Brake Issues......any ideas?

Schuey

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my brakes, seems mostly front related. The problems are a grinding noise, drumming when braking, juddering, loss in brake effectiveness and just generally noisy. All of this is only with the brakes applied.

Car has done just 1400 miles and not driven hard etc.....

I have noticed score marks on the top, middle and bottom of each front disc so not really sure it could be a stone or something. Any ideas or suggestions?

I have it booked in to Audi but they have limited availability so I'm looking at 2 weeks for an appointment.

I dare say the dealer could see you quicker if you make the point that the brakes are not as effective as they should be and a safety concern...
Definitely something wrong with that contact patch, even with 1400 light miles they should be bedding in by now.

Reactions: xBox
Yep, it looks more like pitting?

I don't use wheel cleaners, just shampoo, so its not that........

Both sides very similar, slightly more feint on OSF.

Looks something similar to what I had on the 8p in the end Audi replaced the whole set up with new

When you say not driven hard, how easy did you take it during the first few-hundred?

Maybe they glazed and haven't bedded in properly.

Single-pot callipers are great 'as the pressure onto the brake pad is distributed evenly via the single piston; then we get 4-pot callipers on the 8P RS3; and unbelievably 8-pot callipers on the 8V RS3: only need any one of the four or eight to be 'sticky' and you've problems

Single pot callipers on our TT and A2 and the brakes are superb; 4-pot callipers on our 8P RS3 and it's taken a long time to develop a non-Audi resolution; as for 8-pot callipers on the 8V RS3 well have a nice day...

Oh, and them front hubs are aluminium so it'll not be rust and a polish with Solvol Autosol with sort it

Reactions: Ghost
When you say not driven hard, how easy did you take it during the first few-hundred?

Maybe they glazed and haven't bedded in properly.

I appreciate that its a different brake set up but I drive it the same as I have any other new car where I have had no issues, this problem has only appeared in the last 100 miles or so. I have been reading a lot on the 8P and TTS forums and people have had very similar problems, particularly the pictures posted of scoring plus squeal.

Attached is a comparison of 8v and 8P issue, you can see the similarity on scoring lines attributed to brake pads.

I now have a road test with a tech booked for tomorrow so should have feedback soon after.

Reactions: xBox
I appreciate that its a different brake set up but I drive it the same as I have any other new car where I have had no issues, this problem has only appeared in the last 100 miles or so. I have been reading a lot on the 8P and TTS forums and people have had very similar problems, particularly the pictures posted of scoring plus squeal.

Attached is a comparison of 8v and 8P issue, you can see the similarity on scoring lines attributed to brake pads.

View attachment 74711 I now have a road test with a tech booked for tomorrow so should have feedback soon after.

Hope it gets sorted :)

Reactions: Schuey
This is how they should look but then again I don't and will never, ever, ever again use Audi OE pads on my RS3...

P1020451x_zpsvirbe7kc.jpg

B7 rs4 had lots disc and pad issues essentially the same setup as this rs3 caused by pad deposits being left in the discs easy to do with the s tropic I would think. Other issue was the dowels in the standard pads being to hard and scoring the discs

Reactions: Marshy and 45bvtc
Basically the front brake pads had started to disintegrate, there were chunks missing from the pad, some of which had bonded to parts of the disc causing the scoring. The replacement parts are now on back order. Hopefully should be fitted Friday next week.

A lot of the problems seem to occur from the brakes not being used properly and effectively driving like a fanny. Get some spitied miles in and try some aggressive stops to see if you can get an even wear across the contact patch.

That scoring from the other pic is genuine scorring, your pics look to be more superficial.

A lot of the problems seem to occur from the brakes not being used properly and effectively driving like a fanny. Get some spitied miles in and try some aggressive stops to see if you can get an even wear across the contact patch.

That scoring from the other pic is genuine scorring, your pics look to be more superficial.

Or just take it back to Audi and claim under warranty?

The scoring is more superficial as I took it in as for repair soon as possible, car probably only did 100-120 miles.

Or just take it back to Audi and claim under warranty?

The scoring is more superficial as I took it in as for repair soon as possible, car probably only did 100-120 miles.

Yeah you could take it back but to be honest, I think giving the little mileage and the fact your;r probably still running it it, a few hard stops will probably be all that's needed to bed the pads in. Discs are consumable items and i therefore don't think you can get them exchanged under warranty due to the surface appearance!

I'm sure this is what any Audi parts fitter will do when they test it. Might be worth a go before wasting your time.

But the 40+ miles at QC will include spirited engine performance as well as stops. I don't think they need bedded as that will have been done.

PLEASE give thought to the FACT that 'some' 8P RS3 owners had front-brake issue from DAY ONE (in my own case 20th January 2012) and Audi UK or Audi GmbH have NOT as yet gotten around to sorting the issue 100% on a car-to-car 100% - ok so they changed callipers, pads, and discs but unsuccessfully...

EBC Redstuff sorted it for me and my Audi RS3 100% and I'll NEVER again fit OEM pads

Good luck to all you 8V RS3 guys but just keep in mind the experiences of the 8P RS3 guys 'cos for me nowt from Audi UK or Audi GmbH has changed

Reactions: Marshy
As above my brake problems have been resolved by fitting the red stuffs

Happy for you and me - warranty aside - just amazing the difference a set of 'alternative' brake pads can make after Audi did all and failed with ALL (for some) of there stuff...