Buying: MK2 GOLF GTI 16V

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Really want to get my hands on one of these for like a little project restore it and that.

But what do i look for? Ebay they are from £500-4k

Any help would be good :sex:

Jason

what are you looking to do? restore to OEM, restore and modify?

big bumper / small bumper?
power steering?
recaro interior? leather?

there has always been some debate over valvers ability to run 95oct unleaded.. some people went with a lead brick in the tank, others with a Vsam. Some went for both. If you're going for one with a v-sam, make sure it was installed well.

oh, and dont get sucked in by a few stick on "wolfsberg edition" or "edition one" badges ;)

Well i really like the MK2 thats all really, as standard as possible really just like the look of it.

Any particular model i should look out for?

Jason

if its just the mk2 shape your after, try and get a right hand drive G60. They are very very rare. I forget the actual number of RHD ones out there, but its less than 100. All the other G60's are LHD or bad RHD conversions. Rallye's don't do it for me unfortunately.

if a g60 is too much though, a valver is a much cheaper choice. You may be lucky and find a factory 1.9 Oettinger out there, but again, it'll be more expensive than a normal one.

If it was me, and i couldn't find any of the above about, i'd settle for a 1990 small bumper model with the facelift interior and components. I did the whole big bumper bling thing, and small bumpers and 16's are the way to go IMO ;)

Kool yeh im definitly after a valver theres a few out there hugerange in price obviously mileage is high but its understandable.

But its the original hot hatch !

Jason

head on over to the club-gti site then, there's loads of knowledgeable peope over there.

the only problems i've ever had were:

rust around widscreen rubber - reject immediately, complete ba$tard to fix
seizing rear calipers - pretty much affects 100% of mk2's.. slightly fixed by retor-fitting mk3 calipers.
rusting battery tray - just fix it before the battery falls out ;)
blocked drain channels in roof and rotten sunroof.
poor door membranes, leading to wet feet and doorcards.
usual coolant temperature sensor issues that plague all VAG cars
rusting fuel lines around metering head
usual glovebox catch and seat catch problems

I paid £1k for mine, full documented service history, last owner 9 years with 99,600 miles on the clock, it's got 103k now, lovin it. :racer: