Brake Squeal - update from Bavaria

I've had a call today, my dealer has 5 sets of pads coming to them and I'm first to be offered them.

Apparently they are made from a different compound.

no mention of new discs or calipers tho

There is a difference in the caliper between those shown in Alanjp's photo and mine; mine (on a June 2011 build) are flat across the face, where the RS logo is affixed:

View attachment 13545

Alanjp's 'new' caliper is clearly 'stepped'.

View attachment 13546

CHECK em out guys as here's a BIG difference.

I'll bet Brembo have changed the pistons from 4-equal daimeter to 2-large and 2-small - as this will push the leading edge of the pad on to the brake disc first (just as you would on old-style bicycle rim brakes to stop brake squeal). Maybe I'm wrong, but so long as it works, then who cares? Go Audi/Brembo, eventually!

Last edited:
Is that not just a reflection of the wheel spoke? Look at the outer edge its exactly the same.

Looks like it to me.

Is that not just a reflection of the wheel spoke? Look at the outer edge its exactly the same.

Looks like it to me.

You could well be right Steve, maybe I'm clutching at straws, but I can't see why else Alanjp has had his calipers changed?

Certainly on the TTRS, when they changed the offside duct they also (someone on audi-sport.net has said) changed the brake pads - and that hasn't work 100%, so it looks like them trying something else?

It's certainly interesting...

Audi UK still aren't aware of any fix that has been issued. Just spoke with the lady who is dealing with my case, and she said any update would have come through on her desktop and as yet this hasn't happened. So it would seem the wait continues.....

What are the signs / issues for this being a problem?
my car cut out once while I was driving, but has run fine 100% of the rest of the time. I get a few black spatters up the wall of my garage from the exhaust occasionally, but I'm not sure if this is related....? I was told bout the recall by audi uk when I phoned after my car cut out.

just noticed - post #46... Go Valentino!!!!!

Keep me informed on this...

had brake squeals at the rears mostly..

Still early days, but so far the new brakes are nice and quiet ;-)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Contacted Audi Slough, said there's no official recall from their end for swapping the brakes in the UK.

Guess it could be a one-off for Germany? According to the dealer, it should be a global recall as opposed to just country specific.

Contacted Audi Slough, said there's no official recall from their end for swapping the brakes in the UK.

Guess it could be a one-off for Germany? According to the dealer, it should be a global recall as opposed to just country specific.

its simply been released in Germany first, trust me there's a fix as my cars in having it done

Reactions: Moschops
There is also a bulletin going round the dealerships workshops that a fix is to be rolled out.

There is also a bulletin going round the dealerships workshops that a fix is to be rolled out.

Just dropped my RS3 off to Guildford this morning to have my snagging list items sorted. I enquired about the brake fix and they were now aware it was soon to be officially released and told me they would put my name on the list. Looking at the history on this issue, "soon" could mean anything.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Trus but then there was no bulletin about it until the week before last so it's progress!