Break disk corrosion pre 18.5k miles

Jimmy88

Reaction score
I had the first major service on my A3 (2015 2.0 TDI 184 S Line) today on 18.5k miles. The Audi health check picked up corrosion on the outer edges of all 4 break disks and scoring across them (see pic), especially the rear disks. Was put down as an advisory on the report.

Now I can understand pads are more susceptible to driving style and might be in need of replacement by this stage but surely disks shouldn't be corroding this soon?

Do I have a leg to stand on under warranty? Any know of any defects with A3 breaks corroding sooner than expected? They quoted £760 for 4 discs and pads which I have passed on for now for a second opinion.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0787.PNG
    IMG_0787.PNG
    343.5 KB · Views: 190
Not really a leg to stand on.
They are made of iron, iron rusts.
Perfectly normal and probably nothing wrong with your brakes, just the dealer trying to have one's pants down.
Although they do look pretty worn to be honest, all brakes rust
Fret not

Reactions: phobos512
I had the first major service on my A3 (2015 2.0 TDI 184 S Line) today on 18.5k miles. The Audi health check picked up corrosion on the outer edges of all 4 break disks and scoring across them (see pic), especially the rear disks. Was put down as an advisory on the report.

Now I can understand pads are more susceptible to driving style and might be in need of replacement by this stage but surely disks shouldn't be corroding this soon?

Do I have a leg to stand on under warranty? Any know of any defects with A3 breaks corroding sooner than expected? They quoted £760 for 4 discs and pads which I have passed on for now for a second opinion.

Thanks
I had exactly this at 19k miles...getting rid now so I never did get around to looking into it. It does seem ridiculous for the mileage..

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Rob2k68
They don't look that bad. One can only assume that the OE product is not that great these days. To give you some idea of the cost at the other extreme, it cost me £160 to change all my discs and pads this summer (Pagid) DIY. Decent independent will charge around £400

Reactions: Rob2k68
Those discs are fine, dealers trying to have your pants down. Corrosion will happen no matter what, it doesn't effect the discs in anyway. Rear discs will typically last about 50,000 miles. When they start getting a lip on them then you know they are wearing.