Broken glove box

DND

Reaction score
Managed to do this yesterday. How can i go about fixing it? Can i simply swap the hinge, or will it be a case of swapping the whole box out? Bearing in mind, this is on an S3, so i'd want to keep the quattro silver badge etc.

This is a common issue on the A3. The root cause is a seized damper, which causes the plastic hinge to crack. Removing the pin is quite difficult and you may end up causing more damage instead of fixing it.

If you find a replacement glove box, it is possible to take your chrome trims and put them on the new box.

If I were you, I'd get a new damper and try to glue the hinge before shelling out for a new box. You can then move the new damper to the replacement box if gluing does not work.

I use a rather expensive 2 pack resin for these repairs, topfix, it would fix that easily, but you could add nails to support between the 2 parts then bond with resin or araldite.

I replaced just the door on mine, I'm sure I took some pics of how I did it. I'll have a look

To get to the hinge pin I used a Bosch multi-tool and cut away the plastic around the hinge but I only cut the plastic attached to the broken door... this way the hinge was accessible with pliers, pull them out and fit the new door:

Is the glovebox supposed to open super slow once you've released the catch?

No, it should be pretty easy, just slowed slightly by the damper. If it feels like it's seizing you should check the hinges for cracks.