Brake squeal on revised version

klauster

Reaction score
Anyone got anywhere with this? Mines in with Audi at the moment and I am hoping they can do something as its as bad as the first version of brakes now

Oh yes, and you're NOT the first, and neither will you be the last...

Me: modified BLUEY's originals perfectly! However, had BLUEY upgraded to 47i6 - having argued vehemently with the MD of Audi UK (all documented here) against having the upgraded but gave in - only to find EXACTLY the same issues as with the original set-up...

Anyway, gave the 47i6 a fair run, brake squeal returning at the same mileage as with the originals... :sadlike:

Sorted that but had low confidence in the 'bite'

So did the sums :readit: and modified again :crying:

BLUEY's brakes are NOW AMAZINGLY GOOD! :yes:

ME and BLUEY are now H A P P Y ... :yahoo:

Alternatives recommended elsewhere Nick...

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Been there done that, had my second 'new' set beginning of May after updated set were squealing/making a graunching noise and they'd also scored the discs badly, after it came out from Audi with the new set up i had very faint signs of squeal, within the first 200 mile.

After much discussion with John (He'd already changed fronts to EBC Redstuff and was very happy) i decided to do the same, didn't fancy ruining another set of new discs with the crap OEM Brembo/Pagid pads, had no issues since, brake bite is better and very low dust, best of all though no squeal !

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
Been there done that, had my second 'new' set beginning of May after updated set were squealing/making a graunching noise and they'd also scored the discs badly, after it came out from Audi with the new set up i had very faint signs of squeal, within the first 200 mile.

After much discussion with John (He'd already changed fronts to EBC Redstuff and was very happy) i decided to do the same, didn't fancy ruining another set of new discs with the crap OEM Brembo/Pagid pads, had no issues since, brake bite is better and very low dust, best of all though no squeal !

PROBLEM is Sean, others are saying it'll not work... :haha:

Well all can say it worked for ME and I'm quite happy with it :icon_thumright:

Reactions: 45bvtc

AND the REARs Sean, FRONTs and REARs...:whistle2: SO GOOD we've done the TT too...:racer:

Reactions: T-800
I'll be honest John, when the time comes I'll be putting the EBC on the Renault Van we have..... now that does generate a lot of brake dust !!!!!!

Just pulled into the local shell garage to top up and the noise from the front of the car when slowly braking sounded like Jimi Hendrix feedback!! Not happy what can I do? Audi deserve an :asskicking:

Well there's always

Or turn up the radio / wear ear defenders.

Reactions: ColeyRS3 and 45bvtc
Warranty ,get them back in to audi ,but I've heard they just clean them ,other option to try different pads ,tarox ,ebc ,pagid etc ...

Just going round in circles with Audi that's why i decided to take matters into my own hands.

Audi dealers are bound by what Audi HQ tell them to do, they are not going to spend any more money coming up with another 'cure' on a 'dead' car.

Twice to have the same work done is enough for me....... Sooner spend some of my own money that way the car is on the road and not in Audi dealerships all the time.

Reactions: Kelza
Just as worrying that Audi/VW group are well aware of this problem but now happily fitting this very same system to Golf GTi PP and Seat Leon Cupra 'Nurbrurgring pack' equipped cars...I wonder if that is where all our old sets are ending up? Despite what they say this is no track disc/pad set up they will soon fade and warp on more demanding circuits.

"So the PP adds massive 370mm Brembo brake discs (30mm larger than standard) clamped by four-piston callipers - the exact same setup you'll find on the Audi TT RS. In terms of outright stopping power there's not a lot between this and the standard system, but the lack of fade is unquestionable. We completed two consecutive 12.9-mile laps and at the end they felt as strong as the first corner."

SEAT Leon Cupra SC 280 Performance Pack review | Auto Express

Just pulled into the local shell garage to top up and the noise from the front of the car when slowly braking sounded like Jimi Hendrix feedback!! Not happy what can I do? Audi deserve an :asskicking:

I would recommend to anyone having: a) low speed brake squeal, or b) lack of bite, or c) long pedal travel - all with the 47i6 upgrade to PLEASE go look at the thread: "EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC BRAKE PADS for the RS3" and in particular the posts: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, 15, and 16; and then make your own decision.

Reactions: ColeyRS3 and DAYTONA 500
Anyone got anywhere with this? Mines in with Audi at the moment and I am hoping they can do something as its as bad as the first version of brakes now

An Audi dealer will not sort this issue for you Nick, no way, they'll only do what GmbH allow and within the documented constraints of type approval.

Recently had an RS3 into an Audi dealer for its 'second' 47i6 upgrade (new discs and pads) and within 120-miles low speed squeal on that new set-up was back; sound familiar Sean...

As for the number of cars I've seen with the 47i6 pads fitted incorrectly, they are directional after all, that alone amazes me.

Good luck with your Audi dealer mind...

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Ah ok fair enough, so is it shims time John?

Ah ok fair enough, so is it shims time John?

Yes Nick, if you're going to retain your 47i6 brake pads then the BREMBO metal shims (Brembo 98.5032.40 (Mitsubishi MR475618)) I posted in the thread: "Another Brake Problem", post #57, did it for me; however, with Sean's car he wasn't as successful. Camskill sell these but they're quite expensive, however, their man did tell me that they have a 'basic' brake pad that come with these same shims that are considerably cheaper, cheap enough to throw away the pad...

Attachments

• P1000475xx.jpg
    P1000475xx.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 617
Only thing that cured my squeal with first upgrade was bevelling the radius outer & inner edges of the pads, however as the pads wore and the bevel disappeared so the squeal returned.

In my opinion it's the best £130 you'll spend on the car.

GUYS! Brake squeal was NOT the reason I went for REDSTUFF. My brake squeal issues were ZERO! ALL done and dusted. My problem was lack of bite with the 47i6 pads. I thought the originals better and the pedal travel too.

I needed to play, so, with lots of reading on other similar cars decided to play with REDSTUFF for my OWN drive requirements.

I'm not interested in track-days (or I might be shouting about YELLOWSTUFF).

My own requirements are a daily normal/legal/brisk/enthusiastic drive that doesn't generate brake squeal and provides good pedal feel and bite; and so here I am, REDSTUFF front and back, and BLUEY is simply (for me) AMAZING!

And I'm on a 5-year AUDI warranty with my car: and I've questioned that too, and I'm here for the time being with REDSTUFF; NOT YELLOWSTUFF, PINKSTUFF, or GREYSTUFF: but REDSTUFF.

I recommend it to you all - and if you've like me a TT, then REDSTUFF's good for that too...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vito
Have none of you tried the upgrade Brembo Sport (HP2000 compound) pads for your RS3?

They're supposed to be very very good, I've just bought front and rear for my S3, not fitted yet though.

Hi muzza how's things ,there's loads of different pads to choose ,yellow stuff,tarox corsa ,pagid rs4-2 ,ferodo ds2500 and mintex :)

Have none of you tried the upgrade Brembo Sport (HP2000 compound) pads for your RS3?

They're supposed to be very very good, I've just bought front and rear for my S3, not fitted yet though.

YES! Some 18-months ago, thank you...

Don't think that would work some how lol

Yep, rejected the 47i6 replacements and used these for about 15k miles with ceratec. They're still very effective but starting to make quite a bit of noise, although not in the same league as the old squeeaaaaal! Think I might go for John's redstuff...

SELL 'em on Muzza and go REDSTUFF - you'll be glad you did, honest...

SELL 'em on Muzza and go REDSTUFF - you'll be glad you did, honest...

I need something that will take the odd track day at Knockhill without disintegrating like the set of Redstuff did after 5 laps on a 300bhp Focus ST-3. I kid you not, the pad material literally came away from the backing plate and for that reason I will never use an EBC Brakes product again as long as I'm not driving a mobility scooter.

They were also rubbish on my Downhill MTB

HP2000 is marketed to be everything DS2500 is but with improved dust production less noise and less wear, I loved DS2500 as a dual duty pad so will be good to see how the HP2000 hold up.

Reactions: MBK
It does say on EBC website Red stuff only suited to fast road driving.
Maybe yellow / blue / orange stuff should've been used.

Or even the HotStuff pads as championed by Ben.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I need something that will take the odd track day at Knockhill without disintegrating like the set of Redstuff did after 5 laps on a 300bhp Focus ST-3. I kid you not, the pad material literally came away from the backing plate and for that reason I will never use an EBC Brakes product again as long as I'm not driving a mobility scooter.

They were also rubbish on my Downhill MTB

HP2000 is marketed to be everything DS2500 is but with improved dust production less noise and less wear, I loved DS2500 as a dual duty pad so will be good to see how the HP2000 hold up.

REDSTUFF is NOT for you Muzza... :no: DON't go there...

I agree about the DS2500 (good on similar weight Evo's and Scooby's) and the Pagid RS4-2 'Blue' are also worth considering. These worked perfectly for me on the RS3 both for road and track and didn't cause much disc wear either.

As you've already said forget EBC Redstuff for any track work and in my opinion Yellowstuff are only good for cars up to about 1200kg, after that they wear way too quickly.

I think we NEED another thread here for TRACK work

LOW speed 5 to 0mph brake squeal is the DAILY issue owners are trying to resolve here

Brake squeal on a SHELL forecourt is where we're at and ALL of my efforts have been to resolve road-going low-speed DAILY issues, NOT track...

I wont :)

How did you personally find the HP2000?

I what driving circumstance are you asking for my view: the daily drive or post 5-laps of the Knockhill circuit?:shrug:

Fair point on the second thread John and:

the Pagid RS4-2 'blue' didn't squeal on road or track.

To be clear about one downside they don't like working on discs that have a lot of surface 'rust' if left out in the wet, took a few heavy applications to clear that. Oh and they produce a thick black dust too, properly nasty stuff but as stopping devices they work well. There is certainly no wet weather braking 'delay' on road or track either as a very relieved Caterham driver who got in a bit of a spin at a wet Pembrey track day could tell you.

If you fit the EBC Redstuff and do get a shuffle on down a testing road and you notice the pedal start to go long (or a bit soft) they are ****** and it's time to ease off. 340+bhp and near 1600kg is a lot to put through those pads.

Putting the car in to get the 47i6 upgrade done in a couple of weeks. I am probably one of the few people on this forum who hasnt experienced any of the many issues associated with RS3 brakes, but I was talking to my local service manager and the topic came up and they essentially offered to do the upgrade so I thought why not, may as well get a new set of discs/calipers etc, after all the current set are now over 2 years old. However I am also slightly wary, based on the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" approach as to whether or not I am now going to start having problems based on many of the comments here? Any advice regards this new update re bedding in or anything I need to look out for?

regards

Bed it in slowly ,if at some point after 10k miles it happens just change pads ,pads are like 250 for a full front set ,I don't have brake squeal and I have the upgrade ,new disks and pads are always good ...

10K miles? blimey only done 12K in 2.5 years! so hopefully be some time before any issues. At the rate I am putting miles on the car there will probably be another Audi update available!

Cheers