Brake discs & strange noise

Here you go John:

View attachment 33299View attachment 33298View attachment 33300View attachment 33301

I reckon I've done about 10k miles on these, approx. Brembo sport pads are now definitely ramping up the "hiss" under dry conditions...

By the way, did you hear the one about Coulsdon Audi fitting my summer rubber Mich PSS 235 both to the RHS front/rear and original Conti 225 both to the LHS front/rear? Well, this was rectified last week by them refitting 225 front and 235 rear… Eejits.

I'd 100% put a set of EBC Red Stuff pads on those Marcus, NOW!

AND the EBC Red Stuff pads are cheaper than the Brembo alternatives - which I have a new set of in a box (offers please) that I nearly fitted just to evaluate for myself but didn't...:think:

I am having exactly the same problem, the squeak is back and it seems to be coming just from the left tho, the intermittent thudding noise and also when slamming on at very high speed the car slightly pulls to the left and then back to the right.
My discs also had the same lines as in Veneeringman photos but I have just been outside to take my own pictures and they are not there anymore!!

I have had it in at the dealers, but somehow in the test run with the chief tech in the car it didn't squeak ones, ****** typical, so they just dismantled and cleaned all the brake system.

Will be sending an email to the guy from Audi UK who looked after me during the previous brakes saga and share the outcome.

I have also been quoted from Preston Audi £300 (400 fitted) for a set of new front pads.....:wtf:

That thudding/graunching noise is what I had !

We managed to replicate 'that' noise and the low speed squeal while on a test drive with Darren the master tech at Stafford Audi.

The car was stripped down on Tuesday this week and by Thursday Stafford Audi rang me to say it was ready for collection.

New discs & pads installed.......

Bucket seat creak (2nd time) fixed.... Interestingly Stafford informed me that while Manchester Audi had put a new seat base in, they had not performed the 'Mod' to this as detailed on the TPI bulletin !

Stafford Audi are in my opinion by far the best Dealership at getting things sorted they'll be getting all my business in future.

Stafford Audi :applaus:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Stafford Audi are in my opinion by far the best Dealership at getting things sorted they'll be getting all my business in future.

Stafford Audi :applaus:

GO! Stafford Audi - with local support and/or abuse of course.

Old Guys Rule, hey Sean...:jump:

Reactions: T-800
....These pads need 250-miles to fully bed-in, and I'm already looking forward to that (hopefully with the Michelins fitted, still waiting...)

Hurry up with those Michelins John ! :sm4: .... I'm eagerly awaiting your comparison, especially as you have experience of both the 235's and 255's on the front :thumbsup:

I've not had any problems with my front brakes since the upgrade touch wood (and over 6000 miles on them now) but will keep my eye on them.

I'd 100% put a set of EBC Red Stuff pads on those Marcus, NOW!

AND the EBC Red Stuff pads are cheaper than the Brembo alternatives - which I have a new set of in a box (offers please) that I nearly fitted just to evaluate for myself but didn't...:think:

Very tempted John, since to get rid of the "hiss" (Brembo sport pads - turns out they are not immune to noise) will require more components and a trip to the local garage anyway. Which make/model did you match the pads to, if the RS3 isn't listed as compatible? Since Coulsdon Audi are owing me a favour, I may get new discs out of this and get them to fit these Red Stuff pads…

Incidentally, 225 front and 235 rear is not a recommended set up, as I have inadvertently experienced due to a Coulsdon Audi balls up! Traction control lights up intermittently but when it does it is every five seconds for the whole journey. You can feel that the car isn't happy too. I'm just wondering how much harm has been caused to the tyres etc by 1. 235 all on one side and 225 all on the other side for several thou miles, followed by 2. 225 front and 235 rear for about 500 miles. Maybe the traction control light issue is more to do with uneven tread wear or something?

On a lighter note, I floored it off an M20 junction very late last night and lost all the nuisance cars around me quickly, then in the rear view mirror very, very far away saw twinkling blue lights in the distance. Pulled into the slow lane with 70mph on cruise control and waited several minutes for the police to catch up. No harm done, they just turned off the blues and pulled in front of me at 75mph for the next 10 miles with me at a safe distance before they left the motorway and I boomed off on my merry way!

Reactions: KKM
Which make/model did you match the pads to, if the RS3 isn't listed as compatible?

Hi Marcus :hi: I matched the RS3 front pads to the Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru Impreza.

Note: although I'm amazed at the initial performance of these pads on my car I'm only just into the first 50-miles of evaluation, I'll be doing more road miles when I've EBC Red Stuff on the rears and Michelins on all 4-corners.

My brake squeal began on both the original brake pads and the 47i6 upgrade at 1250-miles or so, so at 1500-miles on these EBC pads I'll be able to be more informative.

Reactions: 5CYL, 8PARSY and monkeyboy_marcus
Can someone please confirm these are the right ebc pads that will fit the rs3 brembo's. From the info above it's seems the Alfa gt 3.2 shares the part number.
EBC REDSTUFF BRAKE PADS FRONT ALFA ROMEO GT 3.2 2004-2007 DP31540C

Can someone please confirm these are the right ebc pads that will fit the rs3 brembo's. From the info above it's seems the Alfa gt 3.2 shares the part number.

The pad size data is the same as EBC 31210C that I'm already using in my car but with a brake sensor cable, I guess your going to have to get a set and try 'em to be sure.

However, BREMBO list the EBC31210C brake pad (the one I'm using) for use in the following cars (including the 3.2 GTA):

Alfa Romeo 156 (932) 1.9 JTD: 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo 159 1.8TBi, 3.2JTS, 2.4JTD 147: 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo 166 (936) 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.2, 2.4JTD 129 - 176 09.98 10.00 F 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo BRERA 1.8TBi, 3.2JTS, 2.4JTDM 147 - 191 01.06 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 GTA 176 11.03 07.B314.48

Alfa Romeo SPIDER (939) 1.8TBi, 3.2JTS 147 - 191 09.06 F 07.B314.48

Aston Martin DB9: 07.B314.48

Aston Martin VANTAGE V8: 07.B314.48

Audi RS3: 07.B314.48

Audi TTRS: 07.B314.48

Citroen DS3 Racing 68/70: 07.B314.48

Lancia KAPPA (838A) 2.0 20V Turbo, 3.0 24V: 07.B314.48

Mitsubishi LANCER EVO V, VI, VII, VIII, IX: 07.B314.48

Mitsubishi EVO X LANCER EVO X: 07.B314.48

Renault MEGANE III Sport RS 250: 07.B314.48

Volvo S60 R 2.5T AWD: 07.B314.48

Volvo V70 II ESTATE (P80) 2.5T, 2.5R: 07.B314.48

Yes they will be ok jimbo you just have to mod the sensor conn

I'm sure the brake wear sensor can be disabled if you have Vag-com, I did notice last week when looking at something else that it was included in a fitted options list.

Fit the EBC pads you won't regret it.

My wives RS3 has this noise, scored discs and excessively worn pads. Its going into Audi on tuesday to be looked at. Anyone thats had their's changed, under warranty for a second time, could you email me your reg, as its easier to quote this to Audi UK, as I have a case open, for them quickly to authorise a replacement set.

Cheers in advance

I thought my pre-47i6 brakes had much more 'bite' that the 47i6 ones.

I've had brake squeal with both pre and post 47i6 brakes @ 1250-miles or so and have sorted both though with a different application.

My big negative with the 47i6 pads was the occasional lack of bite and the amount of black 'spot' smuts/deposits I was getting.

Having been closely involved with Veneeringman's brake issues, having seen his brake pad friction surfaces, and in particular those same deposits on the inside of rims, I 'm back to the Brembo brake pad as the primary cause of all of the problems we're having with this car and so felt it time to try something else.

Now I've been involved with automotive brakes both in an amateur and professional role and do have hands-on experience at MIRA, so I started to search for alternative brake pads, and that's where I'm at now.

But your right, "will the red stuffs last longer? will they kill the discs quicker?" I don't know, but I intend to find out.

I'll be taking BLUEY to Stafford Audi early next week and let their Master Tech (who's just done Veneeringman's car) to let him experience this set-up - and I'm 100% sure that he'll be as gob smacked as I am before he gets off the Stafford Audi Industrial Estate. By that stage they'll have done 35-miles maximum, and I'm determined, knowing the miles needed to get a good feel into the Audi Brembo brake pads, that he tries them as early in the bedding-in process as possible (Sean will do the same later this morning as we'll do a back-to-back with both cars).

Following my Stafford Audi visit I'll be fitting EBC Red Stuff to the rears also.

Not only is the 'bite' better, but so is the pedal feel and travel with zero 'sponge' in pedal feel, just 'bite', 'bite', bite.

Oh, and EBC Red Stuff brake pads are Type Approved in their own right: 90R-01156/1530, and have been tested/evaluated/independently witnessed at MIRA where they found them to "reduce a car stopping distance by almost 50-ft from 100mph".

I've done more than a little research on these EBC Red Stuff brake pads, as I would: and I have used EBC products before on my Lotus Elan, Audi A2, and S3), so I'm confident that FOR ME out there on our heavily congested public roads, that these brake pads have provided a cost effective resolution to ALL of the Audi RS3 front brake doubts I had previously.

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ferodo-eco-friction-green-brake-pads-for-the-8p-rs3.397139/

Way better than Redstuff - in my opinion - for everyday use with an 8P RS3 on OEM discs