Cab – 2.0 TDI SLine or 3.0 TDI Quattro?

walnut1976

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a cabriolet and would like to hear opinions on which is the better model to purchase? i have found an 07 2.0 TDI SLine with 22K and an 06 3.0 TDI Quattro with 36K within £500 of each other.

Are the 2 models comparable on running costs – servicing, mpg, tyres, tax etc?
Which is the better model to purchase is the quattro going to eat through tyres? Commute is 20 miles each way.

Would appreciate people's experience and opinions?

Obviously running costs are going to be higher on the 3.0, the mpg is a lot lower than the 2.0. I've found servicing costs (quotes from main dealers) roughly double on the 3.0 than the fixed price servicing on the 2.0. My 3.0 quattro does seem to use tyres relatively quickly but looking at other threads all B7 A4's do. What i can say though is forget all the negatives, when you feel the acceleration and performance of the 3.0 tdi, you will be blown away and i would definitely recommend it. I do roughly the same commute as you daily and to be honest its not that much different in fuel costs than my previous non audi 2.0 tdi.
Mileage on the tdi engines is not a problem at all, the 14k difference between the two you are looking at is virtually irrelavent.

Last edited:
Obviously running costs are going to be higher on the 3.0, the mpg is a lot lower than the 2.0. I've found servicing costs (quotes from main dealers) roughly double on the 3.0 than the fixed price servicing on the 2.0. My 3.0 quattro does seem to use tyres relatively quickly but looking at other threads all B7 A4's do. What i can say though is forget all the negatives, when you feel the acceleration and performance of the 3.0 tdi, you will be blown away and i would definitely recommend it. I do roughly the same commute as you daily and to be honest its not that much different in fuel costs than my previous non audi 2.0 tdi.
Mileage on the tdi engines is not a problem at all, the 14k difference between the two you are looking at is virtually irrelavent.

Could'nt have said it better myself although when its pushing almost 600nm of torque it really is something else.:arco:

Try and get hold of the 3.0 Tdi TDV as its 233bhp standard instead of 205bhp, although i think this was the norm after 2006 onward.

All quattros eat tyres unfortuantly but its not to bad, at the end of the day its worth having especially in the rain and bad driving conditions.

Could'nt have said it better myself although when its pushing almost 600nm of torque it really is something else.:arco:

Try and get hold of the 3.0 Tdi TDV as its 233bhp standard instead of 205bhp, although i think this was the norm after 2006 onward.

All quattros eat tyres unfortuantly but its not to bad, at the end of the day its worth having especially in the rain and bad driving conditions.

The 201bhp is still very good, Dazmo. Plus when i finally get it remapped i will be up there with you!!!

:moa:

140 or 170 bhp?

I have a 3.0TDI and a friend has a 170 2.0 TDI both quattro/manual and mine is avant, both do exactly the same mpg - 38.

Presumably the 140 is a bit more frugle and the fwd better still.

Chris