Broken wire in engine bay?

craigy

Reaction score
hey you lovely people

I made a discovery in my A3 2006 56 plate 2.0tdi

so a few days ago while changing my side light/w5w bulbs my grandfather pointed out this broken wire, i never noticed it before and from what i can tell its been broken for quite some time prior to my purchase of the car due to the inch of corroded wire under the insulation

its next to the left headlight i have googled and found no information on what it is for or what it connects to it almost looks like it's attached to the radiator but then i can't quite tell

I have managed to repair the cable but wondered what this cable is for as i scanned before and after the repair and had the same few error codes
Z35 aux heater
air quality sensor
single wire
radio (aftermarket)
so nothing worrisome

do any of you guys have a clue as to what its for?

your answers are very much appreciated

Attachments

• 162078014_712449962782592_5724703434026122026_n.jpg
    162078014_712449962782592_5724703434026122026_n.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 133
Did you clear the codes as sometimes they can be present for years and the actual faults have been fixed or have cleared themselves.?

That’s the connector for the bonnet open switch buddy I’m 99% sure that the switch is normally open and closes when the bonnets open.

It’s one of those that you wouldn’t notice till you either had an oil light on or wondered why the wipers were still going when the bonnet was opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you clear the codes as sometimes they can be present for years and the actual faults have been fixed or have cleared themselves.?

i cleared them beforehand just incase and had the same few errors,

That’s the connector for the bonnet open switch buddy I’m 99% sure that the switch is normally open and closes when the bonnets open.

It’s one of those that you wouldn’t notice till you either had an oil light on or wondered why the wipers were still going when the bonnet was opened.

if that's the case it's an odd location for the connector so far from the bonnet latch, but make sense since nothing appeared to be different after repairing the wires
i never even knew the wipers were disabled when the bonnets open so never thought to check that before and after fixing it

thanks for your help guys

i cleared them beforehand just incase and had the same few errors,

if that's the case it's an odd location for the connector so far from the bonnet latch, but make sense since nothing appeared to be different after repairing the wires
i never even knew the wipers were disabled when the bonnets open so never thought to check that before and after fixing it

thanks for your help guys

Anytime bud it’s easy to test if you want to be 100% open the bonnet and the dash should show it open. Disconnect the connector and it should show it’s closed.

Reactions: No more
Anytime bud it’s easy to test if you want to be 100% open the bonnet and the dash should show it open. Disconnect the connector and it should show it’s closed.

bit of a dumb moment but no warnings on the dash of it being open, but i now do wonder if it has ever showed that warning since i have had the engine running and bonnet open but did not notice a dash warning, i will check that before i leave for work in a few hours, warning for both doors and boot work,

so it could be a case of the wire not being the switch but something else, i will do more googling and see if i find anything