Broken key. . . now immobilizer prevents 2007 Audi A3 from starting.

a.beam.reach

Reaction score
My key broke today and its the only one I have. I obviously will need a new key cut and programmed but the car is stuck a long way from the locksmith. The key was still able to be inserted in the ignition and I was able to barely grip the end with pliers to turn the ignition. Unfortunately, I didn't forward think to make sure the key fob with the rfid chip was near the ignition (it was on the passenger seat). Though the car started, it immediately shut down and "SAFE" was displayed near the odometer. I have tried starting it with the key fob near the ignition but the car does the same thing. I assume the immobilizer needs to be reset? How is that done? I have VagCom but the best I can tell is it is worthless for immobilizer related issues without the PIN which you have to get from the locksmith.

Thanks in advance for any help!
IMG 4273

Just get a new blade cut, thats all, the fob & immo will work fine once its correctly got a blade fitted & inserted into the ignition.

eBay has sellers that will cut you a new blade & post out, just need to send them a pic of your broken one so they can see the blade pattern.

Make sure you buy the right blade type on ebay, yours is the smaller type, they usually show pics of the key type in the listing anyway.

Just get a new blade cut, thats all, the fob & immo will work fine once its correctly got a blade fitted & inserted into the ignition.

eBay has sellers that will cut you a new blade & post out, just need to send them a pic of your broken one so they can see the blade pattern.

Make sure you buy the right blade type on ebay, yours is the smaller type, they usually show pics of the key type in the listing anyway.
I ordered a key up as you suggested. . . Thank you! BUT my car is stuck 20+ miles away and I'd like to try and get it back using the broken key if possible. Logically, it seems like it should work. The metal switch blade key portion still turns the ignition and I can get it started momentarily but the immobilizer prevents it from running more than a second. The rfid chip is still in the fob and I have tried starting the car with it at the steering column. I tried disconnecting the battery for 15 min. With the key in the ignition and the fob right at the steering column .. . just a turn to the "on" position prompted the "SAFE" indication (this 2007 Audi A3 does not have an immobilizer light). Of course I tried starting it too and it immediately shut down. I've tried this multiple times. Is there any other suggestions on resetting the system? I am convinced that the car should start with this method but the system is not resetting. I have an aftermarket stereo in the car. . . it seems I once read that can interfere with the immobilizer. Any other suggestions?

I have to admit I was skeptical . . . as it didn't make sense to me that I couldn't get the broken key to work the way I described. BUT, of course you were right. The new blade in the old fob worked great. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Abi