Brake pad wear

Amchlolor

Reaction score
What's the usual mileage for front pads to wear out ?
My car's at over 23K miles now and still on the original pads.
They must be made of stone as I've never had pads last this long !
I'm nearly on my second set of front tyres,but original pads !!!
It's bothering me,as we're planning a wee driving holiday and sod's law says they'll wear out halfway through that....

On my last one the front pads were only 50% worn after £40k miles, and that included 14 laps of the Nordschleife!

I'm at 66k miles,with the original pads and disks, and still have plenty
of material left. Although the rears were worn to the back plates
at 64k miles.

hmmm with a soft brake disk compound braking should be so sweet... definitly upgrade on my S3

Can't say I've ever found the brakes on the A3 wanting, despite their longevity.

I'm at 40K in mine and the pads and discs are doing fine. I always have thought the standard brakes are crap but put this down to my car being fitted with DSG. And hence no real engine braking. I did pan to upgrade the discs/pads to the Golf Gti versions when they wore out but typically the never did!!!

I managed to run mine out in 22K for both the front and rears, but then that is a lot of country roads with 0-60-0 a lot of the time and I do drive hard. I now have redstuff pads all round and EBC sport discs on the front and now find that the braking is much more responsive. The thing that now stops the car stopping is the friction with the road, as before I would have trouble getting the ABS on.

Word of warning. Don't rely on the brake wear indicator. It is only present on the front nearside pad, and in my experience this is the slowest wearing pad.