BT and RNS-E

sonny.

Reaction score
Apologies in advance, I've searched the forum but really not found anything specific.

I current have a concert head unit but would like to buy the RNS-E but not entirely convinced by the spec as I don't think I will use the navigation. I was hoping to get Bluetooth integrated in some way, does anyone have any recommendations. I've considered after market but worried about compatibility with steering controls etc.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciatsd.

Thanks

To RNS-E or not to RNS-E, that is a very polarising question :)

Short answer is yes, you can have BT with RNS-E, but it'll cost you. If you want OEM look then this would be you best option. Aftermarket units are full of features and do some very nice phone integration options as well as steering wheel controls.

Ask yourself what exactly do you want from your future head unit and that will help you pick the best option.

Some thoughts to get you started:

If OEM look is a must then RNSE is your best bet. There are some OEM-like units from China, which run Android OS and are full of very cool features if you are of a gadget freak type :)

Pretty much all aftermarket stereos will do BT hands free calls and music streaming.

More expensive units will do DAB radio and/or SatNav.

Some newer units will do Apple CarPlay or Android Auto phone integration, which allows you stereo to become an extension of your phone screen and give you your favourite music, GPS or other apps on a larger screen without the need for a phone mount to clutter the cars interior. Check out Pioneer units which seem to lead the field in this are at the moment.

Your reply epitomises why this forum is so good, thank you!

OEM look is what I am really after but not at greater cost. I am liking Pioneer for all of the features but it does concern me that things like Aux in and steering wheel controls won't work. Aux in not so much though tbh.

Will try and avoid Chinese units especially if its connected to my phone as they're probably data mining :)

Dynavin looks to be a good option but expensive at £600, I like the fact it's specifically for the A3.

I wouldn't write off Chinese units - they represent best value for money and have a very big modding community if you are into your gadgets:

Very OEM looking unit: http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/androi...o-gps-navigation-system-obd2-3g-wifi-dvr.html

I'm thinking of ditching my Pioneer unit for this: http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/univer...h-screen-3g-wifi-bluetooth-obd2-free-mic.html

As for Windows CE based units, like Dynavin, I wouldn't touch them as the OS is no longer supported and doesn't really have the application market like Google Play Store for Android, so adding feature in the future is next to impossible

check this video out for a review of one of the Pumkin units -

Thanks Leshkin, but confused about their store though as it displays everything in dollars, even though its .co.uk

Are they a known seller?

haha, yeah, there is a menu to switch to GBP at the top. You can buy the same units from amazon or ebay though. These are just a suggestion, these units are a case of you getting what you pay for when it comes to quality of materials and switches. Worth a look though :)

Failing that, a Pioneer AVIC-F77DAB is a mighty unit, but does cost around £800 on ebay from Germany. I'm looking at getting this, but struggling to justify the cost, when one of these cheap Android units will do all I want and more for under £300!

Ah must have missed that, getting tired at least that's my excuse!! Know what you mean about justifying the cost, those Android units do tick all of the boxes and at those prices its less guilt as I'm sure I should be preparing for Christmas instead lol.

Like the idea of the reverse camera too, bound to come across some issues when installing them though. Do you think you need to code with VCDS too once installed?

I have pretty much the same request. I like the look of the Android units, but it says it only fits A3's up to 2011. Problem is I have a 12 plate, but the interior in the pics look the same?