Brand new car and BOSE has weedy bass

purplesquare

Thinking of a humorous user title ...
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first proper post in the audi-sport forums - I just became the proud owner of a new A4 TFSI S-Line Special Edition.

The car has BOSE fitted - I ordered it as an option because my previous BMW had the Harman Kardon upgrade, which sounded fantastic. However I'm *REALLY* disappointed with the BOSE system -especially since it cost so much as an option. :mad:

The system appears to have very weedy bass output, even with the bass slider set to really high. When I fade the speakers to the front or back the sound quality is all midrange and treble with very little bass. I've checked what I assume is the sub (located in the rear parcel shelf) and it is putting out some bass noise, but it just doesn't make itself felt, especially when sat in the front. :music:

Now, I'm not some huge-pumpin-bass-crazed youth, but I do like a quality sound system. Is there something wrong with my system d'you think or is it just a case of "they all do that, sir"? Are there any settings I might have missed? (I've got the Symphony Head Unit, if that makes any difference..!)

Help!?

Wlecome to the forum.

Sorry I don't have BOSE so can't really comment but I am constantly amazed that people fall into one of two groups.

1) People who love the BOSE and think it's brilliant.
2) People who hate it and think it's a waste of money.

I realise peoples perseption of 'good quality' sound will vary but how can you all be talking about the same system?

I have the standard audio from the RNS-e head unit and it's more than enough bass for me.

People do fall into 2 groups:
1. People who've never heard a good system
2. People who have heard a good system.

Bose is not a good system, it's adequate at best.

But what constitutes 'Good'?

As I said, my none BOSE system is, in my opinion, very good. And to address the original post, has plenty of bass available at all times. I wouldn't say I'm and 'Audio' person as such but if I had paid extra for the BOSE and it didn't produce any noticeable bass I would be taking it back to the dealers.

You are obviously very into your audio but that doesn't make the BOSE a bad system. It may not be as good as some, but I personally would say my non-BOSE is more than adequate for all but the most dedicated listener.

You didn't think to test drive the Bose upgrade before ordering it?

No, I didn't - I was relying on the all-round good reputation BOSE seemed to have, and that it would be similar in quality to my Harman Kardon in the Beemer.

if I had paid extra for the BOSE and it didn't produce any noticeable bass I would be taking it back to the dealers

I may well be ... :asskicking:

But anyway, this is getting slightly off the subject - I just wanted to see if anyone else with an A4 has BOSE fitted and thinks the bass is weedy? i.e. can you help me ascertain whether it's my car at fault or whether BOSE is -simply- crap?

I appreciate audio is subjective ... and people with BOSE in A3s seem to have a different opinion to those in A4s ...

I had the bose in my A3 and thought it was crap, luckily I didn't pay for it, it was already in the car.

Since then I have had my alpine head unit put back in, some new components in the front ( JL VR 6.5's) and faded the sound forward completley which made an awful lot of difference. I've also had the centre channel disconnected as interference was coming through it.......didn't even know there was a centre channel to start with and a 10" sub and JL A1200 put in the boot. The sub hasn't made as much difference as I thought it would, although it is better than without and it's only been in a few days and i've not had chance to fiddle with it yet.

I don't know what bose is like in other cars but I doubt i shall get a car with it again even a second hand one as it's simpler to sort a decent system without any bose in from the start

iv'e been driving my dads A4 at the min with BOSE in and its has bass but not loads, its a GOOD system but not brilliant as people state.

I don't have it in my current S3 as next week I'm having a decent install done and will post some info on when its done.

Listening to the normal system (mine with RNS-E headunit) compared to BOSE makes you realise the standard audio is not very good at all. As Andy states the BOSE is better but not much and for the same price you could get far better sound from a decent aftermarket setup.

marms said:
But what constitutes 'Good'?
You are obviously very into your audio but that doesn't make the BOSE a bad system.
I didn't say it was bad I said it was adequate.
You'll know a good system when you hear it and it isn't any standard system in an Audi. Check out the DynAudio system that's an option in the Volvo C70 and others, now that's a good system.

down to opinion, you need an andymac bose upgrade lol, it is a good system but all depends what you want to listen to, it has more bass than the standard system, each speaker has a seperate box to aid with bass noise, if your not happy with the bass then add a bass box in the boot, you dont need to be a boy racer to have one!!!!

if still not happy then i recommend taking the car back and ordering an A8 with bang and olufson sound system, that is definately a kicking system, i think it might even make andymac raise an eybrow lol.

but then make it drop due to the excessive price lol

Yes, sorry forgot about that particular £4.5k upgrade available in the A8. My point is that Audi aren't doing justice to their customers. You pay £25-30k for a car you expect more than just an adequate sound system. Why they continue to only partner with Bose is a mystery. Even a Bose home system is more renowned for it's technology than it's sound quality i.e. OK sound from very small devices, good sound for such a small device etc etc.
Even the Bose system in a Cayenne is average and that's a £70k machine.
They really need to wise up & work with a company that has some expertise in car audio and can provide it at reasonable money.
The DynAudio system in the Volvo's is about £700, that's a helluva lot of system for the money. A good system doesn't have to cost a 10th of the price of the car.
The andymac stealth sub upgrade is for the particularly poor A3 8L system only.

The bass from my Bose in the a3 is rubbish too, i've just bitten the bullet and bought a decent amp/sub/headunit.

The other speakers should be up the job of running Midrange/treble.

Don't have Bose in the car but find the Symphony 2 pretty OK. Personally I feel that spending a lot on car hi-fi is a waste in all but the most expensive cars as there's always a lot of noise in a car interior. Also having ridden a motorbike for years I can quite happily do without music as it can be distracting.

I do have a Bose Radio/CD at home which is OK but not worth £400. I also have a Tivoli Henry Kloss Model 1 radio which gives superb sound despite only being a mono receiver.

BTW, I think I read that the new A4 will have B&O audio as an option. I think Audi started with B&O on either the A8 or R8

Macduff said:
Personally I feel that spending a lot on car hi-fi is a waste in all but the most expensive cars as there's always a lot of noise in a car interior.

That's exactly why you need a decent system, the amount of time I spend in the car it's the only place I can really listen to what I want at the required volume (2 small kids etc), for me it's the perfect place to listen to decent sounds.

JamS3 said:
I don't have it in my current S3 as next week I'm having a decent install done and will post some info on when its done.
Did you get the installation done? I'm very interested in knowing what you've put in since I'm looking at upgrading mine too.