Buying 3.2 Quattro

sam4191

If In doubt, Flat out!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking at a 2008 3.2 manual on Friday, for the 2nd time. Basically, is there anything specific to look for on these cars? On 1st look, all looks nice and very tidy for the age. Are the chain tensioners a massive issue on these, like they seem to be on the V8s? The car has covered 100k miles. There was a small rattle on cold start up for a second or so. Unsure as to how long it had been stood since last start (20 miles since May). Every start after that was quiet. Information seems to be as scarce as the cars themselves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had a 2009 3.2 Avant. Excellent car - wish I never sold it!
They do rattle for a second if left overnight - if it doesn't stop rattling that's when you need to worry. Solid lumps, not much to look out for.
With 100k on the clock, check clutch. That's about it. Oh, and find a petrol station with loyalty points - you'll be there quite often!

Reactions: lowlife89 and DieselJake
I started off looking/aiming at buying a 3.2 quattro - then ended up with an S4, seriously, the standard stuff that you get with an S4 is good, then there is the better potential fuel economy and than the pleasure of having a properly kitted out/set car for me that was win, win,win! I was coming from a 2.8V6 4Motion Passat B5.

Thanks for the response guys, well used to the petrol station stops with the S3. Also had a 2.4 A4 years ago - loved that car, so hoping to find the same again.
We were looking to get an S5 V8, but we were at the bottom end of the market (up to £10k), also the tax price angers me. An S4 would be nice, but the £10k won't stretch that far just yet. Also, the 3.2 tuning potential isn't there, so no temptation to spend money on anything other than cosmetics and sound (again, have the S3 for 'performance').

I've just bought a 2008 3.2 Quattro, last week, after my A8 was squashed by an arctic earlier this month.

Seems Ok, I've booked it into my local Audi centre for fluids and general check over.

Peformance seems best described as brisk, rather than out-right fast.

I'm enjoying it so far and find it very reasonble on fuel.
I've done one Motorway journey so far and the car indicated 46mpg.
I was doing 60 though.

I've ordered a SatNav update disc from the bay, but I've yet to receive it.

I've been wondering about tuning. I'd like slightly more sound from the exhaust, but I'm unsure what I should be looking to do.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree - not the fastest car in the world, but more than enough for the wifes needs...

I got very excited when ours tried to tell us that on a motorway run, it was getting 42mpg at 70mph. After working it out when i filled back up, it was actually 'only' 26mpg. Much more realistic...

I bought a cheap disc on the bay and it works fine. Had to trick the DVD player to open though, using VCDS.

I removed the bottom of the airbox (leaving air filter attached} to see what it sounded like with a K&N filter and it sounds much meatier. Only on throttle though, of course.

Going to change the upper chain tensioners soon though, as get an occasional rattle on cold start up.

I thought that these crafty/stupid guys in USA had a supercharger kit for the older 2.8V6, so still possibilities to scatter too much cash on one for your 3.2v6?

Fitted an itg filter today. Can't discern any noticeable difference in sound.
Seems slightly keener to accelerate. However, I expect that's as much to do with replacing a muc-caked old paper filter, with a new filter, regardless of the brand of filter.
:wink: