Buying an Audi A5, what to look out for?

Bugsy_27

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been a member on the site for a good few years now and I've decided to upgrade my 2.0 tdi Audi A3 S-line for an A5.

My main question and first question I ever posted on here before even buying my A3 is are there any common faults or certain things to look for when buying an A5 as I'll be buying a used one.

Also going from a 2.0 tdi with shark remap what engine size would any recommend coming from similar engine sizes/cars?

Thanks

2011 onwards, either fwd or quattro (not fussed), manual, s line/black edition.

I found out on here about A3s blowing their turbos so knew what to look for when I was viewing them and also knew when mine needed replacing before it ruined the engine

I can only give you my experience, which may be subjective. I can't really comment on faults as my experiences have been with fairly new ones which have been BE spec. Personally I'd opt for the Quattro, I find my fwd manual a bit twitchy on the front, whereas the Quattro just feels a lot more planted. I also found the fwd standard s-line suspension crashy, yet the same set up on a Quattro s-tronic was absolutely fine. Also well worth getting one with tech pack, makes the interior feel a lot more special in my opinion, as does the interior light pack.

Reactions: Bugsy_27
Thanks, luckily the one I'm viewing this week is a Quattro.

I'm finding it hard waiting for the right spec to come along, been looking since just before christmas and not had much luck but I did the same with my A3 and found the perfect one with lots of extras.

What's included in the tech pack?

Tech pack gives you the 40gb hard drive, sat nav and iPod connectivity. The screen is also higher resolution. Was an expensive upgrade from new, but now standard on the current BE's.

If you're coming from an A3 you might also find the heavily offset foot pedals an irritation...I know I did for a long time, not a problem now though as just about to pick up a Quattro S-tronic.

Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it

From looking more depth this week I've decided to go for a 3.0tdi Quattro, ideally I'd like a BE and 2011 onwards but we'll see what comes up

Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it

From looking more depth this week I've decided to go for a 3.0tdi Quattro, ideally I'd like a BE and 2011 onwards but we'll see what comes up

I've just bought a A5 3.0TDI S-Line Quattro and it is really fun to drive! I had a A4 2.0TDI before and in comparrison it wipes the floor with it. Just look out on the gearbox, you want a S-Tronic as I think the Multitronic is known to break after 80,000 miles!

Reactions: Bugsy_27
And if your still looking to remap it, the 3.0TDi really responds well to a map.