Buying Advice

Hertsman

Reaction score
Owned back to back Audi A3 Quattro and was once regular member of the A3 forum under another name and then recently under this name as decided between A3 Quattro, S3 or a Golf R and it was mainly price i could get at the time that swayed me to the Golf R, which have had 18 months now and the only thing can say in a negative is turning circle is a little compromised on the 19" Pretoria, but at now 14,000 miles can just say its been the most pleasurable of miles, its an amazing piece of kit.

However, with the R being back to back Golfs, the leaning is back to Audi for my next one, and likely a Nano Black Edition Quattro 1.8 TFSi which is a sacrifice in horses and a little noise but times I really get to experience that are not as often as like, so like said, leaning back to decent performance and greater cabin experience.

The long lead was mainly to demonstrate my Audi and VAG in general knowledge so any response to my request from assistance can be tailored accordingly

So why on the A1 forum then? Well, my wife's mini has got to an age where it was going to cost more money than value, and we have already webuyanycar it and for a reasonable figure, (about £300 less than I was going to advertise from research of years and models) and so we in the market for a used A1 and as much as understand much of what see on model there is still some questions that have.

We also looked at VW Polo, and even in best specification, they are quite bland and was dismissed quite quickly, and we really dislike the new minis, as surely thats some irony, as they look like have had an airline blown into the bodywork, and for me the cabin is close, oppressive even, and gimmicky, and even wife, (who likes cars but not ever goes into the details like we all do) said straight away, its got to be the A1 as its right size, has some class, and lines and cabin are clean, it looks light and sleek.

There is also vested interest, she has got used to the R and DSG and she was stealing it most days as Mini sat there unloved, and I want my R back! The R also has DCC so having to reset her expectations,

Ok this is what looking for and in no hurry at all, will wait patiently on spec closest to what seeking, and then go in firm on it,

1. 2014 onward A1 SLine 1.4 TFSi either 3 door or sport back (budget £13-14,000)
  2. Between 20,000 > 30, 000 miles
  3. Glacier White or Misano Red with black roofs or with Panoramic Roof (though these seem rare and patience be needed to source one)
  4. STronic preferred but if car right not 100% essential
  5. Heated seats, (seem rare) comfort pack

The questions are

1. Made the mistake once of not deleting the SLine suspension, and it seems most of the SLine A1 have this optioned, unless its just not being advertised correctly and you just have to ask. So firstly, is the SLine suspension as firm as remember, which was on 8P or has the new MQB frame softened it? and how likely is it to source a deleted suspension?
  2. Looking at the 10 spoke alloy, 17" but again, is that asking for more ride issue
  3. Is there hill hold with the STronic?
  4. Folding mirrors? are they really an option? or standard on SLine?
  5. Is Sat Nav standard on SLine (just curious as not on must list)
  6. Are other versions lesser than SLine worth looking at on the A1, as see lots of Sport. Wife wants that feeling of it being a little special, hence looking at SLine, but open to comment
  7. Not entirely sure of the model changes, for face-lifts etc. So i say looking at 2014, but would a 2015 be the next version? So some clarity on that would be appreciated, some recommendations,
  8. Engines, and like said she used to the R now, so nippy is a must in STronic, and is the 125 BHP unit a good match with the STronic, being a lighter car? Best choice is at this PS. so what is the thoughts on engines and recommendations?
  9. Prefer the main dealer route, as want the 12 months warranty, unless see one with extended warranty purchased, but not necessarily looking at Audi dealers, so searching Auto Trader, Piston Heads and main dealers,
  10. Is there any must haves that i have missed? and any general considerations overlooked,
Realise there is some repeat for regular forum goers, and as much as have searched its nice to have comments in one place specifically to assist, and as I am coming back to Audi and this forum now over coming months (will similarly be doing same to A3 guys and girls) a warm welcome back would be appreciated in form of some helpful A1 answers as my knowledge is just broad and need further education to enable me to make the right decisions

Thanks in advance. .

Last edited:
  1. 2014 onward A1 SLine 1.4 TFSi either 3 door or sport back (budget £13-14,000)
  2. Between 20,000 > 30, 000 miles
  3. Glacier White or Misano Red with black roofs or with Panoramic Roof (though these seem rare and patience be needed to source one)
  4. STronic preferred but if car right not 100% essential
  5. Heated seats, (seem rare) comfort pack
Heated seats are surprisingly rare.

1. Made the mistake once of not deleting the SLine suspension, and it seems most of the SLine A1 have this optioned, unless its just not being advertised correctly and you just have to ask. So firstly, is the SLine suspension as firm as remember, which was on 8P or has the new MQB frame softened it? and how likely is it to source a deleted suspension?
  2. Looking at the 10 spoke alloy, 17" but again, is that asking for more ride issue
  3. Is there hill hold with the STronic?
  4. Folding mirrors? are they really an option? or standard on SLine?
  5. Is Sat Nav standard on SLine (just curious as not on must list)
  6. Are other versions lesser than SLine worth looking at on the A1, as see lots of Sport. Wife wants that feeling of it being a little special, hence looking at SLine, but open to comment
  7. Not entirely sure of the model changes, for face-lifts etc. So i say looking at 2014, but would a 2015 be the next version? So some clarity on that would be appreciated, some recommendations,
  8. Engines, and like said she used to the R now, so nippy is a must in STronic, and is the 125 BHP unit a good match with the STronic, being a lighter car? Best choice is at this PS. so what is the thoughts on engines and recommendations?
  9. Prefer the main dealer route, as want the 12 months warranty, unless see one with extended warranty purchased, but not necessarily looking at Audi dealers, so searching Auto Trader, Piston Heads and main dealers,
  10. Is there any must haves that i have missed? and any general considerations overlooked,
1. We have a 2010 and 2013 S line on 18" wheels and S line suspension. The 2010 car has a harsher ride than the 2013 car. Pre facelift S-line cars could opt to have the Sport suspension or Dynamic suspension. Post facelift also had the option of sports with adjustable dampers (as per S1)

2. Running on 17s will improve the ride. We ran the 2010 car for a week on 17s and the ride was much better. I just love the 7 twin spoke 18s!

3.Hill hold assist is standard with S tronic, option on manuals. This is just the 5 second hold (not automatic handbrake as on other Audis)

4. Folding mirrors were an option on all cars, never standard. Note that by default they do not fold on lock (this can be fixed by VCDS)

5. Sat Nav was an option (both SD and Tech pack HDD version)

6. Personal choice. I like the S line body kit. You also have Black edition option which includes Xenons

7. Yes facelift was early 2015 (Feb/March deliveries?)

8. 140PS or 150PS CoD engine would be my suggestion. Chalk and cheese compared to the 125 (we have 125 in 2010, 140 in 2013). CoD significnatly better economy, lower CO2 and much quicker. 125 is fine but needs working.

9. You can extend the warranty of a private car using https://insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty . This gives equivalent cover to buying from Audi. We did this with both our A1s

10. In a very approximate order:
- heated seats
- ECC (climate)
- Xenon lights
- Tyre pressure loss system
- tech pack
- comfort pack (cruise/rear sensors/auto dimming mirror/light & rain sensors)
- Advance key
- Parking plus (adds front sensors)
- BOSE (at cost of space in boot)
- folding mirrors
- leather / sports seats
- sunroof

Note that DAB went missing around 2013/14 due to shortage of units so some cars have it some don't. Our 2013 car had it retro-fitted by the dealer.

Also note that a lot of cars were bought with 5 year service pack (both ours had this but we had to ask Audi Finance to move the policy over).

Hi,

Now on my 4th A1 having gone from 3 door Sport, S-line, Black Edition and now a Sportback Black Edition. All with the dsg gearbox and always had the auto climate control as this I find much easier to control and looks good as well. Sat nav was an option until late 2017 when it became standard. If the car your looking at has two SD slots then the dealer can activate sat nav - stupid amount (£500) so could be a negotiating point.

I would look for a face lifted A1 with the CoD engine as I find that engine is more economical than the 125 model. A Black Edition is very good value as it includes Xenons, climate, privacy glass and 18” wheels that I will admit give a harsh ride, but look great. The S line would be my next recommendation.

I would look for the comfort pack what ever version you go for as this gives you light and rain sensors, cruise, rear parking sensors and auto dimming mirror. Folding mirrors are useful as this includes dip on reverse, but that can be done using VCDS.

As mentioned check if the car has a service plan, although Audi have been offering two free services if you finance the car. And remember you can take out the finance to get any offers such as service plans or finance contribution, and then withdraw from the deal within 14 days (this isn't the same as settling the agreement), and you only pay a few pounds in interest. Don’t mention this to the dealer as the dealership won’t get the commission on the finance.

Extended warranty though Audi is expensive, but it does take away any worry if things go wrong.

And as ever, please avoid the dealer options of gap, paint protection, Smart Cover and wheel and tyre cover. These usually sneak in the quote, especially when finance is involved as the extra for these in the monthly payments looks minimal over 3 years, but with interest can cost up to £2000!

Good luck.

Thank you both, avidly read and all taken on board.

We would like to spend £13,000, and have a maximum of £14,000 if car right, and we will stick to that as it never ends well when start chasing the next best thing, and then find later on overstretched in doing so. Its cash purchase, no intention of financing and though its possible to get some servicing thrown in by finance and using the 14 day opt out, to be honest have enough busyness in my days to try and keep this as simple and as clean as is possible

Have followed up on you comments, and the COD is obviously the sweet spot of choice for the engine (confusingly seen some 140 BHP on Audi Main Dealer adverts stating COD, which cannot be right, can it?)

However it seems the late 64 onward 150 BHP engines do not fit our budget and we likely having to look at the 62/63 plate options. So dts 439 you basically have the car we seeking, a 63 plate, 140 BHP Sline on 18" so a short and sharp review would be nice, not so much about the interior and style as understand all of that, but the living with, how drives? acceleration, handling, ride and is the 140 BHP COD?

Very reluctant to go for the 125 BHP as we do want something with a bit of kick, so as you have the 140 BHP also, how decent is it over the 125? we would even consider the 185 BHP engine, which know nothing about, so again, the opinion.

Personally drive an R, so obviously economy and sensibility not highest on mine/our list, so if running cost go up a little by car tax and a few pence a mile its not something we worry about, especially as mileage be about 5,000 per year, as the main car, the R is the workhorse of the family.

have been searching for deselected suspension, and simply cannot see it advertised, all cars have S Line Suspension with a tick next to it. Cannot believe everyone just ticked the S Line suspension option? So maybe the dealers just throw out standard adverts and you have to ask if interested? Is there anyway of checking from registration,

Search is narrowed as it has to be S Line or Black addition, and we would love the 18" wheels, but ride is scaring me if honest, as my first A3 Quattro was S SLine suspension and ride beat me in end, and went all DCC when got myself a GTi and now the R. Wife seems less bothered, and she be driving the A1, she more interested in how car looks, she wants some wow, but if living with a ridiculously hard ride it does wear on you.

Wife only essential request is the STronic as she loves my R DSG, but for me its 140 or the 185 BHP that are must if have this gearbox,

Panoramic is top of the nice to have but not essential the the black roof, as both give that nice contrast, and its down to 3 colours, Glacier White, Misano Red or outside of them, the Daytona grey,

Heated seats, Parking sensors, preferably plus, and climate top the wish list, though as stated heated seats are surprisingly rare, the roof is more available!

So as always, not helping selves as we narrowed the search down quite a bit on budget, mileage and specification, so looks like going to have to be really patient.

Wanted to purchase from a main dealer for the warranty, but having looked at extended quote on a 63 plate and it was circa £400 for all component, and £300 non component, and that stayed consistent up to 70, 000 miles where it went up to £500 - So basically warranty is worth £400, and so if find something significantly cheaper from another dealer, as long as have full Audi history, you can add extended warranty (though it actually does not state that as a term of condition) But with a sub 30,000 mile car extending seems straightforward, and if say get just 6 months from somewhere else, i can extend as soon as that expired - Named cover seems sufficient actually, as mainly STronic want to cover most, or is it just worth paying the full amount and leaving nothing to chance?

Thanks for all the advice, as based on this information, search profile has defintely changed from when first looked and likely saved us from maybe getting something nice looking but compromised more than would have hope on drive and performance.

Have followed up on you comments, and the COD is obviously the sweet spot of choice for the engine (confusingly seen some 140 BHP on Audi Main Dealer adverts stating COD, which cannot be right, can it?)

Yes 140PS was the original COD engine and was initially launched as a Sportback (in that gold colour) before the 3 door got it. When the facelift model came in it was re-rated to 150PS (torque unchanged at 250Nm). Yop speed increased from 132 to 134mph, 0-62 reduced from 7.9 to 7.8 0-62. and added 10kg. Official economy figures including CO2 were very, very slightly worse.

However it seems the late 64 onward 150 BHP engines do not fit our budget and we likely having to look at the 62/63 plate options. So dts 439 you basically have the car we seeking, a 63 plate, 140 BHP Sline on 18" so a short and sharp review would be nice, not so much about the interior and style as understand all of that, but the living with, how drives? acceleration, handling, ride and is the 140 BHP COD?

Very reluctant to go for the 125 BHP as we do want something with a bit of kick, so as you have the 140 BHP also, how decent is it over the 125? we would even consider the 185 BHP engine, which know nothing about, so again, the opinion.

Yes the 140 is COD (and note its PS, so 138 bhp). Our 140 Black edition feels much quicker and also tighter over the 125 S line we have. It rides better for some reason even though it has same size wheels. so perhaps they adjusted it over the years. Handling seems the same, brakes seem slightly better.
I've never driven the 185PS car and we ruled it out for CO2 reasons (its a company car).

..have been searching for deselected suspension, and simply cannot see it advertised, all cars have S Line Suspension with a tick next to it. Cannot believe everyone just ticked the S Line suspension option? So maybe the dealers just throw out standard adverts and you have to ask if interested? Is there anyway of checking from registration

S line suspension was the default option on S line/Black Edition. You had to choose another option to get Sport or Dynamic suspension (PDA / UC0 in brochure). The option codes should be available to a dealer and you can also phone up Audi customer services to get the spec of a car (might be chargeable now).

So as always, not helping selves as we narrowed the search down quite a bit on budget, mileage and specification, so looks like going to have to be really patient.
I setup a very specific Auto Trader search which got us our Red 2013 Black Edition. Took a long time...

Wanted to purchase from a main dealer for the warranty, but having looked at extended quote on a 63 plate and it was circa £400 for all component, and £300 non component, and that stayed consistent up to 70, 000 miles where it went up to £500 - So basically warranty is worth £400, and so if find something significantly cheaper from another dealer, as long as have full Audi history, you can add extended warranty (though it actually does not state that as a term of condition) But with a sub 30,000 mile car extending seems straightforward, and if say get just 6 months from somewhere else, i can extend as soon as that expired - Named cover seems sufficient actually, as mainly STronic want to cover most, or is it just worth paying the full amount and leaving nothing to chance?
Personally I'd want to run an S tronic with a warranty, more for peace of mind. We paid £350 for the Black edition warranty his year which I thought was OK.

Good luck with the search

Yes 140PS was the original COD engine and was initially launched as a Sportback (in that gold colour) before the 3 door got it. When the facelift model came in it was re-rated to 150PS (torque unchanged at 250Nm). Yop speed increased from 132 to 134mph, 0-62 reduced from 7.9 to 7.8 0-62. and added 10kg. Official economy figures including CO2 were very, very slightly worse.

Yes the 140 is COD (and note its PS, so 138 bhp). Our 140 Black edition feels much quicker and also tighter over the 125 S line we have. It rides better for some reason even though it has same size wheels. so perhaps they adjusted it over the years. Handling seems the same, brakes seem slightly better.
I've never driven the 185PS car and we ruled it out for CO2 reasons (its a company car).

S line suspension was the default option on S line/Black Edition. You had to choose another option to get Sport or Dynamic suspension (PDA / UC0 in brochure). The option codes should be available to a dealer and you can also phone up Audi customer services to get the spec of a car (might be chargeable now).

I setup a very specific Auto Trader search which got us our Red 2013 Black Edition. Took a long time...

Personally I'd want to run an S tronic with a warranty, more for peace of mind. We paid £350 for the Black edition warranty his year which I thought was OK.

Good luck with the search

With your assurance, have tailored my search and pretty much found the car, its 140 BHP COD Black Edition in Glacier White with Rotor Alloys, checked mileage, and all seems genuine, but its not with main dealer, and the WMS Warranty makes me nervous as even though 5* the exceptions is a long and healthy list, though gearbox is covered, - my thinking was to ask them to reduce warranty to 3 months from 6 and then at 2 months i purchase the Audi warranty, which is £307 named component, or £417 full cover (as per the dealer)

Knowing the prices, does make me look at the Main Dealer prices now, and subtract £417 which brings the main dealers closer to the standard dealers prices,

Think would still like to buy from Main Dealer not for their customer service or care (as guy I spoke to at independent dealer this car was at was much better in manner he spoke to me IMO) but simply for that direct 12 months protection you get.

So in a dilemma, pursue this car and maybe push for better price on reduced warranty, and then get the Audi warranty at 30 days, or hold out for a main dealer, and keep in mind that £417 of ticket price is what would have to pay in addition if went independent/private.

Should really not worry, its a relatively low mileage Audi, that passed 2 MOT without advisories and has full Audi history, and clean HPI check

But yet, there is still dilemma!

As a 185bhp Black Edition owner, I can tell you the ride is quite firm and bumpy on the S-Line suspension. Especially with more passengers/weight on board.

If that would put you off then I wouldn't recommend one.

As a 185bhp Black Edition owner, I can tell you the ride is quite firm and bumpy on the S-Line suspension. Especially with more passengers/weight on board.

If that would put you off then I wouldn't recommend one.

Had Audi A3 Quattro with SLine suspension, on the 8P frame, and it did wear on me, so at present seeking A1 with the 'sport' suspension, which no doubt be firmer than dynamic but hopefully enough to be a livable drive. There is less obviously but they are out there.

Given ourselves a month of patience before have to actively compromise as have we have quite a narrowed search band, but its now a fully informed search, so thanks for all the advisement everyone who took the time as filled in some gaps that would have been issues if purchased and had to live with.

I'd suggest driving as many cars as possible including an S line with the S line suspension on 18s to see whether you think its too harsh and a Sport on 17s.

My A3 8P S-line (as per my signature) on factory -fitted 18” alloys has a ride that is rock hard and whilst I love the car it is the only aspect of it that I’m not entirely happy about.
The 2018 A1 S-line that has just joined us (on 17” wheels) however has a ride that whilst firm is no-where near as hard IMHO as the A3 so I’d say don’t rule out an A1 S-line on 17s......

FWIW when I had my wheels sent off to be powder coated recently, the wheel place gave me some "loan" wheels to use, and they were 17s with 45 profile tyres. It helped soften the ride a little but ultimately its the suspension which makes the difference not the wheels/tyres.

Update:

Bought yesterday at midday and drove home a March 2014 plate Mythos Black, Black Edition 185 PS STronic with 18" rotor wheels with 14,000 miles, with 12 month Audi approved warranty and 12 months breakdown.

Tax is £140 (we were paying £199 on the Mini Cooper) and on driving back the 90 miles from where collected achieved 43 MPG and that was with me testing the engine :sunglasses:

1. Black Edition (Xenon etc.)
  2. Bluetooth Phone Connection
  3. LED interior lighting Pack
  4. SLine styling and Sline Suspension
  5. Heated Mirrors (not folding)
  6. Split Rear Seats
  7. Rain and Light Sensors (Not Comfort Pack)
  8. Climate Control
  9. STronic Paddles
  10. Full Audi Service History
  11. Hill Assist (have to remember to put handbrake on and off! as have auto hold on the R)
The only things compromised on were heated seats (hard to find anyway) parking sensors and Panoramic Roof (which really was in the bonus territory) so very happy with the find and the price managed to negotiate as compared with older, higher mileage and weaker warranty alternatives.

Cannot see a dynamic drive option in the MMI so presume the only sport option is on the gearbox itself and you do not get the firmer steering?

We were looking at Misano Red or Glacier White, but as soon as saw the Mythos Black, with the contrast gun metal spoke alloys and rear gun metal rear grille we were sold, so stealthy and classy.

Genuinely looked brand new on pick up, in a pick up bay, not a mark on body or the wheels and interior similar, immaculate.

As stated, my drive is a Golf R and tell you what, when you kick down on this A1 it really shifts, not quite as quick as the R, but given engine to size, the sensation is definitely comparable, and the DSG is again equally comparable as you would expect, so on that side of things a huge tick.

The cabin is more impressive than my R, Audi definitely did not dumb down on the baby, entry level Audi, its all would expect of an Audi, and with the SLine seats, Multi function Steering Wheel and standard and LED Lighting Pack, its just a great place to be, the seats hold you firmly and comfortably and again, its just another big tick.

Left the ride to last, as it was really the main discussion point and concern and after all the research was satisfied that as was pointed out by Nessy above, my 60 plate Audi Quattro on SLine suspension was not comparable as the suspension was modified since, and so it has proved and would say driving now over 100 miles on varying roads, including a concrete section, and a section where surface was quite patchy and pitted, and having been in my R today, its comparable to my R in race mode (which is on the dynamic suspension) and so that means, its smooth on smooth roads, and firmer on the lesser roads, but not in the crashy way the 60 plate A3 was, but in a more cossetted bump, so you just more aware, opposed to being crashed and discomforted.

So a pleasant surprise if honest, and give wife mainly local driving, and less miles (the R is the family workhorse) its really not going to be an issue, we fully satisfied of that already having been on such a decent run over all surfaces that can encounter.

So there was some patience, some rejected offers from about 6 garages, but one stuck on this car and all the diligence and patience was worth it in getting the car we did in terms of age mileage and specification.

As a bonus, having not thought too much about A1 previously, me personally? Who likes his cars to be a little keener lets say, being pleasantly surprised by just how good the A1 really is, great quality in the build, and in the guise we have it, a shifty performer also, but with decent MPG and definitely far better MPG than the Mini Cooper was giving us.

There is a lot of tech in gearbox and engine with its turbo and supercharger so already budgeted for the extended warranty each year.

So thats us committed and signed off, but ff anyone in same position looking, please look through thread at mine and everyone comments and ask any questions may still have, as be happy to share experience also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
Congrats mate. Welcome to the 185 club. Pretty much the same spec as mine. Get some pics up!

As you suspect, the Sport driving mode is only on the gearbox. There's nothing in the MMI to change the drive. Get it remapped to 200-210bhp and it'll shift even more! Mine is and I still get 40-45mpg on the 30 min drive to and from work every day.

Last edited:
Couple of photos from yesterday in the handover bay and a photo from the advert
clear.png
:sunglasses:

[photo=medium]9359[/photo]

[photo=medium]9357[/photo]

[photo=medium]9358[/photo]

Reactions: 45bvtc
Very nice.

Needs lowering... ;)

Well, my ride is 66 plate Golf R and now wife has this, the R again becomes my daily ride, as it does not disappear every morning now with her at the wheel! so in terms of me, sorted :sunglasses:

We were looking at 150 PS as it likely more than enough for the nippiness she requested, so at 185 PS thats more than enough and as for lowering, its not something consider for her, the profile of the A1 is probably perfect for her I would say.

Not one to rush in on purchasing a car given the ridiculous amount of models, engines and options, like to have all facts at disposal, and think given wife needs have pretty much found the car she was seeking and giving myself at least a 9/10 for my efforts and actually been getting 5* treatment since she had it, :smiley: not sure how long last though, but going with it, ..

Hi,

Great looking car and glad you are pleased with it. Definitely worth the wait.

I had rear parking sensors that were colour coded retro fitted to my first A1 that look like the factory fitted option. The are flush mounted and the fitter used the pre marked holes on the reverse of the rear bumper (these are visible when the bumper is removed). The standard after market sensors look terrible in my opinion, so worth checking out a few suppliers first if you go down this route. Cost me a few hundred pounds then, but no doubt a few pound more today.

Enjoy the car.

Couple of photos from yesterday in the handover bay and a photo from the advert
clear.png
:sunglasses:

Nice. Similar to my own, and GREAT fun. I first put mine of 40 profile tyres - attempting to improve the ride but with limited success; I also run 37psi front and 31psi rear tyre pressures and that improved the ride and evened out the tyre wear across the tyre face. However, I've since fitted KW Street Comfort shock absorbers and springs and the ride is now superb. Oh, and I didn't want mine lowered so was able to maintain the ride height.

A1 on winter rubber

Enjoy...