Buying my first A4 avant 2.0tdi, what spec to get and what to look out for when buying?

jakm15

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Me and the Mrs are looking for a new car, we've current got an 06 fiesta zetec-s 1.6, we've decided that the a4 avant would be a good car for what we do. Were both into outdoor activities, walking, mountain biking, motorcycle Enduro riding so the space of the a4 and the towing capability would suit us great.

I originally wanted the 2.0T petrol as in the week the Mrs does a short commute to work and I didn't want the dpf blocking up on a diesal. Unfortunately after a bit of research the problem of the oil consumption has put me right off so it's the 2.0tdi now.

Weve got around £9000 to spend and I want a car with 100K miles or less.

We've test drove 2 140bhp s-lines and they were both very nice.

Now my first question is what bhp/spec etc would you recommend?

I've looked at the 170bhp s-line quattro executives and these seem to have the best spec, sat nav, cruise, auto boot, auto lights and a few other goodies.

Now my 2nd question and probably more important is what to check and look for when buying a 100k milage example.

So far I thought to

HPI check,
Full Audi service history,
Check all buttons, lights electronic gadgets,
Overall condition, no bad wear to drivers seat or pedals,
Full throttle in 4th from around 1100rpm to 4500 to check for clutch slipping,
Check for juddering from clutch when setting off or any noises,
Air con check,
Handbrake check,
Check engine bay and whole of car for signs of accident damage etc,
Check vin numbers for signs of tampering and that they match to v5,
Check both keys are present and the spare master key is presant,
Find out if cambelt and water pump has been done, if not budget £400 for job,
Check tyre condition,
Check for any exhaust smoke on cold start,
Feel and listen for problems during test drive,

I've also got a Bluetooth obd2 reader with an app on my phone, ive contemplated plugging this in and scanning for any fault codes whilst on the test drive.

Sorry for the long intro but I'd like to be as prepared as possibly and informed as possibly before I part with my hard earned cash.

Any comments, criticisms, advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to ASN.
I don't know about the gearing on a 2.0 TDI but in my 3.0 TDI 4500 RPM in 4th would put you somewhere around 105mph. Either way the clutch is likely to slip somewhere between 1800 and 2500 RPM when torque is highest so just accelerate from 1400 to 3000 RPM in 5th.
Try the fault reader. There are several fault codes that can be present with no lights illuminated on the dash, duff glow plugs, intermittent sensors.
Download the Carista app it works very well with VAG cars.
A common problem is the locking fuel flap solenoid goes duff. Easy to change about £35 but most people don't actually know it's failed as the fuel filler flap is open when ever the car is. On mine it had failed and the flap wasn't locking.
Decide what you really want, remember cars with sat nav that are a few years old really need a map update. This isn't cheap.
The 170 Quattro is not the car to go for if you want particularly good economy. A 140 FWD car will work better for you if you want more mpg.
Personally I wouldn't have a DSG car they can be very expensive if they go wrong.

Are you looking to buy private or dealer ? Having just gone through a fairly long search for the new (to me) A4 avant, I had kinda discounted looking at the Audi dealerships - they usually wouldn't retail a car over a certain age and mileage - however, as I discovered,occasionally they will, with what they consider to be a nice enough example. I learned my lesson the hard way having seen one advertised on Autotrader, from Audi dealership, listed as very basic spec car - no photos either, so I didn't bother following it up. After 2 weeks they added photos, you could then see the true spec of the car. Someone got a deposit on it soon after seeing the updated add, so I missed out on it. Was a little more clued up this time when I saw the car I eventually bought advertised in the same way (again without images )
I'd consider the primary thing buying an approved used car through Audi dealer network is the warranty provided. There must be a quite a few part exchanges coming through with the new registration period - you might well be fortunate !

Good luck with your search

Thanks for both of those replies they've been interesting to read, I'm glad no major problems seem to occur with these cars.

I'll will keep my eyes open at the Audi dealers, I did nip in a while ago and as you said they seemed to be 12month old cars at the oldest.

I've been looking at a few different avants over the last few days, various mileage spec etc I think ill wait until a very good example turns up and go with that one either a 140 or 170. A full history and good interior/exterior mechanical condition is a must.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro