Brake fluid change

Candell

Reaction score
I have received an email from Audi

"The brakes in your Audi A4 are some of its hardest working components – and brake fluid is vital to keep them in sound working order. That’s why a brake fluid change is necessary after a car’s 3rd birthday, and every 2 years after that. The time has now come to have yours changed."

I'm due a service also, would this come in with that?

If not, what sort of price should I be looking at? There is an authorised Audi garage not too far from me who I guess will be cheaper, would they be ok to sort the oil change?

Reactions: glasgow1
I'd vote for the authorised garage. However under EU legislation it'll make no difference to any warranty, if you've an extended one..

Hi Candell
Main dealers charge £68. I am having mine done next week.

I had my first brake fluid change at 2 years even though Audi recommends 3 years. I noticed the difference immediately.

Unfortunately not, none of the manufacturers cars I've owned have included it within the normal servicing schedule costs..

Last edited:
Thanks folks, not had a car over three years old for as long as I can remember, I've just not seen anything that I want to replace my A4 with.

I'm possibly reaching a similar conclusion and this maybe the one car I get to keep for over three years also. But then there are few Audi's coming in the summer that might wet my appetite again...

I've looked at a variety of cars from all makes but don't feel like I'd be getting anything better. Hanging out until the summer also, see what turns up. Another problem with not renewing the car, I have to get an MOT :blink:

Yes me too as my current A4 does fit all my needs. Also looking in the summer to see what's about and we should know more about the new A4 & A3 by then. I actually had a test drive in a A-Class last week and it was simply awful. The low speed ride was poor, tyre slap could be heard inside the cabin, as could the not very nice exhaust sound. If anyone thinks the Audi gearbox is bad they should try the Mercedes automatics in the A-Class as it didn't seem to have a clue what gear it should be in constantly changing gear, which coupled with the noise inside the car, would make driving very tiring...

My friend works for Mercedes so receives a new car every few months, I like the outside but inside and the quality of the drive just doesn't do it for me. Volvo is again the same, like the outside but boy is the inside ugly. Also, nothing beats the Audi for lack of road noise. There isn't anything costly looming to be wary of with a 3 year plus A4 is there?

Reactions: cuke2u
That depends upon your mileage as the stronic gearbox requires an oil change at 38,000 miles costing around £225...

Not an issue on that front, I've only just hit 20k. That's good to know, the A3 I had years ago needed something worth £1500 if I'd have kept it. Not sure what it was now but it was a mileage thing IIRC

Reactions: cuke2u
One thing also you can do is because your car is going to requiring it's three year service. Is to have the service some 15 days plus after the car reaches three years, you can go up to thirty days beyond a service. Then you can have a fixed price service, cheaper if you don't have a service plan...