Sportback Brake discs!

Bostoncat

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a 2015 RS3 in 2018 without being aware of the issue with the wavey brake discs (hindsight is great!).

Since owning the car I have had two sets of front brake discs replaced by Audi, both started warping just after 3,000 miles. Luckily Audi has replaced both them both times as gestures of good will with the same disc versions (8V0.615.301.C).

They are warped again (yes after 3,000 miles!) and this time it is not surprising that Audi are refusing to cover the costs.

I am not an expert and any help would be greatly appreciated, would be great to know whether Audi have solved the problem with the latest discs which are now round and not waved (8V0.615.301.S).

I am happy to work with Audi, but to deny that there is a problem with the original brake design is rather sad but not unexpected for such a big car manufacturer.

From reading this very well covered topic the issue is to do with the vanes not being directional and that as the RS3 doesn’t have a true LSD so it uses the brakes to compensate, which causes one side’s disc to overheat, and with the standard OEM pads a lot of brake dust is generated which ends up deposited on the disc and warping.

If I was track day driver or someone who drove spirited with daily driving I would expect this and would have purchased upgraded discs/pads. But I am not, am more of a mid life crisis man who just loves his cars and appreciates what the car is all about!

Personally I love the RS3, it's an amazing car and brilliant build quality, it's the perfect everyday car.

If the newest version fair no better, I am considering replacing the Audi discs with the set produced by Alcon/Revo (RA551B200600) hoping they have solved the directional blade cooling issue.

They do look the part, just need to match with the correct pads, so any advice gratefully received!

Thank you very much for reading and thank you.

Forget the Audi crap. I’ve spent £££’s over the years on the 3 RS3’s I’ve owned.

Reyland discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Zero issues.

2ac3dfe71a0098e23bcc5744b6549d4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x, Beebee-one, savo and 2 others
Im fairly certain the new non wavy are just one direction also so i would recommend putting your money with some Alcon as mentioned or Reyland.

when I got my RS3 in 2016 Audi replaced 2 sets of wavy & both warped ... 3rd time fitted circular & they were fine for the remaining 3.5 years I owned the car.

The FL disc certainly are meatier on the faces with a narrower cooling vane in the middle.

However mine just wouldn’t stop squealing.
34b29f7d6ea13e469abdb8d9faa2f210.jpg

My PFL below
aacd0b112762701166b79e34f0c71440.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies, gratefully received.

Cheers for the piccie T-1000, I have the same alloys and those Reylands look amazing .... I have brake disc envy!

Don’t hold much hope with Audi fitting another set, and to be honest am more than happy to pay to get a set which last.

Just a shame Audi let themselves down with such bad design on the discs, as the rest of the car is awesome. Although from what I’ve read they originally fitted a harder compound of pads when the car was first launched, which had a major squealing issues so changed to a softer pad which I guess just aren’t compatible.

Hi all

I bought a 2015 RS3 in 2018 without being aware of the issue with the wavey brake discs (hindsight is great!).

Since owning the car I have had two sets of front brake discs replaced by Audi, both started warping just after 3,000 miles. Luckily Audi has replaced both them both times as gestures of good will with the same disc versions (8V0.615.301.C).

They are warped again (yes after 3,000 miles!) and this time it is not surprising that Audi are refusing to cover the costs.

I am not an expert and any help would be greatly appreciated, would be great to know whether Audi have solved the problem with the latest discs which are now round and not waved (8V0.615.301.S).

I am happy to work with Audi, but to deny that there is a problem with the original brake design is rather sad but not unexpected for such a big car manufacturer.

From reading this very well covered topic the issue is to do with the vanes not being directional and that as the RS3 doesn’t have a true LSD so it uses the brakes to compensate, which causes one side’s disc to overheat, and with the standard OEM pads a lot of brake dust is generated which ends up deposited on the disc and warping.

If I was track day driver or someone who drove spirited with daily driving I would expect this and would have purchased upgraded discs/pads. But I am not, am more of a mid life crisis man who just loves his cars and appreciates what the car is all about!

Personally I love the RS3, it's an amazing car and brilliant build quality, it's the perfect everyday car.

If the newest version fair no better, I am considering replacing the Audi discs with the set produced by Alcon/Revo (RA551B200600) hoping they have solved the directional blade cooling issue.

They do look the part, just need to match with the correct pads, so any advice gratefully received!

Thank you very much for reading and thank you.

I also have an RS3 2015 and when Reached around 20,000km we had a look at them snd were still within leafs tolerances. Just changed the brake pads. Now, I’ve done 38500km and have just bought DBA aftermarket wavy design with pads(will let you know exact model) for $1250 Australian $. DON’T GO TO AUDI DEALERSHIP!!!! They will rip you side ways!!

Hi barbalatte,

Thanks for the post, if you could let me know the model numbers for your aftermarket wavy discs and pads that would be great.

I do like the look of the wavy style, shame Audi’s aren’t fit for purpose!

My RS3 has now been sitting at my local dealership for 2 weeks while Audi decide whether to cover the cost to replace my discs/pads for a 3rd time.

My argument with them has been that they wavy discs have a major design fault, and why did they not replace them on the previous 2 occasions with the current revision of their RS3 discs (non wavy).

Personally I wouldn’t give Audi £2.50 from my own pocket to replace for Audi discs, from what I’ve learnt the way to go is to pay for aftermarket ones (which also perform much better).

Will take the Audi discs if they replace for free, as annoyingly my car failed its MOT due to the warping and can no longer be driven on public roads, so if I can get them replaced for free I can at least drive home then look at the aftermarket options.

Another AudiSports member has kindly helped me and given me some information on exactly what happened to them (which is the same as me where Audi did replace their wavy discs with the circular ones).

Discussed this with Audi last week and am still waiting for a response!

We’ve changed our minds on the brakes a few times now. We originally gona go with the Feridos but found another mechanic associated had luck with the 3-4th pair he tried on his car. So we will try those 1st. Will let you know the models. The discs have arrived already. DBA 5000. Wavy design aftermarket

I've never had floating/2 piece rotors. Do they rattle at all at low speed? How many miles have you put on those Reylands, and have they discoloured or corroded at all? Hows the dusting on the Ferrodo pads?

No rattle at low speed.
No weird noises at all....
No discolouration and I’ve had them on for 10k miles now.
DS2500 aren’t any worse than oem pads in my experience although I tend to keep the car clean whenever possible anyway.

Best money I’ve spent.

No squealing either.

EBC, thats a name from the 80's used them on my Ford mk2 RS2000, yes less dust and good for heavy use. Checked their website, Contact for Availability for Audi.

Cheers for that @T-1000 - Reyland it is then.

I'd run EBC (green) pads on other cars, but I see they get no love from the RS3 crowd. The best thing was the low dusting, the stock pads are awful. I had hopped the DS2500 might be an improvement.... Getting tiresome keeping the wheels clean, and has caused a lot of corrosion on my discs.

My advice is go with what pad makes you happy.

I went with the DS2500’s because I’ve used Ferodo on 2 previous RS cars and Martin at Reyland recommended them with his discs.

I’ve decided on Reyland with the curved groove type, they do look the business.

The other day I was chatting with my local garage and mentioned about the Reyland discs I wanted fitting, he raved on about the brand having used them for years on various Cosworth projects and said to me it’s money so very well spent.

Just need my car back now Audi!

Reactions: 8YARWY
Having tried all sorts of discs and pad combo's on both my PFL and FL RS3's and I have to say that the Reyland's and DS2500 pads get my vote as the best all round disc and pad combo at that price point. If money is no object, then the AP Racing Radical caliper and disc upgrade would be the number 1 choice.
I had Reyland make me a set of handed 380mm floating two piece with curved grooves and they were on the car for 13K miles and still looked fresh despite some hard use at Santa Pod and track sessions. In hindsight I would say that the 370mm size (same as fitted to T-1000 car) is up to the job and a few hundred quid cheaper too.

IMG 0109

Last edited:
Having tried all sorts of discs and pad combo's on both my PFL and FL RS3's and I have to say that the Reyland's and DS2500 pads get my vote as the best all round disc and pad combo at that price point. If money is no object, then the AP Racing Radical caliper and disc upgrade would be the number 1 choice.
I had Reyland make me a set of handed 380mm floating two piece with curved grooves and they were on the car for 13K miles and still looked fresh despite some hard use at Santa Pod and track sessions. In hindsight I would say that the 370mm size (same as fitted to T-1000 car) is up to the job and a few hundred quid cheaper too.

View attachment 207354
Ahem ;)

TX.
a6083efe7608c0833d428ba417c01c04.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY and Count Drunkula
That's the ones! No need for ceramics when you have this kit fitted. Have you sold these now TX?

Rumour has it they are on Johns butlers car.......

Reactions: Terminator x
That's the ones! No need for ceramics when you have this kit fitted. Have you sold these now TX?
Yep sold front and rears together. Unstoppable on track, didn't fade once.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beebee-one and 8YARWY
My advice is go with what pad makes you happy.

I went with the DS2500’s because I’ve used Ferodo on 2 previous RS cars and Martin at Reyland recommended them with his discs.

I have purchased some 380mm floating Reyland discs with the J-Hook cut by your recommendation of Reyland and the discs look amazing.

They’ve been sat in my room for months, but a few days ago my pad warning came on and now I’m ready to go! However I’ve come across some posts tonight quite worryingly highlighting issues with the DS Performance and Reyland discs? Again I went for the DSP pads you helped develop with the wear sensors, but the last thing I want to do is fit them and have issues and have just shy £400 down the drain on the pads.

What’s your experience of both? It’s not too late for me to change them I could get them send back to RFT and swapped for DS2500. I didn’t go for the DS2500 for a number of reasons, no wear sensors (not that it matters that much), supposedly don’t perform best from cold, excess dust and the fact they’re not road legal.

I’d greatly appreciate your input on this so I can make a call as I was going to fit them on Tuesday :-(

I'm about to pull the trigger on the same setup, but I'm none to keen on the dusting if it's as bad as the Audi ones. Is there a decent alternative to the DS2500 that is less dusty, and what is the issue with the DS performance? Do the eat the Reyland discs as EBC as said to do. If so is it a case of Reylands being relatively soft steel?

I think any decent pad upgrade is going to give off more dust, from a pas more biased to performance anyway? The DS Performance I think are supposed to have the same if not a tiny bit less dust, the DS2500 are supposed to have heavy dust worse than the Audi pads. I’ve read now that the DSP don’t have the performance you’d expect when paired with the Reyland discs? That’s the ones I have ready to go on. I’ve got Reyland fronts and Brembo coated rears as they only cost £70. I had Reyland cut matching patterns into the Brembo’s, looks amazing!

Good thing with the Reyland floating discs is you can just change the rotors and retain the bells, half price next time.

bc8311250b36be5904767d0403b4a2ce.jpg

31e45683135be15451c539163d8a2c76.jpg

I think any decent pad upgrade is going to give off more dust, from a pas more biased to performance anyway? The DS Performance I think are supposed to have the same if not a tiny bit less dust, the DS2500 are supposed to have heavy dust worse than the Audi pads. I’ve read now that the DSP don’t have the performance you’d expect when paired with the Reyland discs? That’s the ones I have ready to go on. I’ve got Reyland fronts and Brembo coated rears as they only cost £70. I had Reyland cut matching patterns into the Brembo’s, looks amazing!

Good thing with the Reyland floating discs is you can just change the rotors and retain the bells, half price next time.

Good choice on discs although I think the 380mm (same as fitted to my car) are probably a bit OTT unless you are doing a lot of track days. If I had to fit uprated brakes to another RS3 I would probably opt for the Reyland 370mm size (as fitted to T-1000 car) as they are plenty good enough for fast road and around £200 cheaper too.
The Reyland discs are made on Padgid blanks and machined to suit your order, they are a good quality item and from much of my experience (and also T-1000's too) of testing different types of pads with these discs I can tell you that they are a great match with the DS2500 pad. The wear rate is probably among the best I have experienced this side of the more expensive AP Racing discs. As for the extra dust comments, in my opinion the dust was actually less than the OEM pads and was never a problem.
Dont let the wear indicator put you off the DS2500's. It's easy to snip off the single wear sensor off the OEM pads, trim, strip and join the two wires together (little stubby length is fine) and seal the joint with some high temp epoxy. Simply plug the connector back in and forget. It's easy to view the pads though the 8 pot calipers and the DS2500's last well. I took a look at mine after nearly 14K miles of mixed use and they looked like 70% of the pad was left. Cold speed bite is really good, especially when the pads are newly bedded in.
As I have previously mentioned in my posts elsewhere on this subject, brakes are very much a personal thing as we all drive our cars differently and have expectations of what we like to feel through the brake pedal. I have invested much cash and time trying out all sorts of combinations of pads including the Ferodo DS Performance, Ferodo Premier and DS2500's ( I still have boxes of hardly used pads sitting under my desk in the study). The original DS Performance pads were really good on my PFL but when I tried them on my FL car they felt different since Ferodo had them R90 approved. The Premier's were a bit harder on the discs but the DS2500's seem to be a sweet spot and work really well with the Reylands. No damn squealing either.

Good choice on discs although I think the 380mm (same as fitted to my car) are probably a bit OTT unless you are doing a lot of track days. If I had to fit uprated brakes to another RS3 I would probably opt for the Reyland 370mm size (as fitted to T-1000 car) as they are plenty good enough for fast road and around £200 cheaper too.
The Reyland discs are made on Padgid blanks and machined to suit your order, they are a good quality item and from much of my experience (and also T-1000's too) of testing different types of pads with these discs I can tell you that they are a great match with the DS2500 pad. The wear rate is probably among the best I have experienced this side of the more expensive AP Racing discs. As for the extra dust comments, in my opinion the dust was actually less than the OEM pads and was never a problem.
Dont let the wear indicator put you off the DS2500's. It's easy to snip off the single wear sensor off the OEM pads, trim, strip and join the two wires together (little stubby length is fine) and seal the joint with some high temp epoxy. Simply plug the connector back in and forget. It's easy to view the pads though the 8 pot calipers and the DS2500's last well. I took a look at mine after nearly 14K miles of mixed use and they looked like 70% of the pad was left. Cold speed bite is really good, especially when the pads are newly bedded in.
As I have previously mentioned in my posts elsewhere on this subject, brakes are very much a personal thing as we all drive our cars differently and have expectations of what we like to feel through the brake pedal. I have invested much cash and time trying out all sorts of combinations of pads including the Ferodo DS Performance, Ferodo Premier and DS2500's ( I still have boxes of hardly used pads sitting under my desk in the study). The original DS Performance pads were really good on my PFL but when I tried them on my FL car they felt different since Ferodo had them R90 approved. The Premier's were a bit harder on the discs but the DS2500's seem to be a sweet spot and work really well with the Reylands. No damn squealing either.

First of all thanks very much for your detailed reply, brilliant! I had planned to go for the 370mm discs but was informed of a Group Buy on RS3 brakes as I was on the phone to them and hence made the jump to the 380mm because they were a good price, the larger discs were £875 down to £740.

I already have one wear sensor made up for the rear as I had planned on this, it doesn’t bother me because as you said all I’ve done since buying the brakes is look at my pads on the weekly to see when they need changing and now my warning is intermittently on, I’m going for it and glad I waited now after this!

I trust yours and T-1000’s experience on this forum above all and if you say the DS2500 is best then that’s what I’m going to have to get, will have to buy another set tomorrow so they arrive for Tuesday and return the DSP’s hopefully they take them back. Previously I had figured if T-1000 has invested much time in getting the wear sensors fitted to the DSP’s, those were the best pads for the car.

So I think I’d be right in saying that the DS2500 will have their set heavy bedding procedure? I was advised by RFT that’s the DSP were a case of following manufacturers guidelines, gentle braking for 250 miles.

First of all thanks very much for your detailed reply, brilliant! I had planned to go for the 370mm discs but was informed of a Group Buy on RS3 brakes as I was on the phone to them and hence made the jump to the 380mm because they were a good price, the larger discs were £875 down to £740.

I already have one wear sensor made up for the rear as I had planned on this, it doesn’t bother me because as you said all I’ve done since buying the brakes is look at my pads on the weekly to see when they need changing and now my warning is intermittently on, I’m going for it and glad I waited now after this!

I trust yours and T-1000’s experience on this forum above all and if you say the DS2500 is best then that’s what I’m going to have to get, will have to buy another set tomorrow so they arrive for Tuesday and return the DSP’s hopefully they take them back. Previously I had figured if T-1000 has invested much time in getting the wear sensors fitted to the DSP’s, those were the best pads for the car.

So I think I’d be right in saying that the DS2500 will have their set heavy bedding procedure? I was advised by RFT that’s the DSP were a case of following manufacturers guidelines, gentle braking for 250 miles.

I found the best bedding in for the DS2500's with the Reylands is to go out for a 30 minute drive (early morning is best because people wonder why you keep speeding up and then braking again) and gradually build up braking feel with multiple braking/slowing with increased pedal pressure from speeds of 60/65mph. When you are doing this try to avoid coming to a complete stop and definitely don't bed them in on a wet day or go through any depth of water as the discs/pads will be going through heat cycling and the thermal shock of sudden cooling wont do either of them any good.
After you have completed the drive and head home let the brakes cool a little before rolling to a stop on the drive. Over the next few drives the initial cold speed bite should be more noticeable too.
I see that you went for the J hook design instead of the curved groove. I assume you are aware that these can make a slight 'thrumming' noise when used hard and wont need to post 'my brakes are making a funny noise' lol.

I found the best bedding in for the DS2500's with the Reylands is to go out for a 30 minute drive (early morning is best because people wonder why you keep speeding up and then braking again) and gradually build up braking feel with multiple braking/slowing with increased pedal pressure from speeds of 60/65mph. When you are doing this try to avoid coming to a complete stop and definitely don't bed them in on a wet day or go through any depth of water as the discs/pads will be going through heat cycling and the thermal shock of sudden cooling wont do either of them any good.
After you have completed the drive and head home let the brakes cool a little before rolling to a stop on the drive. Over the next few drives the initial cold speed bite should be more noticeable too.
I see that you went for the J hook design instead of the curved groove. I assume you are aware that these can make a slight 'thrumming' noise when used hard and wont need to post 'my brakes are making a funny noise' lol.

My plan is to go out late at night to one of the local trunk roads about 15 miles away where I will have loads of time to allow cooling without stopping. Hopefully will stay dry, what you’ve said about thermal shock definitely makes sense I hadn’t thought of that.

I have read online that approx 15x 50% pressure stops from 60 for 4 seconds maximum at half mile intervals is what Ferodo seem to recommend? That would be doable where I’m going.

I wasn’t aware they are known for it, but thanks haha! I wasn’t sure what to go for so I went with what I see most commonly the J Hook and the Alcon discs use the hooks. My standard brakes get noisy after a couple 70ish.. slows to a roundabout on short stretches of dual carriageway and that’s usually my sign to ease off. I’ve got hundreds and hundreds of cracks in my standard discs, only from the drilled vents are they quite large the rest are more like blemishes in the surface but it’s fair to say I’ve managed to get them hot for road use!! It’s the way it climbs to 70ish on the duals, effortless.

So what is your opinion on the pads being far too small for the calliper? I got Trevor to send me some shims but if they are even remotely stiff in the sliders then they aren’t getting fitted, not having pads stick on and damage the discs. Having only worked on a ‘normal’ brake setup before I thought they were totally wrong initially but apparently not, just can make for more noise? I am open to the possibility of they’re going to be noisier deviating from stock, not sure what to expect as to if and how much better they will feel over the stock setup.

Dust after 3 weeks of use including a week away in Devon.
Just not had the time to wash until today.

Reyland 370 mm Discs with 2500 pads are a superb combo.

Glad I chose the DS2500 over the performance pads.

4ee312ffd2e051450d081a4b908d91fe.jpg

b7938cd4e5e6d34b5a7b5a97cd476275.jpg

Reactions: Beebee-one and AudiNutta

I take it this is from FaceCrap owners groups ?
I wouldn’t take anything I read on there as useful at all, seems to be full of moaners / people asking the same old ridiculous questions re tyres/brakes/best spec cars/ remaps / wanting cheap second hand tat / offering services with fake/cloned Odis / VCDS software on 40k + cars.

In my opinion DS Performance are a good alternative to stock pads on stock discs.
Reylands seem to work better when paired with DS2500 pads, I’ve been running this setup for over 18 months and have zero squeal issues and zero issues overall.
Best upgrade to my car for normal / enthusiastic road use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beebee-one

DS Performance bedding in is totally different to DS2500.

After I fitted the Reyland /2500 I followed the DS2500 procedure to the letter and they squeaked the day after.......
So I then went up a stretch of motorway local to me that’s quiet in the evening, and gave them absolute hell from 70 to 30 mph as many times as I could, I did this route 4 times, 2 runs up and 2 back down, I then drove up and down the stretch without braking at all to allow them to cool down.

Next day, they were perfect and no squealing.

They’ve been perfect since.

I’ve got REVO (Alcon) 380mm discs with DS performance pads..
very happy with this combo.

Reactions: AudiNutta

Group buy you say?? Where can I enquire about this? Is it still available?

Group buy you say?? Where can I enquire about this? Is it still available?

This was a long time ago in Spring, I found out through Reyland themselves as it was another forum.

Reactions: Alli_RR