Burning oil and spark plug colour.

furby

Reaction score
Just trying to track down why my cars burning oil.
I thought I might as well change the plugs. Do they look alright? Seems a bit too much on the white powder side.
They have done 26k so I got some new ones anyway.
I noticed the second spark plug had some oil around the thread. And looking down the hole number one has a slightly moist piston head. The other three seem dry and black.

Any ideas. I've changed the rocker cover gasket so no not leaking from that end.
My car is a 2001 1.8T 150bhp
Any help thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20211016_180944332.jpg
    PXL_20211016_180944332.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Just trying to track down why my cars burning oil.
I thought I might as well change the plugs. Do they look alright? Seems a bit too much on the white powder side.
They have done 26k so I got some new ones anyway.
I noticed the second spark plug had some oil around the thread. And looking down the hole number one has a slightly moist piston head. The other three seem dry and black.

Any ideas. I've changed the rocker cover gasket so no not leaking from that end.

Any help thanks.
Leaking half moon and rocker gasket.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

how much oil are you loosing and is it kicking out blue smoke?, also what grade oil are you running?, theres a few more questions i could ask but without a bit more info its hard to really be more specific.
CHRA's tend to be good for around 100k, valve stem oil seals are a touchy subject but usually tend to be either good or bad and head gaskets are pretty good unless your ragging the tits out of the car [ or previous owner did ] plug wise oil on the upper of it is most prob a leaking cam cover gasket, but its not usual for oil to travel down thro torqued plugs.

Reactions: MPH
It's using about 1 litre after 350 miles. I'm using 5w 40 TPS quantum.
Only really looses oil with town driving. I've done long motor way journey to Scotland and back and it used no oil. Can't say I've seen blue smoke at idle but when I boot it I can see smoke in my mirror at night with another car driving behind me in there head lights.
Rocker cover gasket replaced two years ago.

sounds a little turbo to me, mine has gone the same and i have done valve stem oil seals, lapped valves, new head and rocker gasket, new rings and a hone. [pretty much full engine rebuild at the start of covid ]
the rocker cover really isnt going to cause you to burn off oil, leak yeah, smoke if its getting onto the hotside defo. the cars will kick out a little smoke under nightdrive conditions for sure, every car i have does if i give it a bit :)

my black ones symptoms are only there once the car has warmed up and the oils thinned, and if i overrun she does kick out a good puff of smoke. i have ruled out head damage with a pressure test and have done a breath test, so other than the turbo i cant see mine being anything else. CHRA is about 260 off badger last i looked so thats going to be my route.

are you running an upgraded intake pipe? if so, check inside it and see if theres oil at the bottom where it connects to the intake on the turbo, as this is what mine has.
also, mine doesnt kick out smoke at idle, its usually under boost conditions, and long runs on the motorway tend not to be as aggressive as little town runs ;)

My car used to smoke on start up/idle done about 3 oil changes and cleaned pick up pipe and new sump now it doesn’t? The telling point was the summer as It still did this in warm weather now nothing, strange or not so strange ? I’ve just bought a second hand k04 and had rebuilt by decimal tenths that was 250 plus postage should do me for the time being

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car is standard. I will have a look at the intercooler. Going to get a compression test done see if that brings up anything