Buying a new or ex demo RS3? Advice appreciated

Schlaag

Bwah
Reaction score
Hi all.

We are looking to buy an RS3 to keep for 2 to 3 years before changing. We have been looking at the audi used stock lists from around 75miles radius of our postcode... most of the ones we like the look of (we are strict on colour and some options) are around the £45-48k mark with around 6k miles and mid 2015 reg dates...

We would be using the audi PCP scheme. Trading in our current 2011 S3 and putting down a deposit of around 3k I would say. 10k miles PA would be our usage.

My question is, upon looking at various ex demo / fleet cars at audi (S3 Saloons etc) they (Audi) were very tight on discounting the advertised price.

Would we be better to order a brand new build? I've heard discounts can be up to 13% of the RRP price (once i've gone through the online car builder)

I guess the benefits of buying one already registered and on the fleet is it's an instant buy almost and we drive it away then, rather than wait for a car to be built. However at least we can tailor our car to our liking and if the price diff on monthly repayment isn't much different, its kind of a no brainer....

I apologise if it seems such a silly discussion point, but this would effectively be our first ever brand new car purchase. We also don't want to get massively spanked on depreciation if possible!

thank you

Hihi

Going through the same process myself - not bought new via PCP before.

In the end my decision is to go new in some form (against all instincts), because the 5.9% APR on new massively beats the 9.9% (soon to rise to more i think) on used cars - and as you say there's not much discount to be had on the used demos.

I managed £2k off the used demo locally to me - but its lacking some critical options i think all RS3's should have that i cant change without going aftermarket.

Equally annoyingly is the lead time on ordering new - so you're stuck with finding the best possible new car already ordered - and hoping dates line up that you can get it when you want it - but still adjust the spec... (or find one that's specced as you want it.. but that's not easy).

The best discount i've seen off new is around £1500

Don't forget - options dont increase the GMFV so the more you add, the more you pay for - which is presumably why so many new ones on order are specced so weirdly, or lacking key options... to keep the PCP cost down.

Reactions: Schlaag
My dealer has always said "never buy an ex demo performance car". Which kind of makes sense, people hammer them from cold starts, launched every day etc... You get the idea. Just generally not well looked after. There are some sweet Audi PCP deals at the moment. If I was in your situation and the new PCP didn't turn out much more I know I'd definitely be going for new. More so for the peace of mind.

I took this on a test drive, the week it arrived:

The salesman wanted a go before me :racer: needless to say there was 215 miles on the clock and he was haring around roundabouts sideways. He then told me one of the rear alloys had already been replaced due to an over excited salesman pushing it a bit too hard.

I just couldn't buy a car like that personally

Reactions: tektrob and Schlaag
thing is demo cars are driven hard! i was offered one also but the thing is theyve been driven hard before run in i.e. before 1000 miles and they are experimented on by buyers and salesmen. i personally would pay more for a new one.

Try car wow website put in RS3 and all the extras you want and let different audi give you different prices. I done it last night had one offer back but was only with a £300 discount.
If I done my S3 this way I would have had a lot more extrasthan what I have and about £50 cheaper per month

I'm not totally against ex-demo but it would need to be heavily discounted...

Wouldn't touch a ex demo with a barge pole, but then I keep my cars for around five years or more.
What is the discount , I would want thirty per cent to take a demo , and even then I would not do it....

There are some unregistered new RS3 out in the network but dealers are not allowed to advertise them, I know of a basic Nardo with Nav plus a high spec (£48K) Daytona that are available now and Feb.

If interested drop me a PM and I'll give you the dealer details..

Wouldn't bother me. They're designed to be driven and of course come with a warranty, so what's the problem.

However you'll get a better interest rate on a new car.

Reactions: oc-quattro
You will get a better deal ordering new without a doubt. Both in terms of discount and interest rate.

As to buying an ex demo, if you are only keeping the car 3yrs and it's warrantied, then what's the problem if it's had a hard life from customers ragging the nuts off it? Absolutely none whatsoever.

It's my own opinion which many other people share, that ex demo cars are quicker and more efficient due to the hard run in period that they've had. Line 2 new RS3's up side by side, 1 that is an ex demo car that's had a hard run in period and another that has sat at 3000rpm for its first 1000m, which car do you think will perform better?
I would put my house on it that the ex demo car will be quicker and more fuel efficient. There are thousands of articles I can link you all too with evidence that engines should be run in hard, not gently, for optimum performance.

Back to original question, you should enquire to see if there are any new RS3's in the country that are sitting unregistered/cancelled orders. There used to be an Audi on demand website that showed all available UK unregistered stock to the public but it looks like its only a dealership tool now :(

I would easily buy an ex demo A3, A4, etc....

But an RS3??? Absolutely no way.

I know the Nardo grey one at Aberdeen Audi was recently sold with 5000 miles on it.

Several members on here drove it and none of us were holding back.

Yes, the car is designed to take some punishment, but its the redlining from cold that will seriously shorten its life....

That car sold at near to brand new money....£44k I seem to remember...I wouldnt have given them £35k for it, not after the 5000 miles it had done....

Some of these cars have been on audi showcase days too and ragged round track - and I mean seriously ragged round track all day long !

Then factor in all the test drives etc all when the car is brand new - I would not want one of these ex-demos either no way !

Just call around. I called 22 dealers to find a new un reg car in the perfect spec for me.

I must have been offered about 20 (Most were black). Some are daft specs but they may be perfect for you.

Hull, York, Doncaster, Lincoln, Birmingham, Milton Keynes all have them available on site and unregistered. Don't let a dealer tell you there isn't any!

Pick the phone up. I wouldn't want to pay more than £40k for a 15 reg one.

Last edited:
Well the deal has been done and I think I had a little bit of a result...

Rang a dealer off the cuff about a second hand (dealer fleet/demo I assume) well specced 300 mile RS3 that just cropped up on their website. As it turns out it's done 100 miles and was not even dealer registered... I put a hold on that and will be its first owner. Classed as a new car so I get the more favourable PCP rate and £6k off the price it was at list (with options)

anyway, holding deposit swiftly placed!

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Terminator x and Snake Pliskin
You will find that most of the ones on the used car tracker, are actually unregistered. Ours was and was not a demo, and had only done 50 miles. but the used car tracker had a reg, said it had done 5000 miles and it was registered in September, when we enquired about it, it was in the showroom, and we were told it has not been registered and is brand new. Id check with the dealers, I'll bet they aren't demo's

I think this may be a 'workaround' as the dealers are not supposed to advertise unregistered cars, I suspect there may be quite a few around as a lot of dealers will have ordered when first released in anticipation of high demand.

If you don't mind confirming what was the RRP, in other words what % does the £6k off represent ?

Glad you got sorted

yes that's basically what the dealer told us, he said as unregistered to advertise it they have to put something down so it looks like a used car, otherwise they cannot advertise.

This makes discounts look promising without the usual on back order, no need to discount excuse.

Still not seen one on the road since release so exclusivity guaranteed for a short while at least :)

I think this may be a 'workaround' as the dealers are not supposed to advertise unregistered cars, I suspect there may be quite a few around as a lot of dealers will have ordered when first released in anticipation of high demand.

If you don't mind confirming what was the RRP, in other words what % does the £6k off represent ?

Glad you got sorted

Yep I would agree to an extent. Since looking and dealing with dealerships I've been trying to work my head around all sorts of possible sales techniques these guys use! Making myself ultra suspicious and para in the process!

RRP was £49k

I must admit I've been like a great big kid searching and negotiating this car. I can't wait to go and collect it.

I hope it lives up to my expectations. Our current car is a low miler 2011 S3 black ed.... and to be honest... I'm very underwhelmed by it hence why we've only had it a year. Onwards and upwards!

What Spec is it? £49k is at top end so it must have a few toys!

TX.

Yep I would agree to an extent. Since looking and dealing with dealerships I've been trying to work my head around all sorts of possible sales techniques these guys use! Making myself ultra suspicious and para in the process!

RRP was £49k

I must admit I've been like a great big kid searching and negotiating this car. I can't wait to go and collect it.

I hope it lives up to my expectations. Our current car is a low miler 2011 S3 black ed.... and to be honest... I'm very underwhelmed by it hence why we've only had it a year. Onwards and upwards!
RS3 is a totally different car so sure you will be happier.
You did well and gives me something to aim for when mines ready for final negotiation.

My dealer has always said "never buy an ex demo performance car". Which kind of makes sense, people hammer them from cold starts, launched every day etc... You get the idea. Just generally not well looked after. There are some sweet Audi PCP deals at the moment. If I was in your situation and the new PCP didn't turn out much more I know I'd definitely be going for new. More so for the peace of mind.

I took this on a test drive, the week it arrived:

The salesman wanted a go before me :racer: needless to say there was 215 miles on the clock and he was haring around roundabouts sideways. He then told me one of the rear alloys had already been replaced due to an over excited salesman pushing it a bit too hard.

I just couldn't buy a car like that personally

Cardiff Audi?