Buying an RS3

reilly s3

Reaction score
Hello there guys and girls. I recently own an Audi S3 8p which I've had for four years. I'm looking to sell my car and get an RS3 is there anything major I should look out for when buying one of these. Ie common faults i'm going to be spending all my money on buying the car could do without the cost of fixing it as well lol. Thank you for any feedback. Daniel

Make sure you have some warranty on it for any unexpected issues. There are common brake issues but there are also various resolutions for this issue. Great car for the money. The 5 pot engine is a great machine and you won't be disappointed

Reactions: reilly s3 and T-800
Hello there guys and girls. I recently own an Audi S3 8p which I've had for four years. I'm looking to sell my car and get an RS3 is there anything major I should look out for when buying one of these. Ie common faults i'm going to be spending all my money on buying the car could do without the cost of fixing it as well lol. Thank you for any feedback. Daniel

One word Daniel........... Warranty

Make sure you get one.

Reactions: reilly s3
I for one wouldn't advocate 'warranty'... :sadlike:

Unless you're a 'moaner' who wants to run to your Audi dealer with a "there's a rattle in my glove box" sort of owner, and there's a lot of them that does, I'd hold onto yer money

I've purchased many second hand cars in my lifetime Lotus cars especially (that at least must be funny as LOTUS generally equates to Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious) and always:

a) Check out the vehicle overall both inside and out and if ok,

b) Road test and give it duel diligence and that means shutting up the salesman and turning off the audio and checking both handling and brakes before engine and transmission

Happy at this stage:

c) Check the service records available,

d) If at an Audi dealership request ALL service records and upgrades :readit:

Excited now but wanting a little more comfort:

e) Insist the seller (Audi dealer or otherwise) pays for a STD service (at whatever mileage) to include an MOT at an Audi dealership and that that includes and ALL AUDI updates outstanding

When content give the man yer money and drive the damn thing away and enjoy... :racer:

Don't waste money on a warranty unless you're the sort of guy that enjoys, and some do, the pacifying mannerisms offered by the garage i.e., good coffee and have a nice day, tsk

NEVER paid for a warranty in my life

OK, my RS3 came new with extended warranty but 4.12 years on and I ain't ever used it...

Reactions: Darnrr, Dazzeroo, Raiden and 3 others
I for one wouldn't advocate 'warranty'... :sadlike:

Unless you're a 'moaner' who wants to run to your Audi dealer with a "there's a rattle in my glove box" sort of owner, and there's a lot of them that does, I'd hold onto yer money

I've purchased many second hand cars in my lifetime Lotus cars especially (that at least must be funny as LOTUS generally equates to Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious) and always:

a) Check out the vehicle overall both inside and out and if ok,

b) Road test and give it duel diligence and that means shutting up the salesman and turning off the audio and checking both handling and brakes before engine and transmission

Happy at this stage:

c) Check the service records available,

d) If at an Audi dealership request ALL service records and upgrades :readit:

Excited now but wanting a little more comfort:

e) Insist the seller (Audi dealer or otherwise) pays for a STD service (at whatever mileage) to include an MOT at an Audi dealership and that that includes and ALL AUDI updates outstanding

When content give the man yer money and drive the damn thing away and enjoy... :racer:

Don't waste money on a warranty unless you're the sort of guy that enjoys, and some do, the pacifying mannerisms offered by the garage i.e., good coffee and have a nice day, tsk

NEVER paid for a warranty in my life

OK, my RS3 came new with extended warranty but 4.12 years on and I ain't ever used it...
What an absolute belting reply. Nice one pal.

Reactions: Dazzeroo and 45bvtc
You're welcome reillyS3; been helping others for many years, even current RS3 owners, accordingly...

For me it's a CAR! And for me there's few if any companies make a BAD car these days, period

The rest is choice and customer perception and/or satisfaction

Most of the negativity today is customer dissatisfaction with expectation i.e., I want an RS3 to drive like an RS3 but I want is 'silent' with mega-smooooth ride on 35-profile tyres; or I want a 2-seater but can't get my 70-year old Mom and Dad in the back; yeah, right...

Hope you find the right machine, reillyS3, and if I can help I most certainly will

PS: the BIG difference between S3 and RS3 is the engine, period; the 2.5 lump is everyday wonderful; that said the handling of the S3 may be better; all down to choice and user expectation and/or how you want to administer your right-foot and the 'bum' experience, if you know what I mean....

I've found nothing yet at any price I'd swap my 8P RS3 for 'cos in the main it does everything I want it to do - that said I've an Audi A2 and an Audi TT roadster to do them other things I don't want the RS3 to do and there by is the difference, if you know what I mean.... :whistle2:

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg, Paul-RS6, BillTheButcher and 2 others
I agree with what @45bvtc has said, I am a new owner of the RS3 and am loving it, I have a few little niggles with mine but I am sorting them myself, I don't understand why some people moan that a used car is not perfect, some people do not look after cars as well as some of us

Hope you enjoy the RS3 experience :racer:

Reactions: Paul-RS6, elton121272 and 45bvtc
Apologies for digging up an old thread, been a while since I've been on here. I'm strongly considering the move to an 8P RS3 from an 8P S3 in the next couple of weeks. This is one of the first threads I've read with it being titled "Buying an RS3" and was interested in you saying "the handling of the S3 may be better" - it may be that I'm one of those whose expectations are out of kilter but I'd have expected the RS3 to handle better? What is it that's noticeably different/better with the S3 handling (perception or otherwise)?

Having had a S3 sportback and then the RS3 I'd say for normal and fast road use the RS3 handles much better in every way.
I don't track my cars but do drive them fairly quick and have added an uprated rear roll bar to the RS3 but overall it's a pretty sorted car.

Reactions: Paul-RS6 and 45bvtc
Been there and did the 8P S3 thing, had one new but it only lasted 6 months before the allure of the 5 pot had me by the short and curly's. Far superior car in every way. The S3 faithful don't like people saying it but once you have lived with both the choice is obvious, and unfortunately for them they haven't realised it yet. Please don't take this as a criticism of the S3, it's a great car, it's just not as great as the RS3. Go for it, you will love it!

Reactions: 45bvtc, Paul-RS6 and Dazzeroo
As above +1
I've had A3, S3 and now RS3, no regrets and would of saved a fortune if I went straight to the RS

Reactions: Paul-RS6 and 45bvtc
I too was a very content S3 owner but on Thursday 13th October 2011 when we went to Stafford Audi to collect our S3 post clutch change and found they had a RS3 demonstrator, oh sh*t, and in Misano red too...

After much sales persuasion and much resistance from me I agreed to take a road test. Less than a mile into a 10-mile run I was totally besotted with the RS3: the engine, brakes and gearbox were amazingly brilliant; me, a 68-year old, was shaking with excitement - but ALL UK designated RS3s had been sold so all we could do was find an available machine and there were two physically here in the UK. Next day I'd sold my S3 subject to purchasing the DK Engineering Cornflower blue RS3 (http://www.dkeng.co.uk/Vehicle_Archive/219/Audi_RS3.html) and the day after that we were down Chorleywood and the deal had been done

And no regrets; 4-years going on 5 and still nothing available here in the UK I'd swap this machine for, tempted even and I have looked; for me the RS3, any RS3, is the most amazing all weather machine that truly comes into its own when the weather's bad; love it... :yahoo:

Reactions: Paul-RS6
I have had 3 x Audi S3's since 2002 and been part of the almost cult following the original 8L S3's had in their peak.

The first two 8L's modified, the last, a standard 8P MY11 Black Edition 3 dr manual.

The change from S3 to RS3 is onto a different level.
I love mine. It may even be a keeper, with only 750 made for he UK.

Reactions: RYes3, Marshy and 45bvtc
Hi guys. I am in the same predicament. I am currently looking at an 11 plate RS3 mint condition with 16000 on the clock. Think of trading my 15 plate S3 for it. My car has 3100 on the clock. My justification to the wife is that in 3 years time the RS will be worth more than the S3 and therefore it would be a sound investment. Agreements? Or Arguments?

For me my 61-plate Audi RS3 is a great car and I enjoy it for what it is/does: not sure that an RS3 is an investment mind but for sure it will always be 'desirable' and 'saleable' later on; just make sure you enjoy it along the way...

See ASN thread 'RS3 going' as others are looking and/or selling

Hi guys. I am in the same predicament. I am currently looking at an 11 plate RS3 mint condition with 16000 on the clock. Think of trading my 15 plate S3 for it. My car has 3100 on the clock. My justification to the wife is that in 3 years time the RS will be worth more than the S3 and therefore it would be a sound investment. Agreements? Or Arguments?
Also 5 doors so family car right? Do it

Practical family 5 door hatch with extra boot space is my current justification!

...Currently have 3dr manual S3 which is now getting tiresome lumping the kids in the back and buckling them up!

Practical family 5 door hatch with extra boot space is my current justification!

...Currently have 3dr manual S3 which is now getting tiresome lumping the kids in the back and buckling them up!

Seeing your 'previous' A3 3.2 DSG you already know that an RS3 is the car you really wanted all along: the RS3 is similar but NOT the same as the RS3 has much better engine torque characteristics for everyday motoring and much improved 7-speed gearbox :yahoo:

Reactions: Darnrr
At 6ft 3, The only thing I missed from my 3dr S3 8P is the larger doors.

The sportback is identical in size between the wheel centers as the 3dr but gains 2 doors.
The only difference is 70mm longer between the rear wheel centre and rear bumper iirc.

Last edited:
The 3.2 V6 had an amazing growl to it, begged you to rev it. The S3 engine sounds a little more dull in comparison but overall, for me, has been a better package, really missed the flappy paddle s-tronic though! I've loved this S3 and cant really fault it but had it for 4-5 years now so time for a change. :)

The supercharged 3.0 in the S4/S5 is appealing, too. :)

The 3.2 V6 had an amazing growl to it, begged you to rev it. The S3 engine sounds a little more dull in comparison but overall, for me, has been a better package, really missed the flappy paddle s-tronic though! I've loved this S3 and cant really fault it but had it for 4-5 years now so time for a change. :)

The supercharged 3.0 in the S4/S5 is appealing, too. :)

Out with a relatively new S3 Sportback 300bhp with DSG a few days ago and while I liked the car lots it felt 'hollow' compared with an RS3, that 5-pot motor sure makes a difference and is why I purchased mine back in 2011, and am keeping hold of it, too... :yahoo:

Reactions: Darnrr
Yep, amazing the power that the 2.0 is capable of but the 4pot lacks a little character. I meant the car as an overall package btw not the engine ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc