Brilliant Black MY12 S3 - smears after waxing?

batch

Reaction score
Morning everyone!
I finally gave my car a decent clean yesterday, a bit overdue but the good weather brought out the petrolhead in me! Started by giving it a good clean with Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo, then went on to using Meguiar's cleaner wax (a fine polish) whilst the other half sealed the wheels using Poorboys and Meguiar's tyre gel. All fine so far; the cleaner wax definitely helped with swirls and water marks. With all this done, I then broke out my new bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, and applied a thin film over the entire car. It went on like a dream I have to say!
However when I came to polish it off, I really struggled on the roof and bonnet, and on the bonnet in particular I'm left with darker black smears on the surface. I'm no expert, but my theory is that I've a) Used too much on the large panels, b) the bonnet and roof were hot and this affected them, and c) as it was about 8pm, the cooling air has affected it too? I tried spray wax as I buffed to soften anything up but no luck. So, firstly, is this permanent damage or just excess residue, secondly, what does cause this, and thirdly can I get rid of it without loads of work? The patterns are only visible from certain angles; the rest of the car looks stunning!

Perhaps Juicy Jen can help me?!

P.S I know Meguiar's isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've always used it and I am not hugely anal about my cleaning/detailing!

Sorry you've not had any replies. Based on what you have said I would say a) and b) are most likely. I've only ever had trouble with waxes when they've been on too thick or on hot panels. Option c) the 8pm angle is only really a problem towards the start and the end of the year. This is when the dew point in the air comes into play and the wax won't cure properly or takes ages to cure. At this time of year you should be fine.

In terms of what to do next... Based on what kit you have, I'd wash the car again (or even just the panels you are not happy with) then go over them with the Meguiars cleaner wax. This looks to be what people call an AIO (All In One) in that it cleans, polishes and leaves a bit of protection behind. Once you have done that I would stop and see if the finish looks good i.e. none of the smears remain. If that seems to have fixed the problem I would be tempted to leave it 24 hours and then wash and apply the Ultimate Liquid Wax. The reason for the 24hr gap is that I would try and rule out any problems with the cleaner wax curing and the Ultimate Liquid Wax interfering with that process.

Don't panic though, it's hard to damage the paintwork by hand unless you put stuff on with a Brillo pad. So whatever is wrong will be fixable. :)

I've had similar problems on my misano red paint. I agree with the advice in one of the links above to give the car another buff over today with a fresh microfibre cloth, that's all that is often needed in my experience. If the haze/pattern really won't shift I tend to go back to the paint cleaner on the patterned area, this has worked to date on numerous cars.

I use AutoGlym HD Wax and I'm sure you've checked this but are your polishing off cloths clean - HD wax seems to really get stuck deep in the microfibre cloths and I find I'm using more cloths as a result. Like you I'm not an avid detailer I just like a clean and shiny machine. I've tried the more expensive stuff (Swissol) and to my eye there is no difference, I even went so far as to polish half a car in Swissol and half in HD Wax, no difference in effect to the eye, and the HD Wax side was easier to keep clean and seemed to last longer. I've also used the Meguiars 3 step kit in the past which seems equally as good. I like the 'visible' protection the HD wax gives, you can see the rain literally bouncing and running off the car and it's easy to get clean the flies off this time of year between waxing.

Another option is to try a quick detailer as whats happend is too much product in combination with the heat.

If your doing it again on a warm day then do only a few panels at a time then buff off and try to do out of direct sunlight if possible.

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm lad I haven't ruined the paint, I would re-polish and wax but suddenly remembered it's booked in for a full detail next week! Guess I jumped the gun a bit doing all the work but at least it's given me a chance to re-sharpen my skills before the car gets protected and enhanced professionally. Then will be glad to just keep on top of it using my products.
With regards to the Meg's stuff, I find it really good to be fair. The finish of the Ultimate Wax (everywhere except the bonnet and roof!) is amazing, especially on the black car!
thanks again all for your assistance...

Hello, thought I would add to this thread as I am experiencing the same issue I think (pic added, problem effects car all over and only visible at certain angles with sunlight on it). Wax used was Blackfire BlackICE. Last car I had was white so never noticed this problem. Also waxed when warm but not in direct sunlight. Have I put too much on or could this also be the cloths being clogged with wax ? Cheers, Dan
20210803 115318

Reactions: S32B
Is this the "blooming" issue that some people report with Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax on dark cars ?

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daniel43CR
C
Is this the "blooming" issue that some people report with Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax on dark cars ?

Could be. I have also noticed the rings of wax from the circular motion during application and also areas on the car (when viewed from upstairs window) that appear lighter and darker. Really difficult getting a good result on these black cars, may go back to a white or silver car to solve problem lol. Cheers, Dan.

C

Could be. I have also noticed the rings of wax from the circular motion during application and also areas on the car (when viewed from upstairs window) that appear lighter and darker. Really difficult getting a good result on these black cars, may go back to a white or silver car to solve problem lol. Cheers, Dan.
Perhaps go with a sealant rather than a wax ? Lots of choice out there and most are easy to use

Reactions: Daniel43CR
Well done for reviving a 9 year old thread :)
Still we have problems waxing lol. May go the sealant route in future. Heard Qtechniq C2V3 is quite good (although has to be used within 12 months of opening). Cheers, Dan