Bye Bye S3, S4 Avant Pending

Tay

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well after just less than 2 years of ownership, my S3 has now gone :( as great a car as it has been for me, it had simply become too small for the expanding family.

But I'm not going over to the dark side, I'm planning on buying an S4 Avant in the not so distance future, depending on availability and lead times.

Has anyone else made the same switch in the past and how have they found it to live with?

View attachment 30762

Reactions: Rich M and scotty76
Hi Tay

Good choice - Avants rule!

There's a few of us playing the waiting game at the moment - lots of info in the threads below
I cant comment on the move from the S3, But I'm sure 'Warren S3/ S5' will be along shortly to give some input!:rockwoot:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/214174-s4-build-wait-thread.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/209332-7-weeks-3200-miles-into-s4-ownership.html

If your are looking to buy new - there are some great deals to be had currently - with the finance and some smart negotiating, I got just almost £10K of my order.
Finding second hand with the right spec and colour just wasn't happening for me.

In terms of lead times, I ordered end of January and my provisional build week is 20 (moved to 18 the other week, but now back to 20!) which is week commencing 12th May so should get it in June hopefully.

Cheers
Keef

Reactions: scotty76
S3 is a great car, but has its limitations in terms of boot space, passenger space (3dr, especially as sliding seats are rubbish), and the old girl is starting to show clear signs of the fact it was fundamentally designed as a platform over 10 years ago.

The S3 stood the test of time well, but the move to a newer platform like the A4/5 (whilst still comparatively old) will offer some nice upgrades. The S/C lump is an understated masterpiece; smooth yet powerful (and has won Wards engine of the year about 5 years on the trot). Also there is huge potential to get serious power hikes for reasonable money if the linearity of the engine becomes a bit familiar.

I did try an S4 but it had too many doors for us hence the S5. I think you'll love it!

Before:

After:

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin, DAYTONA 500, scotty76 and 1 other person
Hi Tay,

Good move, you won't regret it though.

As Keef has mentioned there's a few of us here eagerly waiting for our S4's to be built and delivered.

Ordered mine on the 17th Feb and with an expected build date w/c 5th May. There are some really good deals out there to be had and I would advise using carwow to get a rough idea of how much you can expect to get off one.

Regards

Reactions: scotty76 and Keef
Maybe their dealer had a spare build slot set aside for something else. Audi are getting wise to this and trying to clamp down on it. It tends to be driven on allocations (e.g. how many of each type of car are allocated for sale by dealer) - so I've heard.

Not sure to be honest, the build was originally the 26th June with delivery in July. Then it went to 12th June and then finally 5th May.

NOT LIKE! Only kiddin

In the words of my dealers:-
"It is now showing week 20, but it will keep going backwards and forwards until it goes production confirmed
This should be in about a couple of weeks. When it goes production confirmed I will email you."
I think that's a firm, stop asking me!

Had the same with my current car - only got confirmed 3 days before actual build week

I recently switched from a 2011 TTS, which has the same 2.0 litre turbo engine as the S3 ....

To a 2013 supercharged 3.0 litre S5, so same engine as the S4 ....

Absolutely no looking back at all and HUGE step up in - pretty much every department other than than handling perhaps as its a bigger heavier car.

But ....

engine is amazing, no lag, just instant power and masses of it.
Quality is a massive step up and all materials feel very 'premium'
Even the leather used feels softer and thicker.
Seats are to die for - in terms of looks and comfort.
6 cylinder is so smooth - no more 4 pot rattles at idle or on start up in the morning.
Added luxuries at no extra cost like the cruise, auto lights wipers, leccy seats, extended leather, DAB, B&O, privacy glass etc.
S-tronic suits the car so much and this is my 1st after being manual all the way.
Effortless cruising in calm silent comfortable cabin .... with power when you want it, did I mention that :)
Wonderful exterior looks and front & rear lights are amazing.
Solid thump when you close the doors.

Just feels a BIG step up from the TTS and as I did not rag the TTS round country roads I was not so bothered about losing a degree of agility and admit to enjoy straight line speed more and acceleration so the S5 is perfect.

I wanted something with useable rear seats and which would take me on long journeys and eat up motorway miles when called for as the TTS was pretty hard in terms of suspension and was ok on motorways and wind noise was noticeable.

The S5 is a wonderful car to own and drive and I am sure the S4 will be too, sharing many of the same components.

Reactions: Rich M, scotty76 and warren_S5
Mine was week 18 build from when it slipped from 1st week in April, then hasn't moved since. I've been dying for it to move forwards like others have but no such luck.

I've found reasons to call the dealer (roof rack / personal plates / don't clean it etc.) each week so I an get another date update. He'll be ****** ecstatic once I've taken delivery as he'll get a quiet life again!

Reactions: Rich M, Snake Pliskin and scotty76
Thanks everyone, the spec I'm considering with Sports Diff, Drive Select, SS Seats and more is proving difficult to find second hand so I'm considering buying new.

Keef, could I be ask which dealer gave you that amount of discount? I have tried carwow and the best offered is just under £7k discount.

On average, what are the total wait times people have had/ expected? I've been quoted July delivery by one dealer, others wouldn't say.

4 months seem about the average, but depends on specification as you can change something and it can either move the date in or out.

Thanks everyone, the spec I'm considering with Sports Diff, Drive Select, SS Seats and more is proving difficult to find second hand so I'm considering buying new.

Keef, could I be ask which dealer gave you that amount of discount? I have tried carwow and the best offered is just under £7k discount.

On average, what are the total wait times people have had/ expected? I've been quoted July delivery by one dealer, others wouldn't say.

Hi Tay,

I managed to get 8k discount on carwow - the best from Sytner in Leicester and then further free GAP when I took the quote to my local dealer. Obviously Keef did some good bargaining and got even better discount.

Regards

I couldn't find the spec and condition I wanted. Here's a carwow quote I did for comparison though this is not the spec I ordered.

carwow2.png

Hi Tay

initially i used drive the deal price as bargaining tool, then someone suggested trying carwow. My best offer was also from Sytner in Leicester, my spec list price was just over £48k - sales guy at Leicester offer was £39k! (Including the finance contribution offer)
After almost 2 hours in my local dealers (and getting up to leave twice) they begrudgingly priced matched to keep my custom as ive had 3 news cars from them over the years. At which point i mentioned the £500 i had on the table from Audi CS!

I'm in exactly the same boat, S3 sportback for 2 years now but I now have two kids, and in all honesty the S3 is somehow less than the sum of its parts. Does everything really well - but doesn't feel special like my mk5 GTI did. So come the summer I think I'll be visiting the dealer for an S4 Avant.

The only thing that worries me a touch about this is that it doesn't look like A4 / S4's have all that much extra leg room in the back over the A3 / S3 - but I haven't made a proper comparison. Any one able to comment on this?

I do agree about the rear leg room, when I sat in there it didn't feel all that spacious (but that's the kids problem not mine). Id imagine the SS seats may make a little bit of a space difference.

So far my best car wow/drive the deal quote is a £7500 saving (inc finance contribution) on a £47k spec car. Not much luck with local dealers matching that quote so far. Also it looks like the Q2 deal is worse as the interest rate has gone up!

So far my best car wow/drive the deal quote is a £7500 saving (inc finance contribution) on a £47k spec car. Not much luck with local dealers matching that quote so far. Also it looks like the Q2 deal is worse as the interest rate has gone up!

Yep, new finance offer adds £100 extra deposit but the APR goes from 6.5%->6.9%.

Yep, new finance offer adds £100 extra deposit but the APR goes from 6.5%->6.9%.

Hi Scotty

The finance deal listed on the Audi website does not mention the S4? I only found out the S4 was included from a visit to my dealers.
Do you have a copy of the Q1 finance deal details for the S4? I didn't get a copy!

Just noticed the dealer contribution on an RS4 has dropped from £7k to £4K! ouch

Thanks
Keef

Hi Scotty

The finance deal listed on the Audi website does not mention the S4? I only found out the S4 was included from a visit to my dealers.
Do you have a copy of the Q1 finance deal details for the S4? I didn't get a copy!

Sorry Keef, I don't have a copy. I only have the finance quotes from the dealer. Really hoping mine turns up by end of June (hoping for a miracle) so I get the Q1 deal.

Sorry Keef, I don't have a copy. I only have the finance quotes from the dealer. Really hoping mine turns up by end of June (hoping for a miracle) so I get the Q1 deal.

No probs mate - I've asked the dealer for a copy of the pre-contract agreement which should have the APR and finance details on.

What was your Build week again?

I don't know what the week number is but it's week starting 9th June.

That's Build week 24 then - guaranteed to be a MY2015, but will take a miracle to be delivered by the end of June.
Let hope it moves forward like some others have mate! fingers crossed.

Cheers
Keef

Any idea when my build week may be then? I'm about to pull the trigger and place my order on the following spec:

Black Edition Avant S-Tronic
Ibis or Glacier White
Drive Select
Sports Diff
Damper Control
Black/Lunar Silver Supersport Seats
Heated Front Seats
Tech Pack High

No idea mate, best guess based on others peoples orders would be, order now and maybe July build, August delivery.
But thats just my guess!