brake servo restricted

bmullan

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this warning brake servo restricted +stop start fault?

Is your car a B9? If so it should have a warranty and I'd be calling out Audi Assist...

I have just had the above warning appear on my A5 MY17 2.0 TFSI, with advice that you can continue to drive the car. Luckily, I came across this lengthy thread on another A4 forum which I feel is worth linking, as the fix is simple and the consequences of continuing to drive could be expensive. It’s worth noting that the ABS module can be damaged if you continue to drive with the fault. The malfunction caused by the brake servo sensor seems to be quite common, mainly in the MY17.

I also mentioned in the thread to avoid some online .co.uk parts companies that are actually based in Germany and seem take forever to dispatch orders.
https://www.audiownersclub.com/forums/topic/13415-brake-servo-restricted/

Last edited:
Cheers Dave. That’s good to know should the worst happen to other owners

Just to re draw everyones attention to this as it is a potentially costly fault.

It seems from searching around various forums this is now a fairly common problem. It manifests itself as a "Brake servo restricted" warning together with a start/stop fault. Unhelpfully it suggests that you can continue to drive the car, however to do so would be extremely unwise.

I have just suffered this problem and was able to replace the brake pressure sensor myself (part no 5Q0906207B) for £79. Part sourced from local Audi dealer. The guy at the desk said they are now selling multiple sensors a week (and it isn't just the A4). It's a quick fix if you search for "brake servo restricted" online. However, if you continue to drive the car you could end up having to replace the entire ABS system for north of 3k. It has happened to people.

Be warned!

I just bought a 2017 S5 so I thought I would check.

PXL 20210914 103715486

It looks like I have the latest version "B", which according to ETKA was only available from 01/03/21.
Maybe the previous owner had replaced it already or do they all just fail.

I just bought a 2017 S5 so I thought I would check.

View attachment 242935

It looks like I have the latest version "B", which according to ETKA was only available from 01/03/21.
Maybe the previous owner had replaced it already or do they all just fail.
Hi MikeMod - I am looking at replacing mine on my S5 (2017). Can I please ask, where it is located on my car?

Hi MikeMod - I am looking at replacing mine on my S5 (2017). Can I please ask, where it is located on my car?
I found where the sensor was, ordered a new one, popped it in today (like 5 mins max) and bang, everything is now working again!!! Thanks all!

Reactions: mikemod
Just to re draw everyones attention to this as it is a potentially costly fault.

It seems from searching around various forums this is now a fairly common problem. It manifests itself as a "Brake servo restricted" warning together with a start/stop fault. Unhelpfully it suggests that you can continue to drive the car, however to do so would be extremely unwise.

I have just suffered this problem and was able to replace the brake pressure sensor myself (part no 5Q0906207B) for £79. Part sourced from local Audi dealer. The guy at the desk said they are now selling multiple sensors a week (and it isn't just the A4). It's a quick fix if you search for "brake servo restricted" online. However, if you continue to drive the car you could end up having to replace the entire ABS system for north of 3k. It has happened to people.

Be warned!
Hi, Just looking at your thread as i have the same issue. Have looked up on you tube on how to do it, just wanted to know if it needed coding or you just simply plug and play? Also is the part number the same for all brake servo pressure sensors? Mines a 2017 A4 B9 2.0 TDI Ultra. Thanks in advance

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone sharing on this thread! Went to Audi, they said it would be at least £500 to fix + a diagnostic fee. £80 later thanks to this forum and I’m good to go!

Hi, Just looking at your thread as i have the same issue. Have looked up on you tube on how to do it, just wanted to know if it needed coding or you just simply plug and play? Also is the part number the same for all brake servo pressure sensors? Mines a 2017 A4 B9 2.0 TDI Ultra. Thanks in advance
I have 2016 Q7, believe it’s a standard part across models. Plug and play, no need to code.

Hi I’ve had this fault I’ve just bought a pressure sensor will the fault go away with the new sensor in or will I need a diagnostic to remove the error

Hi I’ve had this fault I’ve just bought a pressure sensor will the fault go away with the new sensor in or will I need a diagnostic to remove the error
Hi, mine just went mate. simple plug and play sensor, five min job and been fine ever since. Seems it’s a very common problem.
Good Luck
Neil

Reactions: kezzamozza
Hi, mine just went mate. simple plug and play sensor, five min job and been fine ever since. Seems it’s a very common problem.
Good Luck
Neil
Likewise - simply replaced and the fault cleared. My stop/start fault took a few goes of the ignition going on/off to stop coming up, but no issues since.

I have 2016 Q7, believe it’s a standard part across models. Plug and play, no need to code.

kezzamozza, can you help me with locating where this pressure sensor is please? I got this error yesterday and luckily stumbled upon this forum! I've been googling to find out where in a 2016 Q7 this sensor is but haven't had any luck yet.​

kezzamozza, can you help me with locating where this pressure sensor is please? I got this error yesterday and luckily stumbled upon this forum! I've been googling to find out where in a 2016 Q7 this sensor is but haven't had any luck yet.​

I think I have found it. Attached a couple of pics so it can be of help to whoever might be looking. I'll post back after I've replaced the part

Attachments

• 20221008_130312.jpg
    20221008_130312.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 603
  • 20221008_130321.jpg
    20221008_130321.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 569
  • 20221008_130446.jpg
    20221008_130446.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 629
I think I have found it. Attached a couple of pics so it can be of help to whoever might be looking. I'll post back after I've replaced the part
Yep, that's the one. Mine had a little panel I had to remove under the bonnet, top left if you're standing in front of the car. Should give quite a bit of resistance when removing.

Hi , can someone share where is located in A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI e-tron ?? I can’t find it anywhere, please help