Brakes not as good...

William McGougan

Reaction score
Hi all, not been on here for a while, but I know you are a helpful bunch!

My car has had 2 faults at around the same time,

Firstly my DV has started fluttering constant, so I replaced with a new Rev G and it fixed for the whole of 2 days now back to flutter, I cant see any vac lines disconnected?

Secondly, my brakes have suddenly felt poor, as in I have to push harder now to get the car to stop, the brake booster vacume pipe/valve is connected, is there an issue with valves failing or could this be the brake booster pump?

Any assistance is appreciated, I don't have a lot of time with work being so busy to spend ages diagnosing myself, so any pointers would be great! Cheers

It would be virtually impossible for the Rev G diaphragm to split in only 2 days and but you need to check it again. If it is a K03 car the top bolt is tricky to access, it is possible you did not tighten it fully causing a leak?

With the brakes, is the fluid level low causing air to enter the system? Has the fluid been replaced as it should be changed every 2 years? The fluid is hygroscopic absorbing moisture this will lead to reduced braking efficiency. Seized callipers can cause you to exert more effort as more effort is needed to make them work.
A garage with an MOT facility should be able to check your brake efficiency.

Thanks for the reply, it's a ko4 car, S3 8p, it's definitely tight, I'm a mechanic lol, just not got time to check things, fluid is fine, but could probably do with changing tbh, no seized callipers that I'm aware of but I shall check, my thoughts initially were a vacuum pipe, bit I wouldn't know if any are common weak points

The two issues may be related with a vacuum leak causing the loss of servo vacuum and the issue with the DV. A smoke test may reveal the issue quicker than trying to track it down by inspection.

The two issues may be related with a vacuum leak causing the loss of servo vacuum and the issue with the DV. A smoke test may reveal the issue quicker than trying to track it down by inspection.
Yeah my thoughts are vacuum, I wondered if any common issues like pipes cracking or splitting that can't be seen with visual, I suppose a smoke test is the only viable option

Has the issue started since you replaced something or had some work done on your car (apart from the DV)? This might help you to look in a specific area.

Has the issue started since you replaced something or had some work done on your car (apart from the DV)? This might help you to look in a specific area.
No, I haven't replaced anything other than the DV, however I noticed the brakes started to feel different around the same time the DV started fluttering, which makes me think vacuum issue, just working so busy just now I haven't a lot of time to diagnose