Building a 350HP S3

S3_XBT

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got a 2003 S3 with a BAM engine. It is completely standard apart from a K&N cone. I am thinking of building it to around 350HP but I would like to know what I would need part wise to achieve that power and run in reliably. I know the rods aren’t going to handle that power but I’m not sure about other parts. Could anyone tell me what power figures different parts are good for. Any links to parts I would need would be appreciated. And if anyone has a rough idea of what it would cost to build the S3 up to that power level. Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• 18F2605C-0468-498C-9A2E-15312C1E64AD.jpeg
    18F2605C-0468-498C-9A2E-15312C1E64AD.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 115
350bhp hybrid build would set you back around £6-8k

Check out Badger5 they’ve done both a hybrid build and a big turbo build for me.

Rods, valves, hybrid turbo AET-380 or similar, front mount intercooler and so on.

Be worth reading a few build threads to get more of an idea what I’m talking about. Welcome to read mine, plenty info there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S3_XBT
Noticed your forum name. A lot of the stuff Bartek sells is cheap Chinese stuff that you can get elsewhere cheaper if you want. As for the engine to get 350bhp from a BAM reliably you will needs rods, Big end bearings,exhaust valves , whilst the head is off I would get it skimmed and exhaust valve guides replaced. Change the cambelt and water pump whilst your there if they need doing.
A FMIC is needed along with larger injectors . A decat or sports cat is really needed to get the flow combined with a larger downpipe as the stock item is not good.
I would use a set of Elring head bolts and a stock Elring gasket set. The turbo will be the single most expensive item along with an exhaust manifold to match. The AET380 will goto 380bhp or closer to 400bhp if you really push them. There are other K04 hybrids some better than others in terms of quality and the amount of power they will make.
The stock fuel pump tends to be a bit weak especially after 20 years or so and with the extra flow required for the bigger injectors something like a Sytec is required really to be reliable. As for cost a lot depends on what you can do yourself. If you add up the cost of the various parts and stuff you need and factor in the cost of mapping it will be a lot less than 6-8K but you need to be able to do everything yourself. People like Badger 5 are very good at both builds and mapping.

Reactions: Farmor00, Ra2200 and S3_XBT
Hi mate and welcome to the forum.
I did a hybrid build and used the k04-380 hybrid turbo that @desertstorm mentioned and got 402hp from it.
This is what did for my build.
Rods,piston rings,oil pump, water pump,timing belt and tensioner pully,oil pick up pipe and new sump, supertec inlet valves,supertec exhaust valves,gold cat cam springs,20 new valve guides, dw fuel pump,610cc injectors, aem twin nozzle meth kit, na exhaust cam, arp headbolts and arp main studs,new thrust washers,big end bearings,
3" downpipe into a de-cat them 3" out the back to quad tips all controlled by ignitron ecu.
I didn't get the pistons changed as they are meant to be good for 500hp. I might have missed a thing or 2 of the list there but gives you a idea of what can be involved. I've probably did some extra stuff that probably wasn't needed for hybrid running but I wanted it to be healthy and as reliable as possible with these cars lol.
Good luck with ur build especially the way everything is going up in price makes part buying a bit more money.

Reactions: Farmor00 and S3_XBT
Noticed your forum name. A lot of the stuff Bartek sells is cheap Chinese stuff that you can get elsewhere cheaper if you want. As for the engine to get 350bhp from a BAM reliably you will needs rods, Big end bearings,exhaust valves , whilst the head is off I would get it skimmed and exhaust valve guides replaced. Change the cambelt and water pump whilst your there if they need doing.
A FMIC is needed along with larger injectors . A decat or sports cat is really needed to get the flow combined with a larger downpipe as the stock item is not good.
I would use a set of Elring head bolts and a stock Elring gasket set. The turbo will be the single most expensive item along with an exhaust manifold to match. The AET380 will goto 380bhp or closer to 400bhp if you really push them. There are other K04 hybrids some better than others in terms of quality and the amount of power they will make.
The stock fuel pump tends to be a bit weak especially after 20 years or so and with the extra flow required for the bigger injectors something like a Sytec is required really to be reliable. As for cost a lot depends on what you can do yourself. If you add up the cost of the various parts and stuff you need and factor in the cost of mapping it will be a lot less than 6-8K but you need to be able to do everything yourself. People like Badger 5 are very good at both builds and mapping.
My uncle has built plenty of engines in his life so I would have to buy the parts, he would build the engine at a lower than usual price, then have it tuned by Badger 5 as it seems they’re the people to go to with these engines.

I did a hybrid build and used the k04-380 hybrid turbo
I did a hybrid build and used the k04-380 hybrid turbo that @desertstorm mentioned and got 402hp from it.
This is what did for my build.
Rods,piston rings,oil pump, water pump,timing belt and tensioner pully,oil pick up pipe and new sump, supertec inlet valves,supertec exhaust valves,gold cat cam springs,20 new valve guides, dw fuel pump,610cc injectors, aem twin nozzle meth kit, na exhaust cam, arp headbolts and arp main studs,new thrust washers,big end bearings,
3" downpipe into a de-cat them 3" out the back to quad tips all controlled by ignitron ecu.
I didn't get the pistons changed as they are meant to be good for 500hp. I might have missed a thing or 2 of the list there but gives you a idea of what can be involved. I've probably did some extra stuff that probably wasn't needed for hybrid running but I wanted it to be healthy and as reliable as possible with these cars lol.
Good luck with ur build especially the way everything is going up in price makes part buying a bit more money.
Did you have it done bit by bit or did you get things done as you’ve gone along. What is your car pushing with all this work done and if you don’t mind sharing how much you’ve invested.

@S3_XBT got all the engine work done in one go then did the exhaust and then the k04-380 hybrid turbo package,injectors. It then went to Bill at badger 5 and got the meth kit, ignitron,na cams and then mapped. Just over 400hp.
I've never counted the bills up but I'd say at a guess 10k.

Reactions: Sandra