C5 A6 2.5 tdi opinions

Shane-Ireland

Reaction score
HI guys currently a VW driver current car is a supercharged V6 bora 4motion,i've decided to sell up though and invest in a track car.So i'm currently doing some research on good tow cars that will also be a nice daily driver with plenty of room and toys.

I've been looking a c5 A6 avant quattro and in particular the 2.5 V6 tdi i'm going to be buying on a budget so it'll be a high mileage example i.e 140k plus. Anyone here running one of these or have experience of them? how does this engine/car take high miles? compared to say the 1.9 lumps which run forever if well maintained.

Also what in particular should i be looking out for? it will be at least a month or more before i hit the market but i'm doing my research early..

Thanks for reading.

Shane.

Hi Shane,
Mine's on 151k and still pulling strong...., as with all second hand buys, it can be a lottery, but a well maintained car certainly helps. Yes, the 1.9's seem to have a great engine (had one in my Golf), but you'll get a lot of car for your money. Fuel pumps and cams can be problematic, but again, most engines have their faults.

Best of luck and let us know how you go on.

Cheers Watt.

Can you tell me what kind of MPG you get from yours and how do you find the 2.5 lump in a big heavy car like the A6 obviously i want the big heavy car for towing but i want a little 'go' aswell.

Average MPG over the last 9 months..... 35 MPG !! I've got a 'Economy' map running for the last 6 months and have seen the mpg steadily creep up. Must get 40 - 45 mpg on a good run and seems to like the recent hot dry weather. I've had the car for 2 years, which is something I don't do, so it must be good. It's a great car and love it to bits.

Cheers watty for the help,im a bit away from buying yet but im sure when i do ill be posting alot on here

My stepfather has had several A6's over the last few years and undoubtedly the only lemon was the last one , a year 2000 2.5 tdi Avant purchased with 150k miles and a lot of history.
He had no-end of engine aggro, replaced all 4 camshafts and a lot of the valve-gear and was dogged with oil leaks so much that he sold the car as he was so utterly sick of it.
There may be loads of happy V6 2.5 tdi owners but am sure there are an equal number of woeful owners as well, do a search on this site and the number of problems that crop up with these engines (compared, to say, the 1.9) is alarming.
Having run 1.9 tdi's for the last 10 years and over 150k miles I cant recommend them highly enough, I really wouldn't wish a 2.5 tdi on my worst enemy........lol.

Last edited: