C5 RS6 gearbox swap guide?

Reaction score
Afternoon.
I'm looking for any threads that show a C5 RS6 auto gearbox swap. There's a car for sale that seems nice, other than that the auto box won't go up past 3rd. I've re-shelled an S2, broken quite a few cars for parts and fixed, swapped and modded more than I can remember. But I'm wondering how bad this would be on a scale of 'horrible' to 'ohjesuswhydidIstartthisIshouldhavejustboughtafriggincorsa'?
I've been searching but can't find much. It does require a gearbox swap right?
I see there's also an option for a manual RS4 box conversion for the truly hardcore.
cheers
nj

I ended up backing out of the purchase because it was looking ****** expensive to buy a decent reconditioned gearbox. By all accounts it's fairly common and most of the RS6s I found being broken on ebay were for that very reason. I wouldn't break a decent car over the problem but I was hearing prices of £500 + fitting.

Reactions: Nollywood
I ended up backing out of the purchase because it was looking ****** expensive to buy a decent reconditioned gearbox. By all accounts it's fairly common and most of the RS6s I found being broken on ebay were for that very reason. I wouldn't break a decent car over the problem but I was hearing prices of £500 + fitting.

And you really think £500 + fitting is unreasonable?

I didn't say unreasonable. I said expensive.

The cost of the car, plus the reconditioned gearbox, plus transport, plus fitting, plus getting the car to Finland (where I live) and then paying the crazy Finnish import tax.. all would have meant the total purchase price was very expensive. I didn't suggest that the actual part and fitting costs were unreasonable though.