C8 Gearbox after recent Software Update - How does it compare?

sigibbons

Reaction score
Hi All

I am considering a new 50TDi A6 Allroad and would like to ask how the gearbox compares after the recent software update people have had done to remedy the sluggish gear change and function generally.

I am choosing between this and a BMW 530d Touring, which I have already owned in the latest G31 shape. This has the ZF gearbox, but I think the A6 does too. Has anybody driven the two and can make a comparison?

Is the gearbox and general driving dynamics good after the software update? Or is the 50TDi A6 platform generally a bit unresponsive and vague?

Thank you!

As a recent owner of Audi A6 50 TDI, I initially thought that the car was sluggish and very slow to response. I had a software update from my local dealer and since then the car has improved quite a bit. But having said that I still find 2 liter engines far more responsive in initial gears. I just drove Audi Q5 40 TDI and the engine there seems more free raving. I recently also drove BMW 5 series 530d and I found that slightly better but nothing very different that Audi 3 liter. May be that the way 3 liters engine work.

Did you had a software update for your gearbox here in the UK? What month/year is your car?

I had the update (23CK) on my 2020 A6 50tdi on Sept. 29th while in for warranty work, the difference is very noticeable! I thought I was in sport mode when I pulled out from dealership but was in drive.

I didn't feel the lag was that bad before the update but I now think it was, the shifts are now much quicker and I haven't had the problem when pulling from junctions when slowly approaching and need to pull out quickly into moving traffic. Before it would take a second before anything would happen, but now the power is there straight away. In sport its brutal, it feels like a different beast now IMO. Sorry can't compare to a BMW as not driven one.

I asked about the update a few months ago and was told it did not effect my car, then when in the other week they said it was carried out while in. I asked why and was told the update was being rolled out by batch number which is determined by build year and month - this could be dealer BS but that's what they said.

Totally agree with the above post. See the thread started and finished by me here:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...urbo-lag-issues-software-update.418153/page-2

The car is now as it should have been "out of the box". It just feels completely right now. Always in the right gear at the right time. I had previously owned 2 A6s with this engine and gearbox combination, covering more than 200k miles. the last one a 3.0 BiTdi. When I first bought this latest car I was so disappointed with the gearbox programming but now it is just right. Mine was registered May 19 and I've owned for 6 months.

For what its worth I had a 20 plate 3.0 TDI Allroad loan car for the day when my updates were being done. That drove perfectly too.

To anyone thinking about buying one of these...ensure the update is done and enjoy the car!

Thanks guys, this is really useful to hear and has put my mind at ease for future ownership. A bad gearbox can really spoil a good car so glad to hear it is sorted.

Hi please can you advise which dealership you took your car too? I have a 2020 sep a8 50tdi with the same lag issues and the car is really sluggish to drive. My dealer Solihull Audi says this is how the car is and nothing wrong with it. Many thanks.

Hi please can you advise which dealership you took your car too? I have a 2020 sep a8 50tdi with the same lag issues and the car is really sluggish to drive. My dealer Solihull Audi says this is how the car is and nothing wrong with it. Many thanks.

Hi,

I had mine updated at that dealership (Birmingham Audi in Solihull) a couple of months back. As many have said a vast improvement on the original setup.

The recall regime will inevitably vary between models, indeed are you aware if there is even an update out there for the A8? Whilst you may not be happy with the performance of yours, it might be that it is the same as the upgraded A6's. I mean we were being upgraded from a very low base point, initial performance was diabolical for a new motor.

Try and get a test drive in a new A6 50 if you can and then do a comparison with yours and see if there is a marked difference.

Thank you for that. I had mine done at west london Audi and they carried out a adaptation to the box as well. It’s much more responsive now but still get the occasional clunk/shudder which really shouldn’t happen with a new car with only 6k miles.

Plus I now have a new issue when I turn right on a full lock of even half lock sometimes. My left tyre feels that it’s being dragged side ways and it’s very audible in the car. Audi says that is the Quattro effect which I’m struggling to believe. I’m running the tyres the car came with brand new, good year ones.

Any views on that ? My car is an a8 50tdi 2020
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus I now have a new issue when I turn right on a full lock of even half lock sometimes. My left tyre feels that it’s being dragged side ways and it’s very audible in the car. Audi says that is the Quattro effect which I’m struggling to believe. I’m running the tyres the car came with brand new, good year ones.
I have the 40 TDI Quattro rather than the 50 TDI Quattro and have never experienced this behaviour. My tyre size is 255/40/R20 and currently using Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tyres (car originally came with Pirelli P Zero's). Out of interest what tyre size are your tyres and what exact make of Goodyear tyres do you have? I assume you are running the correct tyre pressures? I'm using 36 PSI on my 101Y XL rated tyres, as shown on the door sticker.

Thanks

With just 6k miles it should not be tyre wear (I am currently experienceing something similar but I know the tyres need replacing - 16k miles), but have you checked the tyre pressures, especially as it has been much colder of late? All of my A6s have always been very sensitive to tyre pressures

Thank you for that. I had mine done at west london Audi and they carried out a adaptation to the box as well. It’s much more responsive now but still get the occasional clunk/shudder which really shouldn’t happen with a new car with only 6k miles.

Thanks

Presumably you are not going that fast when you turn ? Below 30 mph the rear wheels turn slightly but if it's front left I have never had that problem or noise. Mine is 2019 A6 TDi. I think it's dealer BS. Maybe the front wheel took a whack before you had it and the tracking may be badly out or there is suspension damage. Worth a check, just my ideas. If the dealer stalls take it to an independent VW/Audi garage, sometimes that are more clued up.

My A6 50tdi 2020 on Bridgestone’s has a similar “haptic” feedback on full lock, only happens when reversing into my parking bay which is not an easy task. All tyre pressure spot on. If I remember correctly, my mk1 TT Quattro did the same..? but it has been a long time since I owned a quattro.

I have the 40 TDI Quattro rather than the 50 TDI Quattro and have never experienced this behaviour. My tyre size is 255/40/R20 and currently using Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tyres (car originally came with Pirelli P Zero's). Out of interest what tyre size are your tyres and what exact make of Goodyear tyres do you have? I assume you are running the correct tyre pressures? I'm using 36 PSI on my 101Y XL rated tyres, as shown on the door sticker.

I’m running Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 265/40/20. Will check the tyre pressures tomorrow. But the issue is only while turning right and more specifically on a wet day, for example coming out of a car park and it’s a very clear slip sound like a tyre being dragged crossways!

My A6 50tdi 2020 on Bridgestone’s has a similar “haptic” feedback on full lock, only happens when reversing into my parking bay which is not an easy task. All tyre pressure spot on. If I remember correctly, my mk1 TT Quattro did the same..? but it has been a long time since I owned a quattro.

I would be fine if it did that while reversing in a car park but it does that while turning into a road as well ! And more evident on wet days and cold tyres.

Presumably you are not going that fast when you turn ? Below 30 mph the rear wheels turn slightly but if it's front left I have never had that problem or noise. Mine is 2019 A6 TDi. I think it's dealer BS. Maybe the front wheel took a whack before you had it and the tracking may be badly out or there is suspension damage. Worth a check, just my ideas. If the dealer stalls take it to an independent VW/Audi garage, sometimes that are more clued up.

Not at all More like under 10 miles coming out of a car park. Car has been with me since brand new, tracking is a logical solution. The only other issue I can think of is that when I picked the car from the showroom( August 2020), and drove it into the dual carriageway it had a vibration all around as if the tyres were not balanced. Took it back to the dealer within the same hour with less than 50 miles on the clock. Dealer took it for a test drive and said the vibration was there most definitely. Tyres off and balanced and then they did something similar to balancing the tyres to the car. Apparently it’s common on the rS models. The reasoning I had is that this car had been sat in the showroom for 9 months and tyres were under inflated due to that reason and possibly had a flat spot on them. However after the balancing the vibration issue was completely gone.

I’m running Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 265/40/20. Will check the tyre pressures tomorrow. But the issue is only while turning right and more specifically on a wet day, for example coming out of a car park and it’s a very clear slip sound like a tyre being dragged crossways!

Are you sure your car has 265/40/20 tyres instead of 255/40/R20? Because looking at the tyre spec sticker on my A6 C8 (inside of drivers door), there's no such tyre size of 265/40/R20 available for the A6. So it *might* be that your car has had the wrong size of tyres fitted at the factory, though it would be very unusual. Maybe post a picture of the tyre sticker on your car?

This is what's on mine (2020 A6):

Are you sure your car has 265/40/20 tyres instead of 255/40/R20? Because looking at the tyre spec sticker on my A6 C8 (inside of drivers door), there's no such tyre size of 265/40/R20 available for the A6. So it *might* be that your car has had the wrong size of tyres fitted at the factory, though it would be very unusual. Maybe post a picture of the tyre sticker on your car?

This is what's on mine (2020 A6):

Mine is an A8 50tdi hence the different tyre size but will check and post the picture of the tyre sticker

Reactions: psychopomp1
Mine is an A8 50tdi hence the different tyre size but will check and post the picture of the tyre sticker
Thanks, yeah would be good to see what your tyre sticker looks like. Though I'm guessing you meant to say you have an A6 50 TDI rather than an A8 50 TDI? (typo?)

Thanks, yeah would be good to see what your tyre sticker looks like. Though I'm guessing you meant to say you have an A6 50 TDI rather than an A8 50 TDI? (typo?)

No it’s an a8 50tdi not a6. Will send the sticker across this evening.

Ahhhhh gotcha, i wrongly assumed you had an A6 C8 50 TDI (since this is the A6 C8 forum). In which case the tyre spec/size photo I posted earlier won't apply to you car since the tyre sizes and pressures will be different for the A8. But nevertheless would be good to see what your tyre sticker looks like!

Ahhhhh gotcha, i wrongly assumed you had an A6 C8 50 TDI (since this is the A6 C8 forum). In which case the tyre spec/size photo I posted earlier won't apply to you car since the tyre sizes and pressures will be different for the A8. But nevertheless would be good to see what your tyre sticker looks like!

Yea I know! But seeing that you guys definitely know so much about the 50tdi issues with lag and updates I posted here, and frankly this forum helped resolve my laggy gearbox !
Really pleased about that. Now trying to deal with this hopping slipping dragging issue of the front left tyre. I’m going to also get the tracking checked tomorrow.

Mine does this when doing slow turns at full lock and I was initially concerned by it but it appears to be perfectly normal!

It is called tyre skipping and seems to be caused by the wide tyres - it is more noticeable in cold weather as your tyre’s rubber compound hardens I believe.

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/mercedes-tyre-skipping-official-statement.219393/

Hello all

Is this only affecting the diesel A6 C8 owners or has any petrol owners come across this issue as well?

Hello all

Is this only affecting the diesel A6 C8 owners or has any petrol owners come across this issue as well?
Can't see any reason this would be affected by the type of fuel as it is a tyre issue. To date the vast majority of A6s in the UK are diesel so it is inevitable that the most posts on here will be from diesel owners. Now there is 40TFSi available and the 55TFSi has been reintroduced, plus of course the hybrid TFSie, we can expect to see more petrol crs represented here

Can't see any reason this would be affected by the type of fuel as it is a tyre issue. To date the vast majority of A6s in the UK are diesel so it is inevitable that the most posts on here will be from diesel owners. Now there is 40TFSi available and the 55TFSi has been reintroduced, plus of course the hybrid TFSie, we can expect to see more petrol crs represented here
Funny enough I haven't really seen the 40tfsi models on the A6 I've seen the 45tfsi and the 55tfsi on the road. More especially in London.

Only appeared on the Configuration guide last week so may not even have delivered any yet

Reactions: Mkay315
Greetings from Prague guys.
Those that got the update - how exactly did you get it from the dealer?
I have an S6 Avant TDI (2020), spoke to the dealer regarding the throttle lag. The response was that it is normal and artificially introduced due to emission regulations. However I was told that there are large numbers of unhappy customers (including Q7, Q8 and so on owners), and it is being looked into by Audi.
According to the service guy there is no update for my VIN, more than that, there is no "update on request" available, and a note in the dealer system saying something among the lines of "do not update anything, solution in the works, ETA Q1 2021". He said it should be rolled out as a recall update slowly, VIN by VIN.
Anyone has any info supporting this?
I am asking as I am considering a remap box for the throttle response as an alternative (actually offered by the dealer, although he mentioned that clients that went that way said it was a considerable improvement but things could be better still). But if there is an official solution some time this spring - I guess I can wait.
Thanks for any input.

Hi Zazox, I asked a few times at dealer about this and was told my car was unaffected. Then when in for warranty work, it was given the update while in, by same dealer..!

Their explanation was the update is being rolled out by batch number, which goes by build year and month, so basically what your dealer is saying.

Don't waste your money, just wait for the update (23CK) as the difference is very noticeable and as many have said it should have come like this in the first place.

Reactions: Zazox
Hi Zazox, I asked a few times at dealer about this and was told my car was unaffected. Then when in for warranty work, it was given the update while in, by same dealer..!

Their explanation was the update is being rolled out by batch number, which goes by build year and month, so basically what your dealer is saying.

Don't waste your money, just wait for the update (23CK) as the difference is very noticeable and as many have said it should have come like this in the first place.

Thanks for the reassurance TG. Sounds very similar to what my dealer told me, so I guess I will be sticking to the original plan of waiting it out for a couple months.
How much of the "lag" issue did the update fix for you, on a scale of 1-10? Is it at least an 8 in your view? I know this is very subjective as everyone's expectations are different in the first place.

9/10 - Only because in efficiency I have noticed a slight delay. When I left the dealer after the update I could not believe the difference, it was like I was in a completely different car. In sport it is brutally quick, I can't imagine what it will be like in an S6 but imagine you will be very happy after the update.

Reactions: pp2414
I’m experiencing this delayed response with my 40TDI A6 when pulling out from junctions or slowing down approaching roundabouts and trying to then accelerate into it.
I’ve been to dealer and they are saying it drives just like all other 40TDI A6s.

The slow response and lag doesn’t always happen on my car, I can’t seem to replicate why it happens.
I just put it into s mode at junctions instead and return it to auto d mode after.
It’s my first Audi and A6 so haven’t got any experience to compare it against but I’d consider it kind of dangerous at the junctions when it doesn’t respond and you are trying to get out through a gap. Pressing throttle harder then just results in the front wheels spinning/tearing off as it’s not Quattro!

Does anyone know if this is a known issue on the 40TDI also?
Main Dealer was aware of it been issue for the 50s but said had nothing for the 40s.
I’m not too confident about trusting their word after reading various online forums where people say their dealers weren’t even aware of the 50s ECU updates to address issue.

Last edited:
I’m experiencing this delayed response with my 40TDI A6 when pulling out from junctions or slowing down approaching roundabouts and trying to then accelerate into it.
I’ve been to dealer and they are saying it drives just like all other 40TDI A6s.

The slow response and lag doesn’t always happen on my car, I can’t seem to replicate why it happens.
I just put it into s mode at junctions instead and return it to auto d mode after.
It’s my first Audi and A6 so haven’t got any experience to compare it against but I’d consider it kind of dangerous at the junctions when it doesn’t respond and you are trying to get out through a gap. Pressing throttle harder then just results in the front wheels spinning/tearing off as it’s not Quattro!

Main Dealer was aware of it been issue for the 50s but said had nothing for the 40s.
I’m not too confident about trusting their word after reading various online forums where people say their dealers weren’t even aware of the 50s ECU updates to address issue.
If this is your first car with the Audi S-Tronic transmission, then the occasional gearbox delay is perfectly normal - its a 'feature' of the semi-auto gearbox. You get used to it eventually, I certainly have on my 40 TDI Quattro.

Same here on my 40TDi, I just put it into 'S' mode at junctions, just like you do.

I had the update (23CK) on my 2020 A6 50tdi on Sept. 29th while in for warranty work, the difference is very noticeable! I thought I was in sport mode when I pulled out from dealership but was in drive.

I didn't feel the lag was that bad before the update but I now think it was, the shifts are now much quicker and I haven't had the problem when pulling from junctions when slowly approaching and need to pull out quickly into moving traffic. Before it would take a second before anything would happen, but now the power is there straight away. In sport its brutal, it feels like a different beast now IMO. Sorry can't compare to a BMW as not driven one.

I asked about the update a few months ago and was told it did not effect my car, then when in the other week they said it was carried out while in. I asked why and was told the update was being rolled out by batch number which is determined by build year and month - this could be dealer BS but that's what they said.

Greeting from South Korea.
Hi, I have same issue regarding lag, and I tried to get software update with "23CK" at dealer in Korea. However, they were not able to find out with 23CK, but informed that they can help to solve the issue if I let them know corresponding SVM code instead 23CK. Would you do me a favor for seeking a SVM code for 23CK?
In Korea many owner have same issue, but most of them installed pedal box instead actual improvement. I am sorry to tell you, but I need your help please.

Mine does this when doing slow turns at full lock and I was initially concerned by it but it appears to be perfectly normal!

It is called tyre skipping and seems to be caused by the wide tyres - it is more noticeable in cold weather as your tyre’s rubber compound hardens I believe.

https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/mercedes-tyre-skipping-official-statement.219393/

I had a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pro all weather tyres installed this week to deal with the cold weather better - all tyre skipping noise is now gone due to the better grip/softer rubber compound on the tyre.

Hi All

Has anybody had this software update done on an S6?