Broken crank pulley 3.0 tdi (Merry fecking Xmas)

christoph

Reaction score
Good morning. Well yesterday evening my pulley decided to give up and leave me stranded. I've got the car home and wondering what other parts should I consider replacing whilst it's apart? as don't fancy pulling the front end of car again at later date. I presume the whole front end including rads need to be fully removed? The cars done 137k now and not sure anything else has been done apart from maybe the belts at some point. Thanks

Anyone? Would like to get parts ordered and maybe fitted whilst still on holiday. Thanks Chris

You saying the pulley itself is broke or the belt?

Hope it is just the belt, it's a doddle, 4hrs on an S4.

The actual pulley itself, the rubber cushion has split from the inner part of the pulley and come off. So new pulley definitely needed. And I'm presuming to get the pulley undone and changed the front end will need to come off. Not sure on reliability of water pump etc which will be easier to access while doing the original job.

Well that sounds nasty, Taking the bumper off and pulling the rad forward to the service position may give you enough room, it's only about 4 extra inches to work in. If you can find a parts diagram of the front view of the engine that may be enough as you'll need to undo everything by feel. If you can't then the rad will have to come out. Wish you good luck pal.

You can do the pulley when it's in service position still tight to get to some of the bolts I replaced with new bolts and new washers as they have been upgraded if your up to it change the front snub nose bush aswell as your right next to it if it's looking worn

Reactions: Olympus593