads would everyone recommend that don’t create a ridiculous amount of brake dust. My current setup is extremely dusty!

Attachments

• CF7878BF-2BCA-49CE-A4C2-C4379C7BDA6F.png
    CF7878BF-2BCA-49CE-A4C2-C4379C7BDA6F.png
    431 KB · Views: 85
I’m about to fire on this myself.
A quick question though? What front pads would everyone recommend that don’t create a ridiculous amount of brake dust. My current setup is extremely dusty!
My experience with the trw is they are less dusty compared to Audi oe pads. That was on a6’s not my s3 though.

Great service from RFT, ordered the pads at 4:30pm last night and they've just been delivered! Have to wait for the other bits from Auto Doc so will be about a week or so

Great service from RFT, ordered the pads at 4:30pm last night and they've just been delivered! Have to wait for the other bits from Auto Doc so will be about a week or so

Trevor is superb. We worked on the RS3 pad development together, well it was me that convinced him to put them into production with wear sensors etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for OEM disc and pads from TPS & also changed the brake fluid at the same time. I drive my car pretty hard and I think the standard brakes do a decent job even when they start to heat up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I use MTEC C-Hook discs all round, definitely an improvement over the standard discs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk